The Crystal Maze Appreciation Thread

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of loved Crystal Maze, but if I'm honest even as a little'un I was basically only ever waiting for the Future Zone - was a real grind when it wasn't on till last.

One thing that gets me on repeat watches, is the way sneaky shots were spliced in during some games - I presume to make what was happening easier to understand to the viewer, but they were implausible shots clearly filmed after the event and dropped in, like POV shots of hands opening doors in the main games, or close ups of something intricate when from the wide shots it was clear there weren't camera's on there to capture it.

Once you spot it, it's really annoying.

The show was shot over two days. Day one they would run through the maze normally then the dome to determine the result. Day two the contestants would have to go back and film extra shots for the director. Former contestant and director talk about it here https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/to-the-crystal-dome?utm_term=.pmDnz5xQa#.etWxWkrQN

Interesting reading about the guy who came up with The Crystal Maze, Jacques Antoine. He also created Fort Boyard, Treasure Hunt and Interceptor. Ch4 wanted to make a English version of Fort Boyard but the castle was being renovated at the time and they could not film there. So Jacques Antoine came up with The Crystal Maze instead.

Definition of comfort TV for me this show. Wasn't massively enthusiastic about much on TV when I was growing up. Gamesmaster, Knightmare, Maid Marian, It'll Never Work and Round The Bend I liked a lot. Spatz too. This was in a league of it's own though. Made sure I was sat down with my dad watching Channel 4 every time it was on (was it Wednesdays?) and Christmas for the kid's special.

Hated the Aztec and Medieval zones, but adored the Future and Industrial. Totally gutted when they got rid of Industrial for Ocean. Reminds me of the end of it all a bit when I think of the Ocean. I know Tricky Dick did a series in it but it'll always have that Ed Tudor Pole stench. Favourite game was one I didn't remember seeing too often which was a Laser Tag type game in the Future zone that had a robot hidden behind a column and the contestant in return had to fire back. Basically the technology of remote controls for your telly, but very exciting at the time.

Anybody ever go to one of those earlier interactive Crystal Maze games in the 90's? there was one in Blackpool at the Sandcastle that I dragged my dad to on an otherwise unrelated trip that I think was with my nan's knitting circle or something because the coach there was made up of absolute head the ball kids who are now either in prison or dead and their grandmothers. It pissed down the entire day so 80% of it was spent inside the Sandcastle and my strongest memories are a gang of us breaking into Keith Harris' stage show while the theatre wasn't being used and someone literally shitting themselves in Jungle Jim's down the road later on. Anyway, the Crsytal Maze - it was shit. I don't think my dad quite knew what to make of it and I remember it being very dark with the two us staring at quite a lot of CRT monitors with Commodore level graphics telling us riddles, my dad forcing me to go on a rope swing and the Crystal Maze amounting to one of those greenhouses you get round the back of youth clubs with the tokens represented by what looked like a load of fruit machine buttons and getting a fucking certificate at the end instead of a crystal. Nary a bald headed teddy boy ponce in sight at all. Disappointing.

• Paid Members

The show was shot over two days. Day one they would run through the maze normally then the dome to determine the result. Day two the contestants would have to go back and film extra shots for the director. Former contestant and director talk about it here https://www.buzzfeed...5xQa#.etWxWkrQN

Fascinating!  Thanks for that chief, i've had many an argument with people who disputed that, that i'd 'imagined' those shots!  I'm not mental after all.

Ed Tudor Pole played the Hull Adelphi when we were in our early 20s. There must have been about 30 people in the place, 8 of which were us who mainly just went along to see a former Crystal Maze presenter. As the gig was so poorly attended and the venue just being two terraced houses converted together, it made it very easy to move to different corners of the room shouting "to the medieval zone!" for one corner, "to the futuristic zone!" for another and so forth

• Paid Members

https://youtu.be/LGzYCkki8Es

I loved the show as a little one. Rewatched a load on Challenge a few years ago and although it dated to buggery I still enjoyed it in a watching an idiot attempt a challenge and their workmates shout idiocy at them kind of way.

The best thing that came from the Crystal Maze for me was the drinking game we came up with.

All sorts of pub/bar styled challenges set across 4 pubs. You competed against a second team and automatic lock ins resulted in that person's shoes being removed so they couldn't leave the bar.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Cracking news. Maze is back full time, and without Westcountry wankhead Stephen Merchant as presenter. It's got that bloke from IT Crowd, which is much better.

From the Independent.

Beloved game show The Crystal Maze is returning to Channel 4 with Richard Ayoade on presenting duties.

The actor-director will host 20 hour-long episodes taking over from Stephen Merchant who oversaw a one-off celebrity versionin October 2016 in aid of Stand Up to Cancer.

Excitingly, the new run will take place at a purpose-built maze in Bristol that's being devised by original designer James Dillon; it'll span over 30,000 feet.

Ayoade, star of C4 sitcom The IT Crowd and director of filmsSubmarine and The Double, will bring his irreverent wit to proceedings, taking over from past hosts Richard O'Brien and Ed Tudor-Pole. Following Channel 4's acquisition of The Great British Bake Off, Ayoade was bandied around as a potential replacement for hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins.

The series' format will remain largely the same with teams of five contestants putting their physical and mental skills to the test in a bid to make it to the crystal dome.

Channel 4's Head of Live & Events Tom Beck said: " I couldn't be more pleased and excited that Richard has agreed to become the new Maze Master - he's an inspired choice."

Details on how to be a contestant will be revealed soon, but in the meantime, get your practice in at the London live attraction.

The Crystal Maze originally ran from 1990 to 1995.

Archived