The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

I interviewed Taylor once for just under two hours and it was just like that shoot. 

During a two-year in-ring run for WWE, Taylor's most notable match was a four-way tag team ladder match, though initially road agents suggested it would be an easy night for he and partner Regal. "They kept saying to me 'We don't want you to go up that ladder' cause I were like 50 years old. I said 'Do you think I can't climb the bastard ladder?! I can climb straight to the top of that ladder with no hands!' They were like 'Bullshit' so I went straight to the top of the fucking ladder and said 'Look, can anyone else do it?'

[/quote]"Wrestling Indians was the closest it got to being real, without being real. This Indian came into the dressing room and he had a turban, cauliflower ears and a flat nose. I didn't know that if Indian wrestlers have seen you wrestle and respect you, they bow down to you and kiss your feet. So when he did that I jumped up and did what the sand wrestlers do: I hit myself in the thighs and stared right at him.

"This guy ripped his turban off and wanted to go at me quickly. He said 'You insult me, I'm Asian games gold medallist.' So I said 'OK, me British champion, Olympic Games. Go on then.' I were bullshitting on my side, but he weren't bullshitting! He went 'Sorry, sorry, sorry' and shook my hands, and I thought 'that were near, that were very near.'[/quote]

Debuting in the World War III battle royale:

"I were down to the last 10 in one ring, and then you had to all get into the main ring. There's Hogan, Macho Man, all the big stars. I go to climb in the ring and Paul Orndorff got hold of me, so I punched him. But it connected and smashed his mouth open. And he went 'Whoa!'

"And then Hogan goes to get hold of me, so I turned round and gave him an uppercut and he goes 'Whoa!' and I could see on his face he's thinking 'Fuck that!' I thought 'Shiiit, I just hit two of the top guys here', and Orndorff could have kicked my brains in because he's a genuine tough guy. Ever since that, whenever I see Hogan he goes 'Here he comes, Mr Uppercut!'

Wrestling Indians was the closest it got to being real, without being real. This Indian came into the dressing room and he had a turban, cauliflower ears and a flat nose. I didn't know that if Indian wrestlers have seen you wrestle and respect you, they bow down to you and kiss your feet. So when he did that I jumped up and did what the sand wrestlers do: I hit myself in the thighs and stared right at him.

"This guy ripped his turban off and wanted to go at me quickly. He said 'You insult me, I'm Asian games gold medallist.' So I said 'OK, me British champion, Olympic Games. Go on then.' I were bullshitting on my side, but he weren't bullshitting! He went 'Sorry, sorry, sorry' and shook my hands, and I thought 'that were near, that were very near.'

Edited by JNLister

Poetry that, can't stop laughing at this

I said 'Do you think I can't climb the bastard ladder?! I can climb straight to the top of that ladder with no hands!' They were like 'Bullshit' so I went straight to the top of the fucking ladder and said 'Look, can anyone else do it?'

Lovely image of Taylor in his gear at the top of a ladder roaring "EE AR! SEE!?" at the agents

• Paid Members

With utter joy, I just found the full transcript that I made before writing it up as an article.

At the time, when I were amateur, I hated professional. I couldn't have been no more against it than I was. I came round to it, I realised that there were a lot of tough guys. I just thought it were all pathetic because I were like a real wrestler. But after my dad had beat the shit out of me a dozen times... and my grandad had beat the shit out of me, I began to realise that it's a lot harder than what I thought it were

I'd just come from the British championships in Edinburgh, and I'd got third place and I thought I were the bees knees. We had a wrestling mat on the farm where I lived and my grandad came over, I think he were about 65 and he said "Go on, we'll have a pull." I'm thinking, I'm a lot bigger than him, a lot younger than him, I'm thinking shit, I don't want to hurt him. Well he beat the shit out of me. I could not believe it, a little skinny old man dragged me all over the mat. I could not believe how good he was at that age. And I thought I were the man!

Anybody from England, "they were all shooters". I don't know why. Let's face it, most of the guys [in] US are better wrestlers than we were because they all wrestle in school and college! You'd put them in holds for them to get out of. Me and Regal against Sting and Luger, I put him in a toe and ankle, take the leg for him to spin me out and I take a bump. I'd been doing this a couple of times and he never spun me out: but it's for him, to make him look good, not me. 3rd time After the match, he came up to me and said "You keep putting me in them holds and I can't get out of them." I said "Fucking hell, it's for you: Just turn over and spin and I take a front bump." But he said "Yeah, but I don't know it!" I were trying to make him look good by doing this. I realised to myself, if they don't know it, it's hard. So then you start reverting and doing American stuff, or you put a hold on and let go of it yourself.

Also there's a bit I didn't write up where he explains how he was a trainer for WWE and basically retired, but offered to do some motion capture for the video game to make a bit of extra cash. Despite being 50 he hit everyone's finisher perfectly and Tommy Dreamer, who was 'agenting' for the game immediately phoned up WWE and told them to get him wrestling on the main roster.

On 16/02/2018 at 9:44 AM, tiger_rick said:

Watching WCW 1993 PPVs after reading @Liam O'Rourke Pillman book and having another listen to the SCG rebooking show. I'd forgotten how hard Scorpio lands on Benoit's head in the opener doing the somersault into a legdrop. Lucky to avoid an Alan Funk injury.

Jesus, that Tumbleweed is the stuff of nightmares. Be keen to know your best/worst of the year when you've made it through them all, there are some repugnant shows that year...

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Jesus, that Tumbleweed is the stuff of nightmares. Be keen to know your best/worst of the year when you've made it through them all, there are some repugnant shows that year...

I made myself sit through Starrcade 91 after that book. It was bloody awful apart from Terence Taylor & Tom Zenk Vs Lex Luger & Arn Anderson. JR calling Pillman bodyslamming Abdullah while they're showing Sting and Eaton brawling around on the outside was ridiculous. There's abit during Richard Morton & Dustin Rhodes Vs  El Gigante & Larry Zbysko at the end where Morton forgets he's supposed to be a hell and just autopilots himself into that on one knee throwing up the metal horns pose while Rhodes makes the cover after they hit the double dropkick, then immediately afterwards he goes right back into character. Very young Bryan Clarke filling in for Scott Hall teaming with Rick Steiner was interesting to see as well.

The new blood episode of nitro from april 2000.....the new blood in the ring at the start has, Virgil, Knobbs, Haku, Norman Smiley, Finlay, and loads of people i dont even recognise anymore. Few tall chaps, Disco, Van Hammer.....how shite in retrospect. I enjoyed it at the time though.Liz looks radient though. 

Who are the goodies meant to be?  Classic car wreck WCW which was easy to watch but you’d pull your hair out trying to make sense out of it. 

19 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I made myself sit through Starrcade 91 after that book. It was bloody awful apart from Terence Taylor & Tom Zenk Vs Lex Luger & Arn Anderson. JR calling Pillman bodyslamming Abdullah while they're showing Sting and Eaton brawling around on the outside was ridiculous. There's abit during Richard Morton & Dustin Rhodes Vs  El Gigante & Larry Zbysko at the end where Morton forgets he's supposed to be a hell and just autopilots himself into that on one knee throwing up the metal horns pose while Rhodes makes the cover after they hit the double dropkick, then immediately afterwards he goes right back into character. Very young Bryan Clarke filling in for Scott Hall teaming with Rick Steiner was interesting to see as well.

That show is so bloody awful, the perfect snapshot of Dusty Rhodes' booking in the 90s - slapdash, shit thrown together with no ability to create a story and actually see it through all the way, with a parade of stiff stinking up the joint and horribly miscast talent. Plus the Battle Bowl idea kind of sucks anyway.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

That show is so bloody awful, the perfect snapshot of Dusty Rhodes' booking in the 90s - slapdash, shit thrown together with no ability to create a story and actually see it through all the way, with a parade of stiff stinking up the joint and horribly miscast talent. Plus the Battle Bowl idea kind of sucks anyway.

You can only be eliminated from ring number 1 by being thrown over the top rope into ring number 2, so loads of guys are going over the top rope and just standing in the first ring at the opposite side so as to avoid elimination. Vader goes through the middle rope,then is told by the ref to go into ring number 2. At the end when Sting and Luger are going at it Sting goes over the top rope but lands on the ramp so he's not eliminated as he didn't land on the floor.  It's just such a mess. The random tag team tournament isn't a bad idea in theory, it could give some of your lower down the card guys some exposure and you could stumble across a great team, but this one was so hackneyed in places.

I’ve just watched MITB 2011 again and that utter cretin ‘Brock Lesnar Guy’ is there, behind the announce table. All chubby, with a skinhead and still mugging like a prick.

Also, Orton and Christian had crazy good chemistry. 

The hype video, followed by Punks entrance, in the main event is just next level. In retrospect, it’s almost moving. I reckon that level of devotion to one man is a thing of the past. Bryan maybe got close, but this is fucking tribal. The crowd are chanting over his entrance and you get the feeling when he sits cross legged in the middle of the ring that any one of them would run through brick walls for him. Christ. I remember around that time, 2010-ish, we always used to say ‘it’s not like it used to be’ but fuck me, that night is ‘all-time great’ level.

It isn’t like it used to be.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Was it Starcade '91 that had a legitimately random draw for the tag teams?

As horrible as it is in its own right, Starrcade '91 feels even worse when you consider the house show lineups they were running every other night that week, and how much better if it would've been if they'd just went with a similar card to those.

Compare and contrast with the Christmas day Omni card for example; Sting vs Rude, Dragon/Dustin vs Double A/Beautiful Bobby (2 out of 3 falls), Flyin' Brian vs Liger, and the Steiners vs Luger and Austin in singles matches.

With a lineup like that, on PPV, and with so many title matches, the show would've been a surefire success with the minimum of creative effort - all they'd need to do was put in a bit of thought for an angle to set up Sting/Luger at Superbrawl

To be fair, I guess they needed a gimmick to sell the event due to a lack of any real money match at the time, but if they had to do Battlebowl, just have a plain old battle royal at the end without all the convoluted, overelaborate bollocks or the lethal lottery tournament that preceded it (although I do agree somewhat with the earlier post - that part's not necessarily a bad idea in theory for a Clash or something). If they needed to differentiate it from a bog-standard battle royal, have it  over two rings - that would create a pretty neat spectacle and you could still follow the action unlike World War III.

• Awards Moderator

Still working my way through the Network’s top 100 Raw moments. Number 36 was the segment where DX dressed up as the McMahons, made cock jokes, danced to Stand Back and then dumped poo on the real McMahons and the Spirit Squad.

Never seen that segment before but I can say with some degree of confidence that it is not the 36th best Raw moment ever.

35 is that night where Roman beat Sheamus for the title and punched Vince and it finally seemed the crowd were with him. A moment in time.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator