WWE's bland production?

garynysmon

I always like an interesting set although it doesn't make a massive difference to how I enjoy the product but I do like PPV sets to look different to the normal TV set. I've randomly stuck TNA on Challenge before and had no idea I was watching a PPV because everything was laid out the same.

I always loved the sets that could be interacted with during matches though, seeing folk get thrown in to or off the staging did make some angles more memorable for me at least. Stuff like the cars at Armageddon, the pallets and general shit under the yellow taxi at Royal Rumble 2000, the big swinging blade things at backlash.

Well, one thing it's been harder to differentiate is the difference between Raw, Smackdown and the PPV. They've introduced new sets for Raw and Smackdown but, from what I could see, Smackdown's is a bit of a modification of the standard set up rather than an overhaul. I understand they're not going to want to do a completely different set for logistical reasons and at least the different arrangement is a step in the right direction. The issue of course is that in an era where you often have people swapping wins on Raw and Smackdown before and after their PPV, or Rusev and Reigns having their match on it before Summerslam, the PPV can feel less special as it looks and feels like the weekly show more. I guess the brighter changing LED ring apron and ringposts are a good step for being cost effective, less faff, and making each event stand out as different.

Edit: yeah, what was said above.

Archived