The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

It seems alright now I'm searching event names, but when I was trying to find matches involving two names it was throwing completely unrelated stuff at me.

On the positive side, I've now also watched a bunch of Wrestlemania X-8, and Brainbusters vs Hart Foundation as recommended earlier. Fantastic stuff.
Now watching nWo Wolfpac vs Four Horsemen from an episode of Nitro, so far featuring a confusing promo from Scott Steiner about DDP's wife.

Edited by Polish Dad

Looking to watch some more Arn Anderson stuff, is there anything on the network from when he was belting?

I'd go with Anderson and Larry Zbyszko vs Ricky Steamboat and Dustin Rhodes at Clash of the Champions 17 from November 91. Everyone is awesome in that match.

You fell for a trick question - you silly mark!

Arn Anderson was always belting. There is no "non belting period" to watch. Just type "Arn Anderson" into the search function and providing he's not in there with utter shit, it'll be a great match!

He's a fantastic talent and always watchable, but did he ever have a great match in WWF?

I'll just about allow the Survivor Series 1988 tag match although to be fair there were approximately 73 decent workers in that match.

Any others?

He really didn't have that many matches there that weren't jobber deals, but I personally enjoyed every match The Brainbusters had with Demolition, The Harts and Strike Force. Judging from this listing..

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/arn-anderson-105.html?prom_id=1

He didn't work any singles matches?

Genuinely thankful for the recommendations (especially as the Network search function seems a bit wank).

Ended up watching Anderson/Flair vs Doom w/ Teddy Long which turned out to be a fun little tag ending in a double count-out brawl. Ron Simmons was an absolute beast back then.

if you liked that then check out the Anderson/Windham vs Doom street fight from Starrcade 90. short but brilliant

• Paid Members

Genuinely thankful for the recommendations (especially as the Network search function seems a bit wank).

Ended up watching Anderson/Flair vs Doom w/ Teddy Long which turned out to be a fun little tag ending in a double count-out brawl. Ron Simmons was an absolute beast back then.

if you liked that then check out the Anderson/Windham vs Doom street fight from Starrcade 90. short but brilliant

Just started watching it and Arn comes to the ring wearing a baseball cap, which he turns backwards. Its already brilliant! He means business.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8oyh_39-90-12-16-doom-vs-barry-windham-arn-anderson-street-fight-starrcade_sport

Edited by Rob Lowe

Watched Smackdown from September 12, 2002, yes the Billy and Chuck wedding - awful, it was at the time and still is now. Hard to believe that it is only 15 years ago, as to be quite honest the attitude shown by the fans and the comments made by everyone involved is unreal! Then the show ends by Brock threatening a pregnant woman (Sara) if I didn't know better I would have sworn that it was all written by Vince Russo - classy TV folks!

You say it's only 15 years ago, but that's still quite a while ago. I was 17, and that feels like a lifetime ago.

That period was still coming out of the attitude era and another 6 years before they officially went PG.

That's not me condoning any comments that were made, I haven't watched it properly since it first aired, but things have moved on alot in that time

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

That was a great angle. I don't know that they should have gone that far and taken the publicity when they had no intention of completing it but as a standalone angle with Bischoff playing the minister gloriously and Three Minute Warning attacking, it was ace.

• Awards Moderator

Yesterday I saw a display ad yesterday stating Fastlane was on "Sunday". "That's odd," I thought. "Could've sworn it was next week."

I happened to be up playing on the PS4 so I popped the Network on my phone beside me while I played. At 1am, sure enough Fastlane starts. The opener is a women's tag with Sasha etc. I wasn't really paying attention. Five minutes in I hear Cole bleating about "Rear View". "That's weird. I thought Naomi just forfeited the title through injury..." but I ignored it. Then after that there was mention of Kevin Owens winning the IC title from Ambrose on the pre-show. Kevin Owens struts out for a match with Ziggler brandishing the IC title. "Why have they booked him to carry the IC? Isn't that telegraphing that he's going to lose the Universal title to Goldberg? Why aren't they mentioning that Owens has the Universal title? And isn't this heel v heel?"

I pressed "back" and realised it was Fastlane 2016 :-S Weirder still is how long it took me to notice amid games of Blood Bowl.

Survivor Series 05.

Id seen the bit on YouTube before but I'm fucking astounded Vince saying the n-word hasn't been clipped from the network

As I'll forget what I saw if I don't post when I get round to watching them 2002 birthday RAW - 8-4-2002

Top storyline was Undertaker being pissed that Flair can't honor his Backlash title shot promise, Austin deciding he deserved it. Both have matches to determine the no1 contender Taker Vs RVD and Austin Vs Hall. Both decent for the time period. Both win and in the end they are going to fight at Backlash.

Other highlights - This was the beginning of the more serious Molly Holly character, she looked hot before she fully changed her hair color to brown I thought. Jazz is also involved as she wants her title back. 

William Regal is gold around this time. He slays me in a promo with Trish talking about how she always has her "Bristols" out. Then has a 2 second match with Spike Dudley where he tries to hide brass knucks but Spike grabs them nails him and pins him for the ever so missed European Championship.

Big Show was at one of his slowest and most pointless periods although it was nice to see Perfect in the ring against him.

Brock Lesnar is green as anything here with some generic music and just standing behind Paul Heyman but he really doesnt have the aura that would develop later in the year.

The Hardcore Title felt stale here, can't remember when it really became like that but I guess the last interest I gave it was Taker's reign a few months earlier. Strange thing here was Bubba Dudley break dancing to counteract the Spinaroonie, I know he did it around this time but when the match finishes they play the hip-hop-elevator-sex music he used instead of his usual theme, it almost seemed like they were going to go much further with that aspect of the gimmick but it looked shit so thank god they didn't. I'm sure Cena would say the same if he watched it.

Overall the set, camera work and feel is newer than 2001 or even a few weeks before but the Attitude era hasn't gone at this point. Smackdown feels fresher and more interesting already from the bits I skimmed through but Raw is very transitional right now.

Next up in probably a week or so is the real Triple H years of 2003/4 and 2005 to a lesser extent at the time points. 

EDIT: Just realized this year will be a true birthday RAW although living in Asia it doesn't air until Tuesday morning but will make space to watch that one. 

Edited by simonworden