The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Watched a handful of PPVs from 2001 over the bank holiday weekend - Judgment Day, King Of The Ring, Invasion and Summerslam. Mid-2000 is when I got back into wrestling, so it's a time that I remember reasonably vividly, though with the exception of Wrestlemania 17 and Invasion, I'd not gone back and watched any of it in years.

What really stands out is the sheer rate of change going on between these shows - it's not latter day WCW or '98-'99 WWF levels of title changes and swerve turns, but there's a lot going on, especially compared to the kind of glacial pace that WWE seems to have been moving at for the past couple of years. I'm not sure any promotion has consistently nailed the exact balance of long-term storytelling with just the right amount of short-term moments to keep you hooked while waiting for the big pay-off, but the contrast between today's product and then is massive.

Just as an example of how quickly things were changing;

Backlash: The Power Trip beat Brothers Of Destruction for the Tag belts, the WWF Title, and the Intercontinental Title.

Judgment Day: Kane beats Triple H for the Intercontinental Title, Benoit and Jericho become number one contenders for the Tag Team Titles.

King Of The Ring: The Dudley Boyz are the Tag Team Champions, and feuding with Spike Dudley. So Austin and Triple H's reign of terror as tag champs lasts all of two months, the guys who beat them don't do it on a pay-per-view, and don't even make it til the next PPV with the belts anyway. 

Then it all goes mental from Invasion onward, and everyone has a title, but it's barely anyone who had one on the last PPV. Kane went from feuding with Triple H over the Intercontinental Title to being mystery partner for Spike Dudley, having apparently dropped the belt to Albert (who's only been on the PPVs as a lackey for X-Pac, and then Albert losing it to Lance Storm by Summerslam). I know a lot of this came about from the Invasion creating the need to reshape the roster, and a preponderance of new belts coming in, but just watching the PPVs without TV shows in-between it feels like there's so much that's gone on from one show to the next - whereas modern day WWE I'm sure you could miss two or three consecutive PPVs, probably more, and never feel like you're missing any part of the story.

Other things I enjoyed are that pretty much every time someone's interviewed from WWF New York, they complain about being "stuck" at WWF New York rather than being on the card - a great way to sell your "must see" attraction, that - pretty much everything Nick Patrick did during the Invasion angle (the Nick Patrick/Earl Hebner match being a guilty pleasure favourite of mine) and, I hate to say it, (pre-Alliance) heel Stone Cold. Out of context, it's just Austin putting in some absolutely brilliant, utterly deranged performances. He comes across as convincingly desperate, intense, and a real nasty piece of work - what lets it down is Debra being such a big part of so many of his angles, and a lot of the nonsense around hugging Vince McMahon all the time; but when you're only watching the big shows and not the TV, you only see the good stuff. 

Edited by BomberPat

• 1 month later...

It's an amazing time to be a wrestling fan! There is quality wrestling coming out nearly every day and weekends are packed! But for various reasons I haven't been able to watch wrestling coherently for the past 4 months, but finally I've got time to do it again. I've managed to finish everything I wanted to see from February, and from March and on.... things explode.

I've been keeping up with the hype and there is so much from all over the world I feel I can't miss! Yet, it's nearly impossible to catch-up if I want to see all I want. Either I continue from where I am 18 weeks behind and miss out on the in-the-now feeling, or I have to drop a ton of amazing stuff which would be even worse. Maybe I'll do a mix one day and jump to "right now" and try and watch the backlog whenever I run out of shows I need to watch? For now I'll just continue where I'm at and hopefully someone might see (or remember) something great they want to watch from 4 months ago!

Top-20, Week 10, 2018:

1. March 10, 2018 - John Klinger (c) -vs- WALTER -vs- Ilja Dragunov - (wXw Unified Title; 3-Way) [*** 3/4] (wXw)
2. March 9, 2018 - Dalton Castle (c) -vs- Jay Lethal - (ROH Title) [*** 1/2] (ROH)
3. March 10, 2018 - Bobby Gunns (c) -vs- Mike Bailey - (wXw Shotgun Title) [*** 1/2] (wXw)
4. March 6, 2018 - Tetsuya Naito -vs- Taichi [*** 1/2] (NJPW)
5. March 11, 2018 - Hijo de LA Park -vs- Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. [*** 1/2] (MDA)
6. March 9, 2018 - Michael Elgin -vs- Tomohiro Ishii - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [*** 1/2] (NJPW)
7. March 6, 2018 - Mustafa Ali -vs- Buddy Murphy - (WWE Cruiserweight Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [*** 1/4] (WWE)
8. March 11, 2018 - LA Park -vs- Rey Wagner -vs- Zorro - (3-Way) [*** 1/4] (MDA)
9. March 6, 2018 - Kazuchika Okada -vs- Will Ospreay [*** 1/4] (NJPW)
10. March 10, 2018 - Absolute Andy -vs- Matt Riddle - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Quarterfinal) [*** 1/4] (wXw)
11. March 11, 2018 - The Tiger -vs- Emperador Azteca [*** 1/4] (MDA)
12. March 6, 2018 - SANADA -vs- YOSHI-HASHI [*** 1/4] (NJPW)
13. March 9, 2018 - Marty Scurll -vs- Punishment Martinez [*** 1/4] (ROH)
14. March 6, 2018 - Minoru Suzuki (c) -vs- Togi Makabe - (IWGP Intercontinental Title) [***] (NJPW)
15. March 9, 2018 - Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson & Hangman Page (c) -vs- Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky - (ROH 6-Man Tag Title; Las Vegas Street Fight) [***] (ROH)
16. March 11, 2018 - Absolute Andy -vs- David Starr - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Final) [***] (wXw)
17. March 11, 2018 - Zack Sabre Jr. -vs- Tetsuya Naito - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [***] (NJPW)
18. March 10, 2018 - Timothy Thatcher -vs- Lucky Kid - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Quarterfinal) [***] (wXw)
19. March 11, 2018 - Absolute Andy -vs- Timothy Thatcher - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Semi-Final) [***] (wXw)
20. March 9, 2018 - Lucky Kid -vs- Matt Sydal - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [***] (wXw)

MARCH 5, 2018

CMLL - "Lunes Arena Puebla" - March 5, 2018, Heroica Puebla de Zaragoza, Puebla, Mexico - (2 hrs)
March 5, 2018, Heroica Puebla de Zaragoza, Puebla, Mexico - Arena Puebla
1. Black Tiger & Meyer -vs- Fuerza Chicana & King Jaguar [* 1/2]
2. Akuma & Espanto Jr. -vs- Rey Samuray & Tigre Rojo Jr. [* 3/4]
3. Tritón & Audaz & Stigma -vs- Puma & Tiger & El Malayo [** 1/4]
4. Hechicero & Kráneo & Stuka Jr. -vs- Sam Adonis & Johnny Idol & Titán [**]
5. Mistico & La Bestia Del Ring & Rush -vs- Mr. Niebla & Diamante Azul & Euforia [* 1/2]
6. Cavernario -vs- Volador Jr. [*]

Slow start to the week with a standard Arena Puebla show from CMLL with a very disappointing main event which was over before it got any good. However it sets up a title match between the two for the next week which should be good.

WWE - "Monday Night RAW/Main Event" - March 5, 2018, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - (3 hrs)
March 5, 2018, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - BMO Harris Bradley Center (10,000 Fans)
Main Event #283
1. Apollo -vs- Curt Hawkins [*]
2. Gran Metalik & Kalisto -vs- Ariya Daivari & Tony Nese [*]
Monday Night RAW #1293
3. Asuka -vs- Nia Jax [3/4*]
4. Cesaro & Sheamus -vs- Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson [* 1/4]
5. John Cena -vs- Goldust [*]
6. Bayley -vs- Mandy Rose [* 1/4]
7. Braun Strowman -vs- Elias - (Symphony Of Destruction Falls Count Anywhere Match) [* 3/4]
8. Bray Wyatt -vs- Rhyno [1/4*]
9. Finn Balor & Seth Rollins -vs- The Miz & Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel - (Handicap) [**]

Mostly below par in-ring. Better out of the ring with the Ronda stuff, but WWE is still one of the promotions which is more of a chore to watch than most (of the many) promotions I watch. 

MARCH 6, 2018

NJPW - "46th ANNIVERSARY SHOW" - March 6, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (3 hrs)
March 6, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Ota City General Gym (3,864 Fans)
1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask & KUSHIDA & Ryusuke Taguchi -vs- Yuji Nagata & Toa Henare & Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino & Tetsuhiro Yagi [** 1/2]
2. Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano -vs- Juice Robinson & David Finlay & Toa Henare [* 3/4]
3. SHO & YOH (c) -vs- BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi -vs- Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado - (IWGP Junior Tag Title; 3-Way) [** 3/4]
4. SANADA -vs- YOSHI-HASHI [*** 1/4]
5. Tetsuya Naito -vs- Taichi [*** 1/2]
6. Minoru Suzuki (c) -vs- Togi Makabe - (IWGP Intercontinental Title) [***]
7. Kazuchika Okada -vs- Will Ospreay [*** 1/4]

Real good anniversary show from New Japan. I had dreamed of an extra gear in the main event, for I feel those two might create a special rivalry down the line, once Ospreay starts wrestling like a man instead of being a stunt kid. Great to see Naito getting another great match out of Taichi!

DRAGON GATE - "KOTOKA ROAD TO FINAL - THE ENDING" - March 6, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 6, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuean Hall (1,850 Fans)
1. Hyo Watanabe & Shun Skywalker & U-T & Yuki Yoshioka -vs- Gamma & Kaito Ishida & Mondai Ryu & Shachihoko BOY [* 1/2]
2. K-ness -vs- Punch Tominaga [1/2*]
3. Ben-K & Big R Shimizu -vs- Takashi Yoshida & Yasushi Kanda [* 3/4]
4. Ryo Saito (c) -vs- Shingo Takagi - (Open The Owarai Gate Title) [* 1/2]
5. T-Hawk & Eita & El Lindaman -vs- Susumu Yokosuka & Genki Horiguchi & Kzy [**]
6. Masaaki Mochizuki & YAMATO & Don Fujii & Kagetora & Yosuke Santa Maria -vs- Kotoka & Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi & CIMA & Dragon Kid [** 1/4]
7. Kotoka -vs- Oji Shiiba [*]

Dragon Gate's farewell to Kotoka. He's one that haven't made much of an impression of me, but he clearly had potential which was not realized before he was forced into retirement. The show however was the usual Dragin Gate "repeat-on-autopilot".

CMLL - "Martes Arena Mexico" - March 6, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - (2 hrs)
March 6, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - Arena Mexico
1. Mercurio & Pequeño Nitro -vs- Stukita & Último Dragóncito [* 3/4]
2. Magnus & Flyer & Príncipe Diamante -vs- Metálico & Príncipe Odín Jr. & Sangre Azteca [* 1/2]
3. Hijo del Signo -vs- Arkángel de la Muerte - (Lighting Match) [* 1/2]
4. Guerrero Maya Jr. & Drone & Fuego -vs- Misterioso Jr. & Disturbio & Sagrado [**]
5. Mephisto & Ephesto & Luciferno -vs- Dragón Lee & Blue Panther Jr. & Soberano Jr. [** 1/4]
6. Rush & Kráneo & Pierroth -vs- Marco Corleone & Gran Guerrero & Máscara Año 2000 [* 3/4]

Another plain CMLL show. Easy to digest, not much to remember.

CMLL - "Martes Arena Coliseo Guadalajara" - March 6, 2018, Guadalajara, Mexico - (1/2 hrs)
March 6, 2018, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico - Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1. Titán & Esfinge & Tritón -vs- Sansón & Cuatrero & Forastero [** 1/4]
2. Último Guerrero & Euforia & Furia Roja -vs- Mistico & Diamante Azul & Valiente [**]

CMLL's Guadalajara show the same day looked better, but they didn't give us the big main event of Atlantis defending his Light Heavyweigth Title against Cavernario, so it was a bit of a bummer as well.

WWE - "SmackDown Live/205 Live" - March 6, 2018, Los Angeles, California, USA - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 6, 2018, Los Angeles, California, USA - Staples Center
SmackDown Live #968
1. Jinder Mahal -vs- Randy Orton [* 1/2]
2. Becky Lynch -vs- Carmella [*]
3. AJ Styles -vs- Dolph Ziggler [**]
4. Sami Zayn -vs- AJ Styles -vs- Baron Corbin -vs- Dolph Ziggler -vs- Kevin Owens - (Fatal Five Way) [** 1/2]
Mixed Match Challenge #8
5. Alexa Bliss & Braun Strowman -vs- Jimmy Uso & Naomi - (WWE Mixed Match Challenge - Quarterfinal) [**]
205 Live #67
6. Drew Gulak -vs- Mark Andrews - (WWE Cruiserweight Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [** 1/2]
7. Akira Tozawa & Hideo Itami -vs- Nemeth Alexander & Scott James [*]
8. Mustafa Ali -vs- Buddy Murphy - (WWE Cruiserweight Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [*** 1/4]

Smackdown... okay once we got the the main event. The Mixed Match Challenge.... adorable with Braun and Bliss! 205 Live.... Quality! First time I've really opened up for Ali with Murphy bumping like a madman for him! At this point the best TV match WWE has offered in 2018, and better than most PPV as well.

MARCH 7, 2018

DNA - “DNA 42” - March 7, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 7, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Shin-Kiba 1st RING (147 Fans)
1. MAO & Rising HAYATO -vs- Choun-Shiryu & Rekka - (1st Sanshiro Takagi DNA SUPER TAG TOURNAMENT – Round 1) [* 1/4]
2. Ethan Page -vs- Tomoya Hirata [3/4*]
3. Yuki Ueno & Koju Takeda -vs- Keisuke Okuda & Kengo - (1st Sanshiro Takagi DNA SUPER TAG TOURNAMENT – Round 1) [* 1/2]
4. Minoru Tanaka -vs- Mizuki Watase [*]
5. Naomi Yoshimura & Akiro Jo -vs- Daiki Shimomura & Nobuhiro Shimatani - (1st Sanshiro Takagi DNA SUPER TAG TOURNAMENT – Round 1) [* 1/2]
6. Kouki Iwasaki & Ryota Nakatsu -vs- Kota Umeda & Shunma Katsumata - (1st Sanshiro Takagi DNA SUPER TAG TOURNAMENT – Round 1) [* 1/4]

DDT Universe keeps pouring out shows on their Network. Real value for money! However it offers too much generic indy style wrestling for my liking, meaning a lot of the smaller house shows are fairly forgettable.... like this one.

IWRG - March 7, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1/2 hrs)
March 7, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - Arena Naucalpan
1. Aramis & Máscara Magica Jr. -vs- Atomic Star & Lunatic Xtreme [* 1/4]
2. Capo del Norte & Capo del Sur & Eterno -vs- Hijo del Alebrije & Leo & Rafy [*]
3. Ovett -vs- Fantasma de la Ópera [3/4*]

....and a forgettable mid-week show from IWRG before the good one they would deliver during the weekend.

WWE - "WWE NXT #292-294" - March 7, 2018, Winter Park, Florida, USA - (3 hrs)
March 7, 2018, Winter Park, Florida, USA - Full Sail University
NXT #292
1. Pete Dunne & Roderick Strong -vs- Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan - (Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic 2018 - Round 1) [** 1/2]
2. Ember Moon -vs- Aliyah [3/4*]
3. Adam Cole -vs- Kassius Ohno [** 3/4]
NXT #293
4. Akam & Rezar -vs- Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford - (Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic 2018 - Semi-Final) [*]
5. Lars Sullivan -vs- John Silver [1/2*]
6. Pete Dunne & Roderick Strong -vs- Eric Young & Alexander Wolfe - (Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic 2018 - Semi-Final) [**]
NXT #294
7. Pete Dunne & Roderick Strong -vs- Akam & Rezar - (Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic 2018 - Final) [** 1/4]
8. Kairi Sane -vs- Vanessa Borne [*]
9. Killian Dain -vs- Lars Sullivan [*]

The positive with being 4 months behind is being able to watch entire TV-tapings without having to wait for months to get the feel of the entire show. Not NXT at their most essential, but angles are always buzzing and we got a few good matches to boot.

MARCH 8, 2018

BJW - "IKKITOUSEN ~ STRONG CLIMB - DAY 1" - March 8, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 8, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Shin-Kiba 1st RING (311 Fans)
1. Hideyoshi Kamitani & Masaki Morihiro -vs- Kazumi Kikuta & Takuho Kato [* 1/2]
2. Fuminori Abe & Tatsuhiko Yoshino & Kota Sekifuda -vs- Shinobu & Kankuro Hoshino & Yuya Aoki [* 1/2]
3. Daisuke Sekimoto & Ryota Hama -vs- Yasufumi Nakanoue & Ryuichi Kawakami [**]
4. Ryuji Ito & Isami Kodaka & Ryuichi Sekine -vs- Masaya Takahashi & Takayuki Ueki & Toshiyuki Sakuda - (Barbed Wire Board Death Match) [**]
5. Yoshihisa Uto -vs- Kazuki Hashimoto - (Ikkitousen ~ Strong Climb - Block B) [**]
6. Daichi Hashimoto -vs- Takuya Nomura - (Ikkitousen ~ Strong Climb - Block A) [** 3/4]
7. Masashi Takeda & Takumi Tsukamoto (c) -vs- Jaki Numazawa & Kenji Fukimoto - (BJW Tag Title; EXCUSABLE HOMICIDE ~ 4 Corners Pain Death Match) [** 1/4]

Big Japan starting their version of the G1 Climax with the Strong Climb. Unfortunately BJW small shows are usually pretty bad and lifeless. This however is one of the better I've seen. Not that there is anything amazing going on, but there was some motivation all over this one.

BAR WRESTLING - "Bar Wrestling 10: March Of The Pigs" -  March 8, 2018, Baldwin Park, California, USA - (2 hrs)
March 8, 2018, Baldwin Park, California, USA - American Legion #241
1. B-Boy & Kevin Martenson & Scorpio Sky -vs- Eric Watts & Marty Martinez & Matt Cross [**]
2. Brian Cage -vs- Tyler Bateman [**]
3. Britt Baker & Chelsea Green -vs- Heather Monroe & Laura James [* 1/2]
4. Joey Ryan -vs- Hot Young Briley [*]
5. Killer Kross -vs- Willie Mack [* 3/4]
6. Taya Valkyrie -vs- Tessa Blanchard [* 1/2]
7. Penta El Zero M & Rey Fenix -vs- Ortiz & Santana [***]

BAR shows are fun. Always a ton of great wrestlers, but not always great cards. Mostly fun and shenanigans on this show, but The Lucha Brothers where there to give a high impact main event against LAX!

wXw - "Inner Circle 5" - March 8, 2018, Essen, Germany - (1 1/4 hrs)
March 8, 2018, Essen, Germany - wXw Wrestling Academy (170 Fans)
1. Travis Banks -vs- Alexander James  [** 1/4]
2. Timothy Thatcher -vs- Julian Pace [**]
3. David Starr -vs- Chris Brookes [**]
4. WALTER -vs- Jonah Rock [** 1/4]
5. Killer Kelly -vs- Veda Scott [* 3/4]
6. Mike Bailey -vs- Mark Haskins [** 3/4]

wXw starts their big week with a good warm-up show at their Academy. Not the arena for anything legendary happening, but they all gave it good effort to set the tone for 16 Carat Gold 2018.

MARCH 9, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 1" - March 9, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 9, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,719 Fans)
1. Hirooki Goto & Toru Yano & Chuckie T -vs- Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino & Tetsuhiro Yagi [* 1/2]
2. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. -vs- Bad Luck Fale & Tanga Loa [* 3/4]
3. Zack Sabre Jr. & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado -vs- Tetsuya Naito & SANADA & BUSHI [**]
4. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka & Taichi -vs- Hiroshi Tanahashi & David Finlay & Toa Henare [** 1/2]
5. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI -vs- Kota Ibushi & Chase Owens [**]
6. Juice Robinson -vs- Yujiro Takahashi - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [***]
7. Michael Elgin -vs- Tomohiro Ishii - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [*** 1/2]

For Friday New Japan starts their annual New Japan Cup with two Round 1 matches. Fairly good vibe at Korakuen Hall. Yujiro gave a much better effort that he normally does. Elgin vs Ishii was stiff as hell! Lost steam along the way, but a few murdering moves got the blood pumping again for the climax! Among one of the week's highlights.

CMLL - "Super Viernes" - March 9, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 9, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - Arena Mexico (5,000 Fans)
1. Cancerbero & Raziel -vs- Astral & Eléctrico [* 3/4]
2. Dalys & La Seductora & Tiffany -vs- Princesa Sugehit & Lady Maravilla & Sanely [** 1/4]
3. Rey Cometa & Guerrero Maya Jr. & The Panther -vs- Puma & Johnny Idol & Kawato San [**]
4. 8-Man Battle Royal [1/2*]
5. Ephesto & Mephisto -vs- Titán & Tritón - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Round 1) [* 3/4]
6. Diamante Azul & Stuka Jr. -vs- Blue Panther & Blue Panther Jr. - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Round 1) [* 1/2]
7. Rey Bucanero & Terrible -vs- Okumura & Sam Adonis - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Round 1) [*]
8. Marco Corleone & Niebla Roja -vs- Cavernario & Mr. Niebla - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Round 1) [* 1/4]
9. Diamante Azul & Stuka Jr. -vs- Ephesto & Mephisto - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [* 1/2]
10. Rey Bucanero & Terrible -vs- Marco Corleone & Niebla Roja - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [*]
11. Rey Bucanero & Terrible -vs- Diamante Azul & Stuka Jr. - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Semi-Final) [**]
12. Ángel de Oro & Atlantis & Volador Jr. -vs- El Cuatrero & Negro Casas & Último Guerrero [** 1/4]

These quick one-fall tournaments CMLL has been doing of late are unimpressive. No dull moments, but the matches are kind of over before they establish themselves into anything worthwild. So not to the standard we expect from CMLL of Friday nights.

ROH - "16th Anniversary Show" - March 9, 2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - (3 hrs)
March 9, 2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall
1. Sumie Sakai -vs- Hana Kimura - (ROH Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Round 1) [**]
2. Tenille Dashwood -vs- Brandi Rhodes - (ROH Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [* 1/4]
3. Hiromu Takahashi -vs- Flip Gordon [** 1/2]
4. Marty Scurll -vs- Punishment Martinez [*** 1/4]
5. Kenny King (c) -vs- Silas Young - (ROH Television Title) [** 3/4]
6. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson & Hangman Page (c) -vs- Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky - (ROH 6-Man Tag Title; Las Vegas Street Fight) [***]
7. Cody -vs- Matt Taven - (Grudge Match) [** 1/2]
8. Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin (c) -vs- Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe - (ROH Tag Title) [** 3/4]
9. Dalton Castle (c) -vs- Jay Lethal - (ROH Title) [*** 1/2]

One of the best shows of the week. ROH's 16th Anniversary Show brought a top-to-bottom entertaining show, with a main event where things came together real well for two that have struggled to take things by storm of late. Both Lethal and Castle have been a bit "meh" in my eyes the year I've been following. Good, but not connecting 100%. Here they showed what they can deliver on a good day, and it's a level I hope they can be more consistent at. Otherwise the big surprise was Scurll against Martinez. It was actually really fun! 

wXw - "16 Carat Gold 2018 - Day 1" - March 9, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - (2 1/4 hrs)
March 9, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - Turbinenhalle (970 Fans)
1. Emil Sitoci -vs- Ivan Kiev -vs- Julian Nero -vs- Julian Pace - (4-Way) [* 1/2]
2. Keith Lee -vs- Avalanche - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [** 1/2]
3. Chris Brookes -vs- Alexander James - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [** 1/4]
4. Lucky Kid -vs- Matt Sydal - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [***]
5. David Starr -vs- Emil Sitoci - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [** 1/2]
6. WALTER & Mike Bailey -vs- John Klinger & Bobby Gunns [** 1/4]
7. Matt Riddle -vs- Da Mack - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [1/4*]
8. Travis Banks -vs- Mark Haskins - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [** 3/4]
9. Timothy Thatcher -vs- Jonah Rock - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [** 1/2]
10. Absolute Andy -vs- Marius Al-Ani - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Round 1) [**]

The 16 Carat Gold 2018! Round 1, and it's good. All good! Lacking perhaps a real stick-out match, but the show was buzzing!

MARCH 10, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 2" - March 10, 2018, Nagoya, Japan - (3 hrs)
March 10, 2018, Nagoya, Japan - Aichi Prefectural Gym (4,016 Fans)
1. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado -vs- Ryusuke Taguchi & Ren Narita [* 1/2]
2. David Finlay & Tetsuhiro Yagi -vs- Yuji Nagata & Shota Umino [* 1/4]
3. Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano -vs- Michael Elgin & Tomoyuki Oka [* 3/4]
4. Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Takashi Iizuka -vs- Juice Robinson & Toa Henare [**]
5. Tetsuya Naito & SANADA & BUSHI -vs- Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr. & Taka Michinoku [* 3/4]
6. Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI & Chuckie T -vs- Kota Ibushi & Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens & Hikuleo [**]
7. Bad Luck Fale -vs- Lance Archer - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [**]
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi -vs- Taichi - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [** 3/4]

Got to admit this was a disappointing show from the New Japan Cup tour. Two more tournament matches. Wasn't expecting anything from Archer/Fale, but with Tanahashi one expect miracles.... even against Taichi, who just came off a great match with Naito. However Tanahashi didn't take enough time off to fix his injuries and is not in top form, so we only got a semi exciting battle which went longer than it needed.

DDT - “YOKOHAMA TWILIGHT 2018 ~YAYOI~” - March 10, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 10, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - Yokohama Radiant Hall (225 Fans)
1. Masahiro Takanashi -vs- Daiki Shimomura [*]
2. Keisuke Ishii -vs- Daisuke Sasaki [**]
3. 9-Man Iron Man Heavymetalweight Title – Royal Rumble By Age [*]
4. Kota Umeda & Yuki Ueno & Koju Takeda -vs- KUDO & Yukio Sakaguchi & Tomomitsu Matsunaga [* 1/2]
5. The Great Homo -vs- Tetsuya Endo [1/4*]
6. Kazusada Higuchi & Kouki Iwasaki -vs- HARASHIMA & Ethan Page [* 1/4]
7. Konosuke Takeshita & Akito -vs- Shuji Ishikawa & Mad Paulie [*]
8. Konosuke Takeshita & Akito & Shunma Katsumata -vs- Shuji Ishikawa & Tetsuya Endo & Mad Paulie [* 1/2]

A DDT house show where you wish there was less of The Great Homo (Dino) and more imagination put into the rest of the card.

TOKYO JOSHI PRO - “LET’S GO! GO! IF YOU GO! WHEN YOU GO! IF YOU GET LOST JUST GO TO YOKOHAMA!” - March 10, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 10, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - Yokohama Radiant Hall (276 Fans)
1. Shoko Nakajima & Raku -vs- Hikari & Hinano [* 1/4]
2. Yuka Sakazaki -vs- Nodoka-oneesan -vs- Yuki Kamifuku - (3-Way) [1/2*]
3. Rika Tatsumi -vs- Maki Ito [3/4*]
4. Yuu -vs- Hyper Misao [*]
5. Sakisama & Azusa Christie -vs- Mizuki & Marika Kobashi [* 1/4]
6. Miyu Yamashita (c) -vs- Maho Kurone - (TOKYO Princess Of Princess Title) [* 1/2]

Cute wrestling, but not anywhere close to quality wrestling. The main event might have met the lower standards of a good promotion, but TJP is not the place you go for those classic matches.

ROH - "ROH on SBG #340-343" - March 10, 2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - (3 1/2 hrs)
March 10, 2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall
ROH on SBG #340
1. Kelly Klein -vs- Mandy Leon - (ROH Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [* 1/2]
2. Hangman Page & Marty Scurll -vs- Brandon & Brent [* 1/4]
3. Flip Gordon -vs- Scorpio Sky [* 1/2]
ROH on SBG #341
4. Sumie Sakai -vs- Kagetsu - (ROH Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [** 1/4]
4. Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe -vs- Dalton Castle & Kenny King [**]
5. Cheeseburger -vs- Kikutaro [1/4*]
6. Mayu Iwatani -vs- Deonna Purrazzo - (ROH Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Quarterfinal) [**]
ROH on SBG #342
7. Punishment Martinez -vs- Shane Taylor [* 1/2]
8. Jay Lethal -vs- Caprice Coleman [* 3/4]
9. Matt Taven -vs- Christopher Daniels -vs- Cody - (3-Way) [**]
ROH on SBG #343
10. Hiromu Takahashi -vs- Frankie Kazarian [**]
11. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson -vs- Brian Milonas & The Beer City Bruiser -vs- Shaheem Ali -vs- Rhett Titus & Will Ferrara -vs- TK O'Ryan & Vinny Marseglia -vs- Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin - (Gauntlet Match) [** 1/2]

ROH follows up their anniversary show with a TV-taping the next day in the same arena. Some good matches, nice to see Stardom girls get some room to perform outside of Japan. But overall a fairly average TV-taping.

WRESTLE PRO - March 10, 2018, Brooklyn, New Rork, USA - (1/4 hrs)
March 10, 2018, Brooklyn, New Rork, USA - St. Patrick's Gym
1. KM -vs- Fallah Bahh [* 1/2]

Just a random match that aired on Impact's TV show, where they keep trying to pushing Fallah Bahh as someone they can potentially make something out of.

wXw - "AMBITION 9" - March 10, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - (2 1/4 hrs)
March 10, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - Turbinenhalle (450 Fans)
1. Timothy Thatcher -vs- Alexander James - (AMBITION 9 - Round 1) [**]
2. Bobby Gunns -vs- Marius Al-Ani - (AMBITION 9 - Round 1) [* 1/2]
3. Mike Bailey -vs- Jonah Rock - (AMBITION 9 - Round 1) [* 3/4]
4. David Starr -vs- Laurance Roman - (AMBITION 9 - Round 1) [**]
5. Matt Riddle -vs- WALTER [** 1/4]
6. Timothy Thatcher -vs- Bobby Gunns - (AMBITION 9 - Semi-Final) [** 1/2]
7. Mike Bailey -vs- David Starr - (AMBITION 9 - Semi-Final) [**]
8. Timothy Thatcher -vs- Mike Bailey - (AMBITION 9 - Final) [** 1/4]

In the middle of the 16 Carat Gold 2018 tour, wXw puts on a shoot-style/strong-style tournament! Short to-the-point matches which managed to create a good setting for Timothy Thatcher who fought real old school during this!

wXw - "16 Carat Gold 2018 - Day 2" - March 10, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 10, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - Turbinenhalle (1,050 Fans)
Shotgun #448
1. Martina -vs- Veda Scott [1/2*]
16 Carat Gold 2018 - Day 2
2. Da Mack & Ivan Kiev -vs- Francis Kaspin & Jay Skillet -vs- Mark Haskins & Matt Sydal -vs- Avalanche & Julian Nero - (4-Way) [**]
3. Keith Lee -vs- Chris Brookes - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Quarterfinal) [** 1/4]
4. Timothy Thatcher -vs- Lucky Kid - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Quarterfinal) [***]
5. David Starr -vs- Travis Banks - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Quarterfinal) [** 1/2]
6. Absolute Andy -vs- Matt Riddle - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Quarterfinal) [*** 1/4]
7. Alexander James -vs- Jonah Rock [**]
8. Bobby Gunns (c) -vs- Mike Bailey - (wXw Shotgun Title) [*** 1/2]
9. Toni Storm (c) -vs- Melanie Gray - (wXw Women's Title) [** 1/4]
10. John Klinger (c) -vs- WALTER -vs- Ilja Dragunov - (wXw Unified Title; 3-Way) [*** 3/4]

Show of the week!!! The 2nd day of the 16 Carat Gold 2018 with strong tournament matches and even stronger title matches. The main event had a surprise return of Ilja Dragunov, which turned out to quite a exciting booking for the wXw Title! Best match of the week as well!

MARCH 11, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 3" - March 11, 2018, Amagasaki, Japan - (3 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Amagasaki, Japan - Baycom Gymnasium (Amagasaki Memorial Park Gymnasium) (4,311 Fans)
1. Yuji Nagata & Tomoyuki Oka -vs- Tetsuhiro Yagi & Ren Narita [* 1/4]
2. El Desperado -vs- Shota Umino [* 3/4]
3. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi & Tanga Loa & Chase Owens -vs- Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson & David Finlay & Toa Henare [**]
4. Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano -vs- Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Yoshinobu Kanemaru [* 3/4]
5. Takashi Iizuka & Taichi -vs- Hiroshi Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi [* 1/2]
6. Kazuchika Okada & Chuckie T -vs- SANADA & BUSHI [* 1/2]
7. Kota Ibushi -vs- YOSHI-HASHI - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [** 3/4]
8. Zack Sabre Jr. -vs- Tetsuya Naito - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [***]

Lackluster undercard, but the two tournament matches saved the day for what was clearly a B-show in their mind. Sabre's push was nicely done! I'm loving that his stock keeps going up in the company. Ibushi should have gotten a stronger opponent. He did all the crazy Ibushi stuff, but YOSHI-HASHI couldn't generate much flow to capitalize on it.

NOAH - "GREAT VOYAGE 2018 IN YOKOHAMA" - March 11, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - (4 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - Yokohama Bunka Gym (2,412 Fans)
1. LEONA -vs- Junta Miyawaki [*]
2. Tadasuke & YO-HEY -vs- Hajime Ohara & Hitoshi Kumano [* 1/2]
3. Cody Hall & KAZMA SAKAMOTO -vs- Masao Inoue & Seiya Morohashi [3/4*]
4. Maybach Taniguchi & Mitsuya Nagai -vs- KENSO & Jay Bradley [* 1/2]
5. Naomichi Marufuji & Atsushi Kotoge -vs- Shiro Koshinaka & Akitoshi Saito [* 3/4]
6. Go Shiozaki -vs- Kaito Kiyomiya [** 1/2]
7. Taiji Ishimori & Hi69 (c) -vs- Yoshinari Ogawa & Minoru Tanaka - (GHC Junior Tag Title) [** 1/2]
8. Daisuke Harada (c) -vs- HAYATA - (GHC Junior Title) [** 3/4]
9. Mohammed Yone & Quiet Storm (c) -vs- Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya - (GHC Tag Title) [** 1/4]
10. Kenou (c) -vs- Takashi Sugiura - (GHC Title) [** 3/4]

A big show from NOAH. Unfortunately they fall back into old sins for a tame show of long matches for the sake of being long and not anything epic included. Solid, of course, but the effort was letdown.

BJW - "BIG JAPAN FULL METAL - IKKITOUSEN ~ STRONG CLIMB - DAY 2" - March 11, 2018, Fukuoka, Japan - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Fukuoka, Japan - Hakata Star Lane (568 Fans)
1. Takuho Kato -vs- Yuki Ishikawa - (Exhibition) [1/4*]
2. Kazuki Hashimoto & Yuya Aoki -vs- Tatsuhiko Yoshino & Kota Sekifuda [* 1/2]
3. Ryota Hama & Takuya Nomura -vs- Daichi Hashimoto & Yoshihisa Uto [*]
4. Yuko Miyamoto & Minoru Fujita -vs- Ryuji Ito & Jaki Numazawa - (Barbed Wire Boad Death Match) [*]
5. Isami Kodaka & Takumi Tsukamoto & Ryuichi Sekine -vs- Masaya Takahashi & Takayuki Ueki & Toshiyuki Sakuda - (Fluorescent Lighttubes Death Match) [* 1/2]
6. Ryuichi Kawakami -vs- Kazumi Kikuta - (Ikkitousen ~ Strong Climb - Block B) [* 1/2]
7. Hideyoshi Kamitani -vs- Yasufumi Nakanoue - (Ikkitousen ~ Strong Climb - Block A) [* 3/4]
8. Daisuke Sekimoto -vs- Hideki Suzuki - (Ikkitousen ~ Strong Climb - Block B) [**]

This was more standard for Big Japan house shows. Tame. Which is a shame when you look at the potential of that main event!

DDT - “TAISHO DRAMATIC ROMANTIC 2018” - March 11, 2018, Osaka, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Osaka, Japan - Osaka Azalea Taisho Hall (330 Fans)
1. Keisuke Ishii -vs- Kouki Iwasaki [*]
2. Naomi Yoshimura -vs- Kazuki Hirata -vs- Ethan Page -vs- Mad Paulie - (4-Way) [1/2*]
3. Sanshiro Takagi & Toru Owashi & Antonio Honda & Yuni -vs- Soma Takao & MAO & Nobuhiro Shimatani & Chinsuke Nakamura - (Falls Count Anywhere; No Touch Rule) [3/4*]
4. KUDO & Yukio Sakaguchi -vs- Kota Umeda & Yuki Ueno [* 1/2]
5. Danshoku Dino & Makoto Oishi -vs- Masahiro Takanashi & Mizuki Watase - (Give Up Only Match) [1/2*]
6. HARASHIMA -vs- Kazusada Higuchi [* 3/4]
7. Daisuke Sasaki & Shuji Ishikawa & Tetsuya Endo -vs- Konosuke Takeshita & Akito & Shunma Katsumata [**]

More of the generic indy house show wrestling from the DDT crowd. The main event got decent, but nothing which really stood out.

GANBARE☆WRESTLING - “YOU’RE MY SUNSHINE 2018” - March 11, 2018, Osaka, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Osaka, Japan - Osaka Azalea Taisho Hall (101 Fans)
1. Takaku Fuke -vs- Gota Ihashi [3/4*]
2. Shuichiro Katsumura & Takeshi Okada -vs- Yumehito Imanari & Shuhei Washida [* 1/2]
3. HARUKAZE -vs- Miyako Matsumoto [1/2*]
4. Shota & Shinichiro Tominaga -vs- TORU & Katsumi Oribe [*]
5. Magnitude Kishiwada -vs- Ken Ohka [**]

....same with this show on DDT Universe. Special main event with Ohka facing a once-great, now-aging masked man Magnitude Kishiwada. Didn't flare-up, but it was nice to see the former Dragon Gate man in action again.

SENDAI GIRLS - March 11, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Shinjuku FACE (438 Fans)
1. Eiger -vs- Sakura Hirota [1/4*]
2. Aja Kong & Hikaru Shida & Mio Momono -vs- Meiko Satomura & Ami Sato & Manami [*]
3. Mika Iwata -vs- Hana Kimura [* 1/2]
4. Chihiro Hashimoto & Hiroyo Matsumoto -vs- Ayako Hamada & Alex Lee [* 3/4]
5. KAORU & DASH Chisako (c) -vs- Cassandra Miyagi & Heidi Katrina - (SENDAI GIRLS Tag Title) [* 1/4]

Poor Sendai show. Lazy veterans and sloppy main event. Only thing that kept my interest somewhat was Kimura's draw with Iwata, but even that was very basic.

CMLL PLEU SPORTS - "Tormenta en el Ring" - March 11, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de México, Mexico - (1 3/4 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de México, Mexico - Arena Azteca Budokan
1. Íkaro -vs- Eckus [** 1/4]
2. Mantra -vs- Crisis -vs- Tackle - (3-Way) [* 3/4]
3. Dalys & Ludark Shaitan & Zeuxis -vs- Lady Maravilla & Maligna & Sanely [* 1/2]
4. Sagrado & Fresero Jr. -vs- Fuego & Robin [* 3/4]
5. Blue Panther Jr. & The Panther -vs- Puma & Tiger [**]
6. Hechicero -vs- Diamante Azul [** 1/2]

One of those special sponsored house shows CMLL does from time-to-time. Fairly good, with Hechicero saving the day as usual!

IWRG - March 11, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1 1/2 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - Arena Naucalpan
1. Chico Che & Hijo del Alebrije & Veneno -vs- El Hijo del Medico Asesino & Eterno & Ovett [** 1/4]
2. Ricky Marvin -vs- Dr. Cerebro [** 1/2]
3. Liderk & Spartan & Spector -vs- Aramis & Hijo del Pantera & Internacional Pantera -vs- Capo del Norte & Capo del Sur & Máscara Año 2000 Jr. -vs- Black Dragón & Dinamic Black & Dragón Fly - (4-Way) [**]
4. Black Warrior & Black Warrior Jr. (c) -vs- Rokambole Jr. & Villano V Jr. - (IWRG Intercontinental Tag Title) [** 3/4]

The best IWRG show I've seen so far! The second of 4 matches between Marvin and Cerebro with heat building up. Chico Che landed some smile-extracting heavy moves and a main event which got exciting! Not sure how closely I'll be following IWRG, but they do shine sometimes in their limited ways.

Lucha Memes - March 11, 2018, Coacalco, Estado de México, Mexico - (1/2 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Coacalco, Estado de México, Mexico - Coliseo Coacalco
1. Ricky Marvin -vs- Kawato [***]
2. Negro Casas -vs- Aramis [** 3/4]

Lucha Memes is a curious indy which does bring interesting match-ups. Here longtime NOAH guy shows his Japanese experience against NJPW Young Lion Kawate for a fast paced battle on a semi-outdoor show in the gravel. Super veteran Negro Casas gets to give some rub to one of the rising indy stars in Aramis as well.

MDA - March 11, 2018, Monterrey, Mexico - (1 1/4 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Monterrey, Mexico - Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1. Octagoncito -vs- Mini Hator [** 1/2]
2. Chik Tormenta -vs- Mystique Chik [1/2*]
3. The Tiger -vs- Emperador Azteca [*** 1/4]
4. Trauma I & Trauma II -vs- Caifan II & El Divo Resumen [** 3/4]
5. Hijo de LA Park -vs- Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. [*** 1/2]
6. Sharly Rockstar -vs- Juventud Guerrera [** 3/4]
7. LA Park -vs- Rey Wagner -vs- Zorro [*** 1/4]

This show was great! Probable went under the radar for most as it wasn't broadcast. Instead it's available in hand-held form on Youtube channels, so there is no production values to speak of. Instead you get close to the action for a show where they busted their ass off and delivered a spectacular event! Had it been a TV it might even have been show of the week, but even without the glitter of a TV production, this ruled big time! Something special for lucha fans!

WWE - "Fastlane 2018" - March 11, 2018, Columbus, Ohio, USA - (3 1/2 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Columbus, Ohio, USA - Nationwide Arena
1. Fandango & Tyler Breeze & Tye Dillinger -vs- Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin & Mojo Rawley [* 1/2]
2. Shinsuke Nakamura -vs- Rusev [** 3/4]
3. Bobby Roode (c) -vs- Randy Orton - (WWE United States Title) [**]
4. Carmella & Natalya -vs- Becky Lynch & Naomi [*]
5. Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso (c) -vs- Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods - (WWE SmackDown Tag Title) [* 1/2]
6. Charlotte Flair (c) -vs- Ruby Riott - (WWE SmackDown Women's Title) [** 1/4]
7. AJ Styles (c) -vs- Baron Corbin -vs- Dolph Ziggler -vs- John Cena -vs- Kevin Owens -vs- Sami Zayn - (WWE Title; Six Pack Challenge) [** 1/2]

This was a disappointing PPV, wasn't it. Not even the main event did much for me. Playful booking, but absolutely standard in the ring. Flair worked hard in the semis, but overall a bit clumsy to really set root. Nakamura/Rusev was good, but I'm not sure why I should have cared for that one. WrestleMania next the next big stop for them. Should I be excited?

wXw - "16 Carat Gold 2018 - Day 3" - March 11, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Oberhausen, Germany - Turbinenhalle (1,050 Fans)
1. David Starr -vs- Keith Lee - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Semi-Final) [** 3/4]
2. Absolute Andy -vs- Timothy Thatcher - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Semi-Final) [***]
3. Emil Sitoci -vs- Alexander James -vs- Lucky Kid -vs- Mark Haskins - (4-Way) [**]
4. Toni Storm (c) -vs- Killer Kelly -vs- Martina -vs- Wesna - (wXw Women's Title) [* 3/4]
5. Ilja Dragunov (c) -vs- Matt Riddle - (wXw Unified Title) [** 3/4]
6. Travis Banks & Chris Brookes & Jonah Rock -vs- Marius Al-Ani & Matt Sydal & Mike Bailey [** 1/4]
7. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher (c) -vs- John Klinger & Da Mack - (wXw Tag Title) [**]
8. Absolute Andy -vs- David Starr - (16 Carat Gold Tournament 2018 - Final) [***]

The final night of 16 Carat Gold 2018, and it's a slight let-down compared to the other shows on the tour. Still a good one as they push one of their own. Dragonov/Riddle was full of energy, and each of the matches had some soul to make them fun.

wXw - "Shotgun #447-449" - March 11, 2018, Essen, Germany - (2 1/4 hrs)
March 11, 2018, Essen, Germany - Turbinenhalle 2 (390 Fans)
Shotgun #447
1. Bobby Gunns (c) -vs- Julian Pace - (wXw Shotgun Title) [* 3/4]
2. Marius Al-Ani -vs- Jonah Rock [* 1/2]
Shotgun #448
3. Avalanche & Julian Nero -vs- Dirty Dragan & Emil Sitoci [* 1/4]
Shotgun #449
4. Francis Kaspin & Jay Skillet -vs- Maggot & Prince Ahura [* 1/2]
5. Ivan Kiev -vs- Icarus [*]

And to end the long weekend, they have a little Shotgun-taping, which only really filled out some ring-time without doing much.

--PUNQ--

• 2 weeks later...

A low impact week compared to the previous one, but with a handful great matches making it sweet anyhow. Mainly New Japan with their NJ Cup and CMLL doing something big bringing the most exciting wrestling, with a few surprises like Soya vs Ashino in W-1 and the Marvin vs Cerebro feud continuing to grow helping the diversity.

Top-20, Week 11, 2018:

1. March 16, 2018 - Hiroshi Tanahashi -vs- Juice Robinson - (New Japan Cup - Semi-Final) [****] (NJPW)
2. March 16, 2018 - Cuatrero -vs- Ángel de Oro - (Mark vs Mask) [*** 3/4] (CMLL)
3. March 15, 2018 - Zack Sabre Jr. -vs- Kota Ibushi - (New Japan Cup - Round 2) [*** 3/4] (NJPW)
4. March 14, 2018 - Shotaro Ashino (c) -vs- Manabu Soya - (WRESTLE-1 Title) [*** 1/2] (WRESTLE-1)
5. March 14, 2018 - Juice Robinson -vs- Michael Elgin - (New Japan Cup - Round 2) [*** 1/4] (NJPW)
6. March 18, 2018 - Dr. Cerebro (c) -vs- Ricky Marvin - (IWRG Intercontinantal Middleweight Title) [***] (IWRG)
7. March 16, 2018 - Volador Jr. & Valiente -vs- Terrible & Rey Bucanero - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Final) [** 3/4] (CMLL)
8. March 18, 2018 - Zack Sabre Jr. -vs- SANADA - (New Japan Cup - Semi-Final) [** 3/4] (NJPW)
9. March 17, 2018 - Psycho Clown & Máximo & La Máscara -vs- Averno & Chessman & Súper Fly -vs- Carta Brava Jr. & Mocho Cota Jr. & Tito Santana - (3-Way) [** 3/4] (AAA)
10. March 16, 2018 - Keith Lee -vs- Moose [** 3/4] (AAW)
11. March 12, 2018 - Volador Jr. (c) -vs- Cavernario - (NWA Historic Welterweight Title) [** 1/2] (CMLL)
12. March 13, 2018 - Cedric Alexander -vs- Roderick Strong - (WWE Cruiserweight Title Tournament - Semi-Final) [** 1/2] (WWE)
13. March 12, 2018 - SANADA -vs- Chuckie T - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [** 1/2] (NJPW)
14. March 18, 2018 - Rey Wagner -vs- Rey Escorpión -vs- Hijo De Wagner - (3-Way) [** 1/2] (DINASTIA MORENO)
15. March 14, 2018 - Keiji Muto & Ryota Hama & SUSHI & Kazushi Miyamoto -vs- Masayuki Kono & Hiroshi Yamato & Yasufumi Nakanoue & KAI [** 1/2] (WRESTLE-1)
16. March 16, 2018 - Atlantis & Matt Taven & Niebla Roja -vs- Último Guerrero & Gran Guerrero & Euforia [** 1/2] (CMLL)
17. March 16, 2018 - Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa & Atsushi Aoki -vs- Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu & Naoya Nomura [** 1/2] (AJPW)
18. March 17, 2018 - Tritón -vs- Titán -vs- Laredo Kid -vs- Dragón Lee - (4-Way) [** 1/2] (CMLL)
19. March 15, 2018 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson -vs- Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii & Chuckie T [** 1/2] (NJPW)
20. March 17, 2018 - Dinastía & Dragón Solar & Pardux -vs- Bronco González Jr. & Fetiche & Mini Histeria [** 1/2] (AAA)

MARCH 12, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 4" - March 12, 2018, Takamatsu, Japan - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 12, 2018, Takamatsu, Japan - Takamatsu City Gym (1,365 Fans)
1. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado -vs- Ryusuke Taguchi & Ren Narita [* 1/2]
2. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi & Tanga Loa -vs- Yuji Nagata & Shota Umino & Tetsuhiro Yagi [* 1/2]
3. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI -vs- Michael Elgin & Tomoyuki Oka [* 3/4]
4. Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI -vs- Zack Sabre Jr. & Taka Michinoku [* 1/2]
5. Minoru Suzuki & Lance Archer & Takashi Iizuka & Taichi -vs- Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe & Juice Robinson & Toa Henare [**]
6. Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii -vs- Kota Ibushi & Chase Owens [* 3/4]
7. Toru Yano -vs- Davey Boy Smith Jr. - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [* 1/2]
8. SANADA -vs- Chuckie T - (New Japan Cup - Round 1) [** 1/2]

Probable the worst day of the New Japan Cup tour. It still had a nice SANADA vs Chuckie T match. A semi-effort, though not exactly main event material as far as New Japan goes.

BJW - "HIROSHIMA "FRENZY" PRO-WRESTLING ~ STRONG CLIMB - DAY 3" - March 12, 2018, Hiroshima, Japan - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 12, 2018, Hiroshima, Japan - Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Hall (310 Fans)
1. Masaki Morihiro -vs- Takuho Kato - (Exhibition) [1/4*]
2. Kazuki Hashimoto & Kankuro Hoshino -vs- Tatsuhiko Yoshino & Kota Sekifuda [* 1/4]
3. Ryuji Ito & Takumi Tsukamoto -vs- Minoru Fujita & Toshiyuki Sakuta - (Barbed Wire Board Death Match) [3/4*]
4. Yasufumi Nakanoue & Ryuichi Kawakami & Yoshihisa Uto -vs- Daisuke Sekimoto & Hideyoshi Kamitani & Kazumi Kikuta [*]
5. Yuko Miyamoto & Isami Kodaka -vs- Masaya Takahashi & Takayuki Ueki - (Fluorescent Lighttubes Death Match) [* 1/2]
6. Ryota Hama -vs- Takuya Nomura - (Ikkitousen ~ Strong Climb - Block A) [* 1/4]
7. Daichi Hashimoto -vs- Yuya Aoki - (Ikkitousen ~ Strong Climb - Block A) [* 3/4]
8. Masashi Takeda (c) -vs- Ryuichi Sekine - (BJW Death Match Title; Fluorescent Lighttubes + Setouchi Lemon Blood Hell Death Match) [** 1/2]

Big Japan continues to stumble along. The Strong Climb tournament hasn't exactly made the most of the Strong division 3 shows in. Thankfully the hardcore division with Masashi Takeda continues to deliver good title matches, which is the main reason to follow this promotion in 2018.

CMLL - "Lunes Arena Puebla" - March 12, 2018, Heroica Puebla de Zaragoza, Puebla, Mexico - (2 1/4 hrs)
March 12, 2018, Heroica Puebla de Zaragoza, Puebla, Mexico - Arena Puebla
1. Ares & El Perverso -vs- Black Tiger & El Asturiano [* 1/2]
2. Amapola & La Comandante -vs- Princesa Sugehit & Kaho Kobayashi [* 3/4]
3. Virus & King Jaguar & Templario -vs- Audaz & Lestat & Pegasso [**]
4. Pólvora & Cuatrero & Sansón -vs- Valiente & Stuka Jr. & Titán [**]
5. Rush & La Bestia Del Ring & Sam Adonis -vs- Mr. Niebla & Euforia & Kráneo [* 3/4]
6. Volador Jr. (c) -vs- Cavernario - (NWA Historic Welterweight Title) [** 1/2]

Monday night vibes in Puebla. Not the most exciting CMLL shows, but the main event had at least some aura even if the formula was a bit standard. 

WWE - "Monday Night RAW/Main Event" - March 12, 2018, Detroit, Michigan, USA - (3 hrs)
March 12, 2018, Detroit, Michigan, USA - Little Caesar’s Arena (13,500 Fans)
Main Event #284
1. Goldust -vs- Curt Hawkins [*]
2. Akira Tozawa & Hideo Itami -vs- Gentleman Jack Gallagher & TJP [*]
Monday Night RAW #1294
3. Sasha Banks -vs- Sonya Deville [3/4*]
4. Finn Balor -vs- Seth Rollins [** 1/4]
5. Asuka -vs- Mickie James [**]
6. Nia Jax -vs- Joan King [1/4*]
7. Braun Strowman -vs- Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows -vs- Heath Slater & Rhyno -vs- Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel -vs- Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson -vs- Apollo & Titus O'Neil - (WWE RAW Tag Title #1 Contendership Battle Royal) [* 1/2]

This Raw was good at times, but almost all the angles going on to the big PPV was like "Hey, do you have anything for me at WrestleMania?". Feels like they're almost clueless as to what to deliver for a show they've had a year to plan. 

MARCH 13, 2018

CMLL - "Martes Arena Mexico" - March 13, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - (2 hrs)
March 13, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - Arena Mexico
1. Mercurio & Pequeño Violencia -vs- Angelito & Fantasy [* 1/2]
2. Nitro & Cancerbero & Raziel -vs- Robin & Eléctrico & Sensei [**]
3. Fuego & Blue Panther Jr. & The Panther -vs- Puma & Tiger & Kawato San [**]
4. Mephisto & Ephesto & Luciferno -vs- Titán & Stuka Jr. & Tritón [* 3/4]
5. Máscara Año 2000 -vs- La Bestia Del Ring [*]
6. Marco Corleone & Soberano Jr. & Valiente -vs- Mr. Niebla & Cavernario & Negro Casas [** 1/4]

Routine Tuesday show at Arena Mexico. Didn't help that the sole singles match they brought was 60 year old Mascara Ano 2000 against Rush's old dad Pierroth.

WWE - "SmackDown Live/205 Live" - March 13, 2018, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 13, 2018, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - Bankers Life Fieldhouse (7,00 Fans)
SmackDown Live #969
1. AJ Styles -vs- Rusev [* 1/2]
2. Harper & Rowan -vs- Big E & Jimmy Uso [*]
3. Jinder Mahal -vs- Bobby Roode [* 1/4]
4. Carmella -vs- Naomi [*]
Mixed Match Challenge #9
5. Bobby Roode & Charlotte Flair -vs- Rusev & Lana - (WWE Mixed Match Challenge - Quarterfinal) [* 1/2]
205 Live #68
6. Akira Tozawa & Hideo Itami -vs- Gran Metalik & Lince Dorado [* 3/4]
7. Gentleman Jack Gallagher -vs- Murphy Myers [3/4*]
8. Cedric Alexander -vs- Roderick Strong - (WWE Cruiserweight Title Tournament - Semi-Final) [** 1/2]

Smackdown seemed to feel less important as the show went on. Rusev & Lana is out. Thankfully Alexander and Strong delivered the best WWE had to offer this week, to end the day on a positive.

MARCH 14, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 5" - March 14, 2018, Fuji, Japan - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 14, 2018, Fuji, Japan - Fujisan Messe (1,290 Fans)
1. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado -vs- Ryusuke Taguchi & Tetsuhiro Yagi [* 3/4]
2. David Finlay & Toa Henare & Ren Narita -vs- Yuji Nagata & Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino [* 1/4]
3. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. -vs- Yujiro Takahashi & Tanga Loa [* 1/2]
4. Kota Ibushi & Chase Owens -vs- Zack Zabre Jr. & Taka Michinoku [** 1/4]
5. Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Chuckie T -vs- Tetsuya Naito & SANADA & BUSHI [* 1/2]
6. Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI -vs- Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka & Taichi [**]
7. Juice Robinson -vs- Michael Elgin - (New Japan Cup - Round 2) [*** 1/4]
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi -vs- Bad Luck Fale - (New Japan Cup - Round 2) [**]

I know they have all faith in Tanahashi, but letting him drag a main event caliber match out of Fale was asking too much. Juice and Elgin should have closed the show, a great match!

WRESTLE-1 - "WRESTLE-1 TOUR 2018 TRANS MAGIC - DAY 5" - March 14, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 14, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,521 Fans)
1. Seigo Tachibana -vs- Masayuki Mitomi [* 1/4]
2. Yusuke Kodama & Drunk Andy -vs- Tsugutaka Sato & Kenshin Chikano [*]
3. Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo & Ryuji Hijikata -vs- Daiki Inaba & Seiki Yoshioka & Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio [**]
4. Hana Kimura & Saori Anou -vs- Natsumi Maki & Sho Sekiguchi [* 1/2]
5. Koji Doi & Kumagoro & Takanori Ito (c) -vs- NOSAWA Rongai & MAZADA & FUJITA - (UWA Trios Title) [**]
6. Alejandro -vs- Andy Wu - (WRESTLE-1 Cruiser Fes - Final) [** 1/4]
7. Keiji Muto & Ryota Hama & SUSHI & Kazushi Miyamoto -vs- Masayuki Kono & Hiroshi Yamato & Yasufumi Nakanoue & KAI [** 1/2]
8. Shotaro Ashino (c) -vs- Manabu Soya - (WRESTLE-1 Title) [*** 1/2]

Average undercard with Muto's "final moonsault" being a uplifting highlight. The main event was a major surprise! Manabu Soya, coming off a goofy loosing streak gimmick has shaved his hair for a new beginning and pulls off a superb main event with champions Ashino! There was something very old school about the whole thing and it worked for that moment to surprising heights.

DDT - “SAKI AKAI PRODUCE ~ DDT COLLECTION” - March 14, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 14, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Shinjuku FACE (352 Fans)
1. Mizuki Watase -vs- Daiki Shimomura [*]
2. Yoshiko -vs- Yuko Miyamoto -vs- Ryota Nakatsu -vs- Naomi Yoshimura -vs- Yukio Sakaguchi -vs- Nobuhiro Shimatani - (Outrage 6-Way) [1/2*]
3. 9-Person Iron Man Heavymetalweight Title – Doki ❤ Aja Full Paint Rumble [* 1/2]
4. Daisuke Sasaki & Tetsuya Endo -vs- Jun Kasai & DJ Nira [*]
5. Sakisama & Azusa Christie & Martha -vs- Margaret★Owashi & Kazuko Hirata & Kazuko Higuchi [3/4*]
6. KUDO & Akito & MAO -vs- Konosuke Takeshita & Soma Takao & Shunma Katsumata [* 3/4]
7. 26-Person One Day GM Competition [1/2*]

Saki Akai produces a DDT variety show of sorts. Sometimes entertaining, but also a bit of a lame duck. More for the comedy than the action.

IWRG - March 14, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1 1/2 hrs)
March 14, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - Arena Naucalpan
1. Chef Benito -vs- Power Bull [* 1/2]
2. Ángel Estrella Jr. & Toto -vs- Dark Alfa & Guerrero 2000 [* 3/4]
3. Shadow Boy & Súper Brazo Jr. -vs- Dragón Yuki & Leroy [*]
4. Black Dragón & Dinamic Black & Dragón Fly -vs- Diablo Jr. & Gallo Frances & Lunatic Xtreme [* 1/2]
5. Factor & Spector -vs- Mike & Teelo -vs- Capo del Norte & Máscara Año 2000 Jr. - (3-Way) [*]

Typical poorly attended mid-week IWRG show.

MARCH 15, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 6" - March 15, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 1/2 hrs)
March 15, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,718 Fans)
1. David Finlay & Ren Narita -vs- Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino [*]
2. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI -vs- Togi Makabe & Toa Henare [* 1/2]
3. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Takashi Iizuka & Taichi -vs- Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi & Tanga Loa & Chase Owens [**]
4. Minoru Suzuki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado -vs- Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi [** 1/4]
5. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson -vs- Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii & Chuckie T [** 1/2]
6. SANADA -vs- Toru Yano - (New Japan Cup - Round 2) [**]
7. Zack Sabre Jr. -vs- Kota Ibushi - (New Japan Cup - Round 2) [*** 3/4]

Good show at the Hall, with a classic main event where Ibushi and Sabre clashed unique styles to everybody's pleasure! Crazy chemistry at times, and even crazier wrestling!

MARCH 16, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 7" - March 16, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 16, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,716 Fans)
1. Yujiro Takahashi & Tanga Loa -vs- Tomoyuki Oka & Tetsuhiro Yagi [**]
2. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Taichi -vs- Michael Elgin & David Finlay & Shota Umino [**]
3. Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano -vs- Togi Makabe & Toa Henare [* 3/4]
4. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI & Chuckie T -vs- Kota Ibushi & Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens [* 1/2]
5. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka -vs- Kazuchika Okada & Gedo [**]
6. Tetsuya Naito & SANADA & BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi -vs- Zack Sabre Jr. & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taka Michinoku & El Desperado [** 1/4]
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi -vs- Juice Robinson - (New Japan Cup - Semi-Final) [****]

Standard undercard. It's all about the main event on this tour, and this one was special. On one hand, almost over-doing the story part of the match with very animated exchanges trying to tell their tale with a teaspoon. Because of it, the match lacked a little of that energy rush to send the fans into a frenzy. But how often do we get great frenzy matches with limited story compared to story driven matches like these?! That's why Tanahashi vs Robinson stands-out as one of my highlights of the year thus far!

AJPW - "DREAM POWER SERIES 2018 - DAY 1" - March 16, 2018, Choshi, Chiba, Japan - (1 3/4 hrs)
March 16, 2018, Choshi, Chiba, Japan - Choshi City Gym (373 Fans)
1. Yohei Nakajima -vs- Rionne Fujiwara [* 1/2]
2. Hikaru Sato & Yusuke Okada -vs- Kotaro Suzuki & Keiichi Sato [** 1/4]
3. Tajiri -vs- Atsushi Maruyama [1/2*]
4. KAI -vs- Koji Iwamoto [* 1/2]
5. Jun Akiyama & Zeus -vs- Ryouji Sai & Black Tiger VII [**]
6. Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa & Atsushi Aoki -vs- Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu & Naoya Nomura [** 1/2]

Fairly small district show for AJPW, yet the wrestling was for the most part solid enough for a view. The main event especially.

CMLL - "Homenaje a Dos Leyendas 2018 (Lutteroth & Mil Mascaras)" - March 16, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 16, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - Arena Mexico (12,000 Fans)
1. Audaz & Flyer & Star Jr. -vs- Virus & Disturbio & Templario [**]
2. Dalys & La Seductora & Zeuxis -vs- Princesa Sugehit & Marcela & Kaho Kobayashi [**]
3. Rush & Dragón Lee & Mistico -vs- Máscara Año 2000 & Sansón & Forastero [** 1/4]
4. Atlantis & Matt Taven & Niebla Roja -vs- Último Guerrero & Gran Guerrero & Euforia [** 1/2]
5. Volador Jr. & Valiente -vs- Terrible & Rey Bucanero - (CMLL Tag Title Tournament - Final) [** 3/4]
6. Cuatrero -vs- Ángel de Oro - (Mark vs Mask) [*** 3/4]

The best and most important show of the week! CMLL bringing a big show with a big Mask match! Only thing holding it back was not stepping outside the typical CMLL big match formula, but make no mistake about this had amazing execution and emotional to boost between two 2nd generation stars fighting for the family heritage!

AAA - "PerroMania II" - March 16, 2018, Tlalnepantla, Mexico - (1 3/4 hrs)
March 16, 2018, Tlalnepantla, Mexico - Arena Lopez Mateos
1. Cometa & Súper Panda -vs- Chico del Barrio & Magia Negra [1/2*]
2. Fetiche & Villano III Jr. -vs- Concord & Raptor [**]
3. El Sable & La Hiedra & Mini Psycho Clown -vs- Big Mami & Dinastía & Némesis [* 1/4]
4. Averno & Chessman -vs- La Parka & Pagano [* 1/2]
5. Joe Lider & Kahn Del Mal & Mr. Águila -vs- Dave The Clown & Monsther Clown & Murder Clown [*]

AAA house show in hand-held format. Decent at times, and because it's a AAA show, a mess at times too!

AAW - "EPIC 2018: The 14th Anniversary Show" - March 16, 2018, Merrionette Park, Illinois, USA - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 16, 2018, Merrionette Park, Illinois, USA - 115 Bourbon Street
1. Ace Romero -vs- Hakim Zane [**]
2. Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz -vs- Stephen Wolf & Trey Miguel [** 1/2]
3. Myron Reed -vs- DJ Z [**]
4. Connor Braxton & Curt Stallion & Jake Something -vs- Colt Cabana & Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett [* 1/2]
5. Jessicka Havok (c) -vs- Hudson Envy - (AAW Women's Title) [*]
6. Sami Callihan -vs- Eddie Kingston [** 1/4]
7. Maxwell Jacob Friedman -vs- PACO [*]
8. Dave Crist & Jake Crist -vs- Joey Janela & Teddy Hart [** 1/4]
9. Keith Lee -vs- Moose [** 3/4]
10. March 16, 2018 - ACH & Jushin Thunder Liger -vs- David Starr & Trevor Lee [**]

Fun and energetic show, for sure. Lee vs Moose had the most to offer, got the most time a well, on a show where it felt like they were rushing everything.

MARCH 17, 2018

WRESTLE-1 - "WRESTLE-1 TOUR 2018 TRANS MAGIC - DAY 6" - March 17, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 17, 2018, Yokohama, Japan - Yokohama Radiant Hall (192 Fans)
1. Ganseki Tanaka -vs- Masayuki Mitomi [*]
2. Jun Tonsho -vs- Tsugutaka Sato [*]
3. Seigo Tachibana -vs- Kaz Hayashi -vs- Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio - (3-Way) [* 1/4]
4. MAZADA & FUJITA -vs- Yusuke Kodama & Drunk Andy [*]
5. Seiki Yoshioka & Hiroshi Yamato -vs- Andy Wu & Alejandro [* 3/4]
6. Manabu Soya & Masayuki Kono & Shuji Kondo & NOSAWA Rongai -vs- Daiki Inaba & Koji Doi & Kumagoro & Takanori Ito [**]

Small and unimportant Wrestle-1 show. At least it got better toward the end.

OZ Academy - "SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER" - March 17, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (1 3/4 hrs)
March 17, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (760 Fans)
1. Tsubasa Kuragaki & Sakura Hirota & Aoi Kizuki -vs- Misaki Ohata & Mika Iida & Hiroe Nagahama [*]
2. Sonoko Kato -vs- Manami Katsu [**]
3. Aja Kong & Kaori Yoneyama & Hiroyo Matsumoto -vs- Yumi Ohka & Maya Yukihi & Alex Lee [* 3/4]
4. AKINO & Shoko Sekiguchi -vs- Yumiko Hotta & Miyuki Takase [* 1/2]
5. Hikaru Shida -vs- Rina Yamashita [* 3/4]
6. Yoshiko (c) -vs- Mayumi Ozaki - (OZ Academy Openweight Title; Dress Up Wild Fight) [** 1/4]

Oz Academy bringing one of their big Korakuen Hall shows, and continues to be too driven in chaos to make one fully appreciate what they're doing. That's what they've practically been doing for 20 years. Sometimes it works great, most of the time it's just annoying.

CMLL - "Ultimo Desafio" - March 17, 2018, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico - (1/2 hrs)
March 17, 2018, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico - Arena Pavilion del Norte
1. Lince de Oro -vs- Tormento Negro [* 3/4]
2. Espartaco & Nitro & Zorro Plateado Jr. -vs- Potro & Trauma I & Trauma II [*]
3. Negro Casas & Último Guerrero & Valiente -vs- Green Demon & Negro Navarro & Solar I [* 1/2]
4. Tritón -vs- Titán -vs- Laredo Kid -vs- Dragón Lee - (4-Way) [** 1/2]

CMLL guys mixing with the indies, hand-held action. The main event got quite spectacular with four talented fliers going at it!

AAA - March 17, 2018, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico - (2 1/4 hrs)
March 17, 2018, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico - Unidad Deportiva Miraval
1. Dinastía & Dragón Solar & Pardux -vs- Bronco González Jr. & Fetiche & Mini Histeria [** 1/2]
2. Pimpinela Escarlata & Mamba -vs- Estrella Divina & Ashley [**]
3. Psycho Clown & Máximo & La Máscara -vs- Averno & Chessman & Súper Fly -vs- Carta Brava Jr. & Mocho Cota Jr. & Tito Santana - (3-Way) [** 3/4]
4. Histeria & Psicosis -vs- Monsther Clown & Murder Clown [*]
5. Dark Cuervo & Dark Scoria (c) -vs- Joe Lider & Mr. Águila - (AAA Tag Title) [* 1/2]
6. La Parka & Pagano -vs- Dave The Clown & Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. [**]

AAA continues to be this era's version of WCW. Super colorful characters, ridiculous chaotic booking. It's a whole universe on it's own, so just love the madness they bring! Even on lesser TV-tapings like this.

CONTRERAS - March 17, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1 3/4 hrs)
March 17, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - Arena Neza
1. 13-Man Battle Royal [* 1/4]
2. Angel O Demonio & Leon Rojo & Obett -vs- Colombiano & Miserable & Xibalba [3/4*]
3. Mary Apache & Casandra & La Enfermera & Luna Mágica -vs- Diva Virtual & Keyra & La Seductora & Lady Pink [*]
4. Ángel Jr. & Divino & Dollar & Máscara Divina -vs- Gallego & Mohicano I & Monster & Mr. Cóndor [* 1/4]
5. May Flowers & Nigma -vs- Jessy Ventura & Pasion Kristal [* 1/2]
6. Genaro Contreas Jr. & Máscara Sagrada Jr. & Rey Del Espacio Jr. & Tiburón -vs- Black Warrior Jr. & Dr. Karonte Jr. & Fishman Jr. & Pirata Morgan Jr. [* 1/2]
7. Black Warrior & Enfermero Jr. & Okumura & Sangre Chicana -vs- Black Man & Chamaco Valaguez & Dr. Karonte & Mano Negra [* 1/2]
8. Atlantis & Rayo de Jalisco Jr. & Súper Astro -vs- Canek & Jerry Estrada & Pirata Morgan [*]

I just wanted to see the old guys I grew up with. Past their sell-by-date, and rather poorly put together show, even if the crowd was good bringing the happy vibes.

MARCH 18, 2018

NJPW - "NEW JAPAN CUP 2018 - DAY 8" - March 18, 2018, Hamamatsu, Japan - (2 3/4 hrs)
March 18, 2018, Hamamatsu, Japan - Act City Hamamatsu (2,750 Fans)
1. Shota Umino -vs- Ren Narita [* 1/2]
2. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi & Tanga Loa -vs- Togi Makabe & Toa Henare & Tomoyuki Oka [* 3/4]
3. Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano -vs- Takashi Iizuka & Taichi [* 1/4]
4. Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson -vs- Kota Ibushi & Chase Owens [**]
5. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. -vs- Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI [* 3/4]
6. Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi -vs- Minoru Suzuki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado [**]
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi & David Finlay -vs- Kazuchika Okada & Chuckie T [**]
8. Zack Sabre Jr. -vs- SANADA - (New Japan Cup - Semi-Final) [** 3/4]

No fireworks, but solid works. The whole tour have been one-match shows, so it was up to ZBJ and SANADA to blow our minds. Didn't quite do it, but didn't stop them from having a good match. SANADA is a slow starter and Sabre is that kind of a worker who takes advantage of a wrestler's aggression. So in that regard they weren't exactly ideal opponents. But both a technically sound, so we got a lot of that technical cool going on!

NOAH - "GLOBAL TAG LEAGUE 2018 - DAY 1" - March 18, 2018, Fukuoka, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 18, 2018, Fukuoka, Japan - Hakata Star Lane (515 Fans)
1. HAYATA -vs- Junta Miyawaki [*]
2. Jay Bradley -vs- Hitoshi Kumano [*]
3. Daisuke Harada & Tadasuke -vs- Yoshinari Ogawa & Hajime Ohara [**]
4. Hi69 -vs- Minoru Tanaka -vs- YO-HEY - (3-Way) [* 1/2]
5. Cody Hall & KAZMA SAKAMOTO -vs- Maybach Taniguchi & Mitsuya Nagai - (Global Tag League) [* 3/4]
6. Go Shiozaki & Kaito Kiyomiya -vs- Akitoshi Saito & Masao Inoue - (Global Tag League) [**]
7. Mohammed Yone & Quiet Storm -vs- Takashi Sugiura & Kenou - (Global Tag League) [** 1/4]
8. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya -vs- Naomichi Marufuji & Atsushi Kotoge - (Global Tag League) [**]

NOAH get their Global Tag League off to an average start. Not bad, but this show was lacking the magic. Especially with the main event where they started way too slow to get a real boost to what they were doing. On the plus side, the 50 Funky Powers continue to rule!

BASARA - “BASARA 62 ~BATTLE OF OKE OKAMA~” - March 18, 2018, Nagoya, Japan - (1 1/2 hrs)
March 18, 2018, Nagoya, Japan - Aichi Rokujima Sports Center (143 Fans)
1. Yusuke Kubo -vs- Akiyori Takizawa [3/4*]
2. MC.33 -vs- Gouma Ryu -vs- Tomoya Hasegawa - (Reversal Pro Wrestling Trial 3-Way) [1/4*]
3. FUMA -vs- Takato Nakano -vs- Yasu Urano - (3-Way) [* 1/2]
4. Kazuhiro Tamura -vs- Daichi Kazato [* 3/4]
5. Ryuichi Sekine & Ryota Nakatsu -vs- Fuminori Abe & Yusaku Ito [**]
6. Isami Kodaka & Takumi Tsukamoto -vs- SAGAT & Trans-Am ★ Shinya [**]

The DDT off-shot BASARA is probable the best of the DDT Universe sub-promotions as far as in-ring action goes. It's still pretty uninteresting, which is why Tokyo Joshi Pro is more fun to watch even with it's less developed workers. This was a standard house show, but the effort was nice enough. Not that there was anything interesting happening.

DDT - “SUNDAY KASUKABIAN! 2018” - March 18, 2018, Kasukabe, Japan - (2 hrs)
March 18, 2018, Kasukabe, Japan - Saitama Kasukabe Hall (260 Fans)
1. Makoto Oishi & Antonio Honda & Saki Akai -vs- Sanshiro Takagi & Toru Owashi & Kazuki Hirata [1/2*]
2. KUDO & Masahiro Takanashi -vs- MAO & Yuki Ueno [* 1/2]
3. Naomi Yoshimura -vs- Ethan Page [* 1/4]
4. Yukio Sakaguchi -vs- Kota Umeda [* 1/2]
5. Daisuke Sasaki & Nobuhiro Shimatani -vs- Danshoku Dino & Keisuke Ishii [3/4*]
6. HARASHIMA & Soma Takao -vs- Kazusada Higuchi & Kouki Iwasaki [* 1/2]
7. Konosuke Takeshita & Akito & Shunma Katsumata -vs- Shuji Ishikawa & Tetsuya Endo & Mad Paulie [**]

The goofiness was kept down, but the wrestling was still a bit too generic for my liking. Something is needed to bring their personality stronger into their work. 

CMLL/ERLL - March 18, 2018, Monterrey, Mexico - (1/4 hrs)
March 18, 2018, Monterrey, Mexico - Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1. Dragón Lee -vs- Titán -vs- El Divo -vs- Laredo Kid - (4-Way) [**]

Had similarities to the 4-way these guys had the day before, but substituting Tritón with El Divo made for a less satisfying difference.

IWRG - March 18, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1 3/4 hrs)
March 18, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - Arena Naucalpan
1. Lilith Dark & Star Fire -vs- Dulce Luna & Lady Cat [* 1/4]
2. Liderk & Spartan & Spector -vs- Leo & Mike & Teelo [* 3/4]
3. Emperador Azteca & Internacional Pantera & Veneno -vs- Black Warrior & Máscara Año 2000 Jr. & X-Fly [**]
4. Dr. Cerebro (c) -vs- Ricky Marvin - (IWRG Intercontinantal Middleweight Title) [***]
5. Hijo del Alebrije -vs- El Hijo del Medico Asesino -vs- Hijo de Pirata Morgan -vs- Capo del Norte -vs- Diablo Jr. -vs- Dr. Karonte -vs- Lunatic Xtreme -vs- Apolo Estrada Jr. -vs- Hijo del Pantera -vs- Máscara Mágica Jr. -vs- Hip Hop Man - (Rebelion de los Juniors) [** 1/4]

The 3rd of four quality matches Ricky Marvin would have with Cerebro in March, the best one yet. Marvin might be passed it, but he still can bring something extra when he wants. The rest of the show was okay too, without being to remarkable.

Dinastia Moreno - March 18, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de México, Mexico - (1 1/2 hrs)
March 18, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de México, Mexico - Arena Azteca Budokan
1. Mini Cibernetico (c) -vs- Mini Parkita - (Arena Azteca Budokan Minis Title) [**]
2. La Cacheta & Lokillius & Yoruba -vs- Diva Salvaje & Fulgor II & Máscara De Ángel [* 1/2]
3. Cinthia Moreno & Rossy Moreno & Yoruba -vs- Diosa Quetzal & Diva Virtual & Princesa [* 3/4]
4. El Bandido & Emperador Azteca & Metaleón -vs- Diamante & Imposible & Syrus [** 1/4]
5. Rey Wagner -vs- Rey Escorpión -vs- Hijo De Wagner - (3-Way) [** 1/2]

The Moreno family promoting a special show, getting the biggest current stars of the family in for a big main event, throwing Rey Escorpion in there to keep it from exploding. The Wagners kept it interesting, but could have been so much more without the extra guy there. Fun show overall.

--PUNQ--

Watched the Table For 3 with Angle, Flair and Sting the other night which inspired me to watch Sting vs Triple H from Wrestlemania 31. I've not watched it since I first saw it live and I remember enjoying it for the smoke and mirrors spectacle it was. It doesn't half plod to begin with but the second half, with all the run-ins, Nash, Hall and Hogan all taking bumps is great fun, even though the wrong man went over.

What really winds me up though is the commentary. I remember in the build up Sting saying he wasn't there to defend WCW but that's all they made the angle about. Bradshaw is either really heeling up or just being his usual wankery self but he buries Sting and WCW so much, he really does make him come across like a bit of a mug at times. King flits between face and heel and Cole sort of does nothing. If it'd have been Monsoon or JR with JBL they'd have at least jumped to Sting's defence and rattled off some facts about his career and really built him up. Cole just sort of goes "meh" and when he does speak he's really quiet at times. Stinks of Vince screaming down the headset to not put Sting over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The first In Your House PPV. I think this was only the second time I've seen this show. It was a really easy watch. 1 hour and 40 minutes, half of a current episode of Raw. It has a really good Bret/Hakushi match on there, as well as Bret Vs Lawler. You have Yokozuna and Owen defending the tag belts against Billy and Bart, Jarrett and the Roadie have a fun handicap match against Razor Ramon with a debut at the end of the match. Mabel has a quick match in which he doesn't kill anyone. Then Sid and Diesel have a main event that's better than many give it credit for. A breeze of a show to watch to put in an afternoon. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Jarrett and the Roadie have a fun handicap match against Razor Ramon with a debut at the end of the match.

I implore everyone to go watch In Your House to reveal the identity of this mysterious debut. You won't be disappointed.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I implore everyone to go watch In Your House to reveal the identity of this mysterious debut. You won't be disappointed.

He was a Caribbean Superstar I'll have you know! Hey, at least it wasn't Kwang. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

For me it made up for Shawn Michaels not being on the show.

Subtle, like it.

8 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

He was a Caribbean Superstar I'll have you know! Hey, at least it wasn't Kwang. 

Oh for f....

Fuckers ruined it for me.

Watching Holywood Blonds v Arn and Roma from Beach Blast 93, a top match. Im a big Roma fan, but he is like a rabbit caught in the headlights on his entrance and through a lot of the match. This is the Zenith of the Blonds. Was it Dusty who split them up not long after? Unbelievable. Jesse is great on commentary as well praising the Blonds. WCW was really fucked up to split these two up. The rednecks in the crowd were after the Blonds!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm genuinely not surprised that the buyrate for WM13 was so terrible. Looking back at some old stuff from that year, in February/March 1997 they managed to hand over pretty much an entire show to ECW to promote their first PPV, filmed an episode of Raw in a terribly lit Skydome that was meant to be a house show and a throwaway episode in Berlin, Germany that heavily featured Bulldog and Owen who ended up only had a minor match at Wrestlemania.

I still love 97 but fuck me the year picked up a lot after a pretty sluggish few weeks.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I'm genuinely not surprised that the buyrate for WM13 was so terrible. Looking back at some old stuff from that year, in February/March 1997 they managed to hand over pretty much an entire show to ECW to promote their first PPV, filmed an episode of Raw in a terribly lit Skydome that was meant to be a house show and a throwaway episode in Berlin, Germany that heavily featured Bulldog and Owen who ended up only had a minor match at Wrestlemania.

I still love 97 but fuck me the year picked up a lot after a pretty sluggish few weeks.

It is a perculiar year because there was a lot of dross on the undercards, similar to 1998, but the main event angles were SO good and there was so much focus on them that they overshadowed everything else in a really good way. Plus, wrestling was still so great to me that I'd think nothing of sitting through DOA vs. NOD to get to Austin, Bret and Shawn. These days, I'd FF it.

• Paid Members

Watched this for the first time in ages. I'd completely forgotten how Garcia completely fucks up the announcement of the WCW team "Chris Kanyon, Chuck O'Hara............." Jim Ross steps in and saves it. Speaking of Ross, he's working overtime here but the number of times he says "Our Guys", "WWF Guys", "WCW Guys" and "ECW Guys" is nauseating. The reveal is still shit but with hindsight, it's astonishing that I gave a shit about that Alliance crew in the first place.