Meeting old friends that aren't doing so well !

RancidPunx

Anybody run into some old friends or schoolmates that aren't doing so well in life ?

I was home at my dads house at the weekend and ran into some guys I went to school with when out on Saturday night.

I met a guy that was one of the cool guys in school. He had a girlfriend first, he was smoking and drinking and going out from an earlier age than most. All his mates wore leather jackets had long hair etc and had their own gang and generally were living the life in secondary school.

I wasn't a nerd or one of the cooler kids , I was firmly in the middle so I always on good terms with your man. He invited me to a few house party's and things so I was somewhat friendly with him.

I met him at the weekend and he looked about 15 years older than the rest of us, he looked like he had been ages by alcohol. He wasn't working, had a daughter with a girl he isn't with any more, and is still living at home with his parents . We are about 35. We spent an hour talking about school days and old mutual friends and such.

I wouldn't say I'm doing spectacular in life but it kinda stuck a chord with me. Has anybody ever come across people from their past with any interesting stories or that life didn't pan out for ?

• Paid Members

I was walking through town the other week and saw a guy in the street who was in my class in primary school. We weren't exactly friends, he was part of the cool crew and I was an awkward geek. I didn't really fancy saying hello, I never see the point with people who I wasn't close with beforehand and haven't spoken to in nearly twenty years.

It didn't look like I had much choice though. He'd spotted me and was walking over to say hello. I sighed and prepared myself for one of those awkward conversations. Then he mumbled, "have you got twenty pence mate?" and I suddenly realised he hadn't recognised me at all, he was just for looking for some money. He was completely oblivious. Once he was closer it also became very apparent that he was now either a drug addict or a tramp. A very weird experience.

• Paid Members

I've been terrified of going back to Nottingham, and running into the lad from my year who has been living on the streets there since his teens. Would be absolutely devastating. 

I've told the story here before, but a lad nicknamed Gremlin from my year was an absolute riot, and I was gutted to find out that he'd died in a doorway in my hometown (Arnold, just outside of Nottingham) aged 26. Real kick in the balls, heard his funeral was just attended by two mates from school. 

I was walking through town the other week and saw a guy in the street who was in my class in primary school. We weren't exactly friends, he was part of the cool crew and I was an awkward geek. I didn't really fancy saying hello, I never see the point with people who I wasn't close with beforehand and haven't spoken to in nearly twenty years.

It didn't look like I had much choice though. He'd spotted me and was walking over to say hello. I sighed and prepared myself for one of those awkward conversations. Then he mumbled, "have you got twenty pence mate?" and I suddenly realised he hadn't recognised me at all, he was just for looking for some money. He was completely oblivious. Once he was closer it also became very apparent that he was now either a drug addict or a tramp. A very weird experience.

Need I ask, did you give him the 20p?

• Paid Members

Saw this one lad in the Bridges toilets in our town centre recently. He'd put on a bit of weight, looked a bit out there due to all the citalopram he's been taking for the last 18 months and generally had a look on his face which made me think he was a proper drop out. I felt really sorry for him.

Even more so when I realised it was my reflection when I was washing my hands. But at least Im washing my hands after a piss these days, which is a plus.

Not exactly school but I did performing arts in college and there was a lad in the deploma's as I was in the first years called Wayne corkhill.

He was a really good mate of mine and we would go party at his house most weekends.

Anyways I got a message on Facebook last year when I was living in st Annes off him asking if I wanted too meet up for a drink as he has moved too Blackpool. He was always abit of a chav but I thought he was an all round good guy and had his heart in the right place.

I went for a few pints and a catch up with him and my god he looked like a smack head with a little pedo moustache and was hanging around with real down and outs in the area.

Cut too 2 weeks after I got a message off my best mate (who was in his year also) with a link to the gazette website and he has been sent down for 10 years for trying to fuck underage girls!!!!

He thought he was chatting up a 12 year old on Facebook and it was actually her dad, she dobbed him into the police where it came out he had actually met up with a few underage girls.

Fucking sick cunt

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've come into contact with a LOT of people who were the smart kids at school who have became junkies \ alcoholics (normally after family bereavement I've found) including sadly one that I had a crush on. What can you say really without seeming like you're better than them (when you aren't)? They've got to have a reason to try and change. Luckiy, for me, my nephew came along (at exactly the right time) or I was heading down that hole of severe depression again and stuffing those painkillers down. Whole friends thing always makes me cry. I feel like all us who went right through school are like a team and when something happens to one of them, everybody feels it. I've been to too many fucking funerals for somebody at 37.

• Moderators

Most of the popular hard football lads from school, who started drinking and smoking when they were fourteen, are ravaged by 20 years of booze and fags, and look like fifty-year-old pregnant men. Almost universally, they fit the 'peaked in highschool' phrase, and spend their days harping on about football and beer on badly-spelled Facebook posts. I don't know if that counts as not doing so well though, as most of them are happily married with kids, and probably not super jealous that I'm in good nick with a fabulous hairline, and fuck all else going on.

One guy suddenly appeared as a person I might know on Facebook a couple of years ago, having apparently signed up and friended about 20 people we had in common. He vanished again a few weeks later, and then showed up as a story in The Sun, having broken the terms of his release from a psyche institution, by using a FB page to write threats to a girl from the year below us who he'd been obsessively stalking for 20 years. She'd been a Page 3 model, and he'd spent years stalking and telling her he loved her, and threatening to kill her, sleeping on a bench outside her flat. He'd been sectioned over it, reappearing on Faceook years later to make public posts all his old school chums could read about burning out her eyes, which got him sectioned again.

One girl from my class, a notoriously toothless, shoplifting, high-on-furniture-polish figure in town, made the national press a couple of years ago for stamping on a neighbour's duck then setting her dog on it, and then drunkenly falling into their pond at 8 in the morning, all caught on CCTV.

• Paid Members

Not sure why you're doubting some of these stories Butch.

For instance, one lad at school, Oscar I think his name was, ended up becoming a right robbing klepto after school. He'd hoard seemingly completely useless items for next to no reason, always in trouble because of it. Right miserable grouchy sod whenever I bumped into him. He was frightfully unkempt last time I saw him, with a long shaggy mane of blackish/green hair all over his body and his nose was pretty much non-existent, I would guess from hardcore drug usage. Saddest part was, he popped up from a trashcan which he apparently lived in. He said 'It's bigger on the inside' in a strange garbled tongue, but I just kept walking because I was late for a meeting with my pals Elmo and Big Bird.

It is hard to judge on well someone is doing after talking to them for half hour in the last 20 years. Different people go through different things in life and you shouldnt really judge anyone if they are bald or living at home still. Rapists and Peados yeh, thats fine. But it's a very shallow thread really.

Archived