PCW Troubles?

wyattlegacy

I'm a pretty big defender of Fludder, in how he's done things. I'm not a fan of PCW, I like storyline-heavy stuff (PROGRESS/Futureshock) much more than one-night/exhibition/import stuff nowadays. I also think Fludder comes across as a right tit online; but I've attended two PCW events, one as a fan (Celebrating Axl Rage's birthday, if anyone remembers him), and one as a last-minute commentary replacement for Greg Lambert as I lived down the road (apologies to anyone who heard that commentary, as it was possibly the worst work I've ever done).

On both occasions I was there during the set-up, and it's one of the most well-prepared shows I've ever been to, with all the talent (UK & otherwise) having a really comfortable time in a great locker room atmosphere. It's also the most I've ever been paid for any contract gig, entirely unprompted as I'd offered to step in for free as a favour. Don't know what happens to him once he gets online, but in person he's always been an incredible gent.

As ever Ben nails it, pretty much everything I would say really but more eloquently put. I would add to the workrate match aspect of it that the prospect of a great Kris Travis match kept me coming back the first few shows I went and his loss left a big hole. Briefly it looked like Mark Andrews (before TNA), and Will Ospreay (before the parting of ways) would help fill that but Ligero/Bubblegum have been closest to fulfilling that whilst Dar picked up the big fan favourite face side of things.

Also in terms of the creative, 2014 (with Lionheart as babyface GM) felt like a big growth year for them, but heel authority ever since has grown wearisome. There is a reason after all that despite their TV obsession with heel authority WWE usually have the babyfaces go over on house shows.

On the social media/internet thing its not unique in BritWres sadly, I've seen both the unfashionable PCW and uber fashionable Progress post stuff that have had me scratch my head and cringe. If it is a company account it is not a personal account, and you are always dealing with either current or potential customers and should be selling yourself at all times. #dontbeadick as I believe some people like to say.

• Paid Members

Haven't been a show since I got back into acting in 2014. Fludder is what he is. The shows are organised, but story wise always found it a bit stagnant. I've really gone off British wrestling in the last few years. I hear absolutely brilliant things about it, but for some reason I've not much interest in seeing PCW, PROGRESS or anything like that. I don't think I enjoy live wrestling shows anymore. Loved lots of the people I met, but a lot of fans at big UK wrestling companies make me feel uncomfortable. It's odd, I used to love it.

Edited by WWFChilli

I went to a fair few PCW shows between 2012-2014. By last show I went to which was the 3 years anniversary it had just got to a point where I was only going to a show which had imports that my mates I went down with wanted to see. Any rivalries between UK talent became non existent and the talent often losing to imports that were at times some fellas that had seen better days led to a lot of goodwill being lost.

The T-Bone vs Travis feud over the title was a rivalry that built over a few shows and produced some great heated matches. It made the Title seem like it was worth fighting over and both of these men really won me over. I can't really seem to recall a proper feud since this one and perhaps Trav and Hayes which was back in 2013.

Apart from a few local shows in North Wales, PCW was my gateway in to British wrestling and it is a shame that it has lost so much momentum. Obviously we all know that the 'workrate', major indie names and humour are now found in the other promotions and presented very well so I won't repeat any of that.

However, whereas PCW originally used to have a bit of buzz for its live atmosphere it now just seems to piggyback rather than innovate. Other promotions have helped propel guys in to finding their calling before eventually heading overseas on to exciting opportunities.

Marty Scurll in his guise as Progress champion is what got him to PWG and beyond and has ultimately put him on the map.

Jack Gallagher honing his craft in Futureshock for years and visiting other cities for ICW where got to flex some characters (e.g Being the cocky Manc in Liverpool) ultimately prepared him for what awaits.

Drew Galloway has a fire lit underneath him in ICW and had displayed character and aggression in a way that he never did in WWE. It's this Drew that went to TNA and held gold in Evolve.

I can't really think of the PCW success stories that you can point to in the same way. Other than Kris Travis who we got to see gain some recognition in British Bootcamp.

In regards to the piggybacking just see:

Uhaa Nation - name with a bit of buzz internationally, has a few visits to PCW and gets a quick title run to capitalise on him being confirmed as heading to WWE

Doug Williams - released by TNA and becomes PCW champion on the same weekend whilst his name is over the news sites. Ends T-Bone reign whilst he was coming in to his own.

Lionheart - on a Big Brother for a few minutes whilst doing a challenge? Better put the title on him.

Balor and Owens - a couple of appearances in the year/months leading to NXT arrivals. Put out a dvd focusing on the two of them because it was definitely the two PCW visits which was the pivotal turning points in their career.

Drew Galloway - lighting everywhere else on fire? Get him on board, better late than never.

Noam Dar title win - despite being in the mix for years and deciding his best use for a long time was going on a bit of an embarrassing losing streak and carrying a bag to the ring - upon WWE starting to sniff around then it is time to put the belt on him.

Ultimately, the variety show aspect and lack of focus on any particular direction as well as a lot of the stuff mentioned earlier has just left the perception of the place in the dirt.

I did have a good few nights there on the piss though so I can't take that away!

Edited by Sexy Dad

I think all of those comments are pretty unfair. Uhaa Nation was nowhere a big US Indy name when he got signed. He wasn't in ROH and he wasn't really in EVOLVE. Had some matches in PWG but his most notable stuff was in Dragon Gate and over here, because of the PCW connection.

As for Lionheart, didn't he win the belt as a swerve after "retiring" over social media?

Plus I see no harm in putting the belt on Noam Dar. He's been a guy who's received opportunities in PCW and really got over from it and despite a few dodgy moments with the heel turn and the promos where he kinda hinted he was into drugs he's been up in the main event scene for a while. More than enough to have a title run. Even if he wasn't off to RAW, he'd have had a run eventually.

I've not been to PCW for a while, mainly due to me not being too interested in the imports they bring over and the storylines being a little confusing. Am interested in the November weekend though, mainly because guys like Joey Janela, Keith Lee and what not being guys who haven't been seen over here but IMO are guys likely to really get over.

I'm not taking anything away from Dar, he's great. I'm bringing up the point that he is champion now that he's on the way out and when he was stealing the show in ICW in a series of matches with Joe Coffey,it was decided that his time in Preston was better used stalling with Dave Rayne, losing to an obese Steve Corino and incorporating a bag in to his matches.

Edited by Sexy Dad

Did they ever release a best of Chris Masters. The anti-pirate using a WWE trademarked name on PCW shows.

They did, with a cover inspired by the old Masters of the Universe figure card backs

Did they ever release a best of Chris Masters. The anti-pirate using a WWE trademarked name on PCW shows.

They did, with a cover inspired by the old Masters of the Universe figure card backs

Pcw is strange beast, went to every show until the 2nd or third Halloween show and gradually got more and more bored with it. The reasons I went, shits and giggles with mates, came to a halt as people started to not go because of cost, with ticket prices it's easy to spend upwards of 50 quid on one show, it's easy a 3 figure weekend and is hard to justify when it woul pay for other things.

The gradual retirement of wrestlers Mad Man Mansun and the move away from comedy matches and or little skits, basically Dave Rayne,PCfiction or rumble silliness as well as genuinely brilliant matches Tozawa vs Ligs, Steen vs Trav, Gresham vs Mastiff, Bubblegum vs Elgin,and so on have dwindled as people have signed up to Lu, WWE or TNA or moved on for whatever reason has meant there is no longer a special feel to it anymore.

I've seen who I want to in terms of imports unless is Aerostar and most of the Lu roster, those I care about no longer wrestle regularly or at all for Pcw and there's not actually very much to entice me there aside from a few guys will always lookout for.

With all the combined it makes it difficult to keep justify going, even the six ways which were mesmerising became dull and insipid and much of what made it special has been lost.

I work with a number of the academy guys and the academy shows have that same fun aspect about them rather than plodding through import vs someone, because.

Pcw used to be good at making it worthwhile for imports now its more a case of meh and malaise,it's a shame

Oh, that sounds fun.

Set up in the ring is a chair and a two-decked VCR, while Chris Masters explains the Master Copy Challenge: "Nobody pirates the Master Copy!"

• Paid Members

They usually are - Len Davis & Steven Gauntley were too - didn't take them long to get fleeced by the wolves.

I wouldn't worry about Len, he's doing alright by all accounts.

After all, he has his own kingdom.

WTF? That could be the worst thing I've ever seen. What's the background - who made it? How did someone convince him to do that? Was he in on the joke?