Miz gets angry and cuts a money promo on Talking Smack

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They tried this during the ruthless aggression era didn't they? 

Doing the whole 'real shoot' promos mentioning things a bit close to home. 

It all began when Austin left the WWE with the whole 'Austin took his ball and went home'. I'm sure they were trying to be edgy then for a year or so. 

• Paid Members

You're right they did, but even now I can't help just thinking was Vince being bitter and trying to call his bluff, or was it fully worked shoot?

Really, they were shooting as far back a Nacho Man to be fair. The JR bells stuff, xpac 'you suck pal'.

But, calling out one of your locker room peers for failed drugs testing, after all the shit we have been force fed about the dangers of certain substances, added to the shite flying around at the time about steroids/athletes/Olympics/disqualification... caught me well off guard.

• Paid Members

I think a lot of the things such as Reigns and Brock's failed drug tests, it's harder NOT to acknowledge them due to Twitter and social media in general. It's not just the smarks that know about this, everyone including kids know about this too nowadays. If the entire Universe~ knows it, you might as well get it out in the open.

• Paid Members

Ohh no doubt about that punk, it's just fucked up hearing it as part of segment.

Crazy world we live in, in which there's some form of justification for it.

I understand it's mentioned on the website, much like previous failed tests. Didn't think it would be briefly written in to angles.

However, nowt has been said about, ADR, Paige or Eva on TV yet. Is that due to none of them being in any top flight feuds/important enough, or because testing/evidence whatever, is still on going?

• Paid Members

They worked Eva's into a storyline, Del Rio is on his way out and isn't even featured in the intro or Tapout videos now, and Paige is irrelevant. Reigns pretty much had to be brought up.

• Paid Members

Ahh well, fair play. I clearly haven't watched enough Raw or SD over recent weeks.

As above, I full agree that it makes sense to acknowledge it, but I don't know, completely flawed me when I actually heard it being referenced in front of a live crowd.

World we live in eh?

They tried this during the ruthless aggression era didn't they? 

Doing the whole 'real shoot' promos mentioning things a bit close to home. 

It all began when Austin left the WWE with the whole 'Austin took his ball and went home'. I'm sure they were trying to be edgy then for a year or so. 

Not really. WWE had to respond to their biggest star suddenly disappearing by making him out to be a no game pussy, otherwise the public would only have had the angle of "Stone Cold left because the WWE sucks right now" so it's a different situation, really.

There are plenty of examples of them incorporating populist opinions they would before never acknowledge into the product in the last five or six years. It's all out in the open now, and the crowd realise the power they have. I really can't think of that many from the Ruthless Aggression era. Edge & Hardy's thing is the main one that comes to mind.

Even when the crowds were hot back then they were always going along with the stories. They were never really in revolt mode. Wrestlers in ring promos likewise always stuck to the stories. If 2003 were in 2016 Goldberg would have come out on the top of Raw talking about how Triple H has spent the past year steamrolling the shit out of everyone. 

I may be well out with my dates, but around the Austin thing wasn't there other instances of them being very close to the mark, Edge/Hardy they turned into an angle in the end, but didn't they also shoot quite a bit with the ECW one night stand show as well?

For the life of me I can't remember dates, so this may be around the same time. 

I'm sure there were other examples. 

Austin was 2002, Lita and edge was 2005 , one night stand shortly after.

You may be thinking of around 2002 they had the uncensored show that was more outside of storyline content?

They need more promos like this on the main show.  All promos now seem to be done in front of the crowd and you couldnt have something like this work and have the intensity in front of a live crowd.  More backstage segments, more Mene Gene interviews and round table debates in between and less promos in the ring and "hidden camera" acting

Archived