The Trial of The Undertaker

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/sxq2kc/SCG_Radio_95_-_The_Trial_Of_The_Undertaker.mp3

Join us for The Trial of The Undertaker! Both Taker and WWE are up on the charge of Misrepresentation of Stature, and Fraud in overstating Taker's success in and impact on WWE. We take your "witness statements" on the charge, and debate the first Decade of Destruction, the Biker/Deadman Part Deux years, as well as his time as a Special Attraction with his famed WrestleMania streak. A debate that covers every facet of Undertaker's WWE career, this was a tremendously spirited Trial, covering backstage politics, what his role in the company really was in the 90s, his importance as WWE's fortunes changed, loyalty, preferencial treatment and more. Check it out and let us know what you think!

What's weird is when you think about his second big title reign in 1997 and his hot feud against Austin in 1998, he had been in the WWE for around 7-8 years. He was already seen as a legend then and its mad when you compare his tenure:

Dolph Ziggler's 11 year WWE stint (including spirit squad)

Cody Rhodes 9 years

Jack Swagger 8 years (including ECW lite)

Within a year he beat HULK HOGAN for the title whilst Hogan was at the top of his game and sure it was a short reign but it showed how much faith the company had in him. 

His matches with Bundy, Kamala, Gonzales, Yokozuna and others were the shits but then they would be. He was lumbered with a slow paced gimmick which only picked up when Mankind debuted. He elevated Foley to heights he may not have achieved otherwise. He had a brilliant run opposite a fairly limited Kane and he was integral to the Austin/Kane/Mankind feud of 1998. 

His matches were brilliant from around 2006 onward - his No Way Out match against Angle was great as were his matches opposite Edge, Michaels, Triple H and Lesnar at No Mercy 2002 and SummerSlam 2015. 

I believe his early work wasn't all that great but played the gimmick perfectly and earned the respect of fans all over the world with his never complaining, always trying attitude toward the business. He was always around in the good and bad times in WWE and for that he is a legend. 

His behaviour in the early 2000s had a lot to be desired. He didn't give some of the WCW guys the shake that they should have and he seemed to phone it in on occasion following his 2000 return but worked his butt off to get in shape and perform more consistently and of a higher standard for the years to follow - years when he could be forgiven for taking it easy. 

• Paid Members

All that I can say is... ob'Fucking'jection.

Guilty... seriously.... guilty?

The prosecution had very good arguments, but that was mainly due to their own charisma.

The main argument they had was that he had poor matches against WWEs worst ever wrestlers, he wasn't the main headline act and that he politict against Brian Adams.

In fairness, they argued really well, I was informed of things I wasn't aware, as usual when listening to this podcast, howevereverever... guilty... behave.

• Paid Members

Loads of things, he made other wrestlers get changed outside of the changing rooms so that he could park his motorbike somewhere 'safe'.

He didn't like how tall KroniK were when they joined as a tag team so demanded that they sat down whenever he and Kane were in the vicinity, Bryan Clark was stood up in the buffet line backstage, taker walked past, got pissed off so had them fired.

During the DDP feud, he didn't like the idea of Page getting too close to Sara, so suggested using a stunt double, still not happy with this, he demanded that they used a stunt double for Page too, when he was told that the fans would possibly guess that it wasn't the real Page half way through the angle, he decided that the feud was ended.

• Paid Members

Loads of things, he made other wrestlers get changed outside of the changing rooms so that he could park his motorbike somewhere 'safe'.

He didn't like how tall KroniK were when they joined as a tag team so demanded that they sat down whenever he and Kane were in the vicinity, Bryan Clark was stood up in the buffet line backstage, taker walked past, got pissed off so had them fired.

During the DDP feud, he didn't like the idea of Page getting too close to Sara, so suggested using a stunt double, still not happy with this, he demanded that they used a stunt double for Page too, when he was told that the fans would possibly guess that it wasn't the real Page half way through the angle, he decided that the feud was ended.

Cheers. Sounds absolutely daft but no smoke without fire I guess.

Yeah those ones sound like a massive stretch. He played politics throughout that year but I imagine it was more the "I'm not jobbing to these WCW goons and we're going to make them look like shit in the ring" we saw. Not allowing Kronik to stand up is absolutely hillarious though.

Sounds like a perfectly plausible marriage of Undertaker heavy handing with ludicrous dirtsheet embellishment, delivered with total conviction.

Well played.

Not seen this mentioned yet, but loved his exchange with Maven during the Rumble when Maven knocked him out the rumble and he battered Maven. Even to this day that moment felt more real than a work.

There's a chair shot after he's eliminated that genuinely looks like he wants to take his head off. The whole thing looks so brutal.

Archived