UFC 204: Bisping vs Hendo 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Nothing more to add regarding the main event really. Happy for Bisping that he could get the win at home.

Gutted for Pickett. When he beat Rivera in London he came out and said that he would've been happy to retire on that night if he'd lost. After his fight yesterday you could see in his eyes that he was back in that place. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear soon that he's called it a day or if he waits for the next London card and that's his swansong.

Moussasi is the sleeper at MW now, for me. Has anyone in the top 10 got better striking? I think he beats Bisping, Weidman and Rockhold based on current form. It's worth watching his post fight presser interview too - comes out of his shell and shows quite a funny side to his character.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've already said it earlier, but my opinion is exactly the same as David's. However, I think it's probably best to change 'championship caliber' to perhaps 'elite'? 

Bisping may be holding the title, but he's not an elite level fighter for me. His best weapons are footwork and cardio which says it all really.

He doesn't really hold anything in his arsenal that scare his opponents, and it's something that has always held him back against the best opposition.

Rockhold was a fluke, there's no doubt about that, but it was a glorious fluke and one that made me happy as a pig in shit. 

To reiterate what I said earlier, he gets mauled against the big 4 of the division 8 or 9 times out of ten, although I give him a better chance against Weidman considering Bisping's strong takedown defense. 

I'd compare Bisping to an MMA equivalent of Hatton (but with far more athleticism). Rightful World champion and you'd give them the advantage over the rest of the division, but you never really have confidence that the skills that got them where they are could ever make a dent against the elite 3/4 guys.

Incredible event in person though, thankfully the only bad fight on the card was the first one. Can't stand Mike Perry but Christ he put on a hell of a show - thought that was guaranteed FOTN before the main event had started.

Thankfully, didn't see any bother amongst the crowd - though plenty of drunken messes. Drink queues were mental all night, went for some water before the Leon Edwards fight and ended up watching that whole fight on my phone before being served.

• Paid Members

Yeah, from a live perspective a lot of people couldn't make it to the finish line. I went for a piss just before the main event and it was like Shaun of the Dead. Loads of people sitting or lying on the floor, their heads in their hands, and a couple of people drunkenly stumbling around, looking completely out of it. I didn't see any trouble though. And if you thought the queues for alcohol in the arena were bad, you should've seen the queue for McDonalds in Piccadilly Gardens after the show finished, waiting for it to open!

Yeah, from a live perspective a lot of people couldn't make it to the finish line. I went for a piss just before the main event and it was like Shaun of the Dead. Loads of people sitting or lying on the floor, their heads in their hands, and a couple of people drunkenly stumbling around, looking completely out of it. I didn't see any trouble though. And if you thought the queues for alcohol in the arena were bad, you should've seen the queue for McDonalds in Piccadilly Gardens after the show finished, waiting for it to open!

Amateurs. The one on Oxford Road is a 24 hour one. Good to know there wasn't any trouble though, or at least any major kick offs. I wonder if that would have been the case had Bisping lost.

I missed the Pickett fight while queuing for some water. The bartender was shite. He was struggling to undo the lids on the bottled water. 

Sure did enjoy myself though. The noise during Bisping/Hendo was unlike anything I've ever been involved in. I was surprised how many people left before the decision was announced.

• Paid Members

:thumbsup: he wasn't happy.

Alcantara's performance was probably the best of the night, he looked awesome. It was as close to a flawless performance as you could get. Glad they rightfully gave him a bonus.

The main event was a great watch. I can understand a few people's thoughts on here regarding Bisping struggling to beat an ancient Dan Henderson, but i feel that stylistically it was a good fight for Hendo. Bisping's not exactly explosive, Hendo negates any wrestling Bisping might want to try and despite being old Hendo's right hand still comes hard and heavy when he throws it. Also, Bisping was cruising until he got hit by that bomb of a right hand in round 1, that likely changed the course of the fight.

Score wise i had it a draw, there doesn't seem to be too much controversy over the scoring but i was glad Bisping held on to the title. I do think he loses the title next fight out though, that top 5 is a shark tank and i don't fancy Bisping's chances against any of them except for perhaps Romero. Still, it's been a hell of a ride and nights like Saturday remind me of why i love MMA.

I thought the whole show was good, Mousasi predictably whiped out Vitor, the Mike Perry train rolls on (good scrap that as well), Manuwa rebuilds, Struve looked better to me than he has in ages, Diakese seems an exciting new entrant at 155, good stuff.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Alcantara looked fantastic. I think he's been quite overlooked for a while but he never really had that standout performance. Seeing him breeze through Pickett like that, even though Pickett's on the way out, was impressive. The finish with him seamlessly stringing together submissions until he caught one was incredible as well.

Leon Edwards subbing Tumenov was the shocker of the night for me. Never expected Edwards to win that fight, much less stop him. That was a big win for him. Tumenov's granite and has beat some good fighters like Larkin and Jouban this year.

i was glad Bisping held on to the title. I do think he loses the title next fight out though, that top 5 is a shark tank and i don't fancy Bisping's chances against any of them except for perhaps Romero.

I dunno, I think Romero is one of the worst matchups out there for Bisping. He's got all the advantages you listed that Hendo had over Bisping, but with added ridiculous athleticism, some speed and awkward movement and unpredictability. I think him and Jacare might be the worst styles for Bisping to face. Rockhold and Weidman aren't much better and I could see Mousasi being a tough fight as well.

What did people make of Mousasi calling out Anderson Silva? I like it myself. He wants to stay active and Anderson's surely the biggest name in the division without a fight. Guess it depends on what Anderson wants to do though. At this stage Anderson's probably just after name fights. I'm not sure he'll see much upside in fighting Mousasi.

• Paid Members

yeah, im all for that. Mousasi seems to have some traction now, a big name like Silva will elevate him into that top 5 discussion where he deserves to be anyway.

As for for Romero/Bisping, it's just the 5 round thing is where i perhaps favour Bisping. Can't see Yoel being much cop down the stretch, if Bisping can survive 2 rounds i'd give him a shot.

• Paid Members

Absolutely no coverage of this event on the BBC site despite Bisping being a British world champion and the fight being held in Manchester. Yet they have the story about McGregor getting community service for throwing bottles on the Sport main page today.

It got relentless coverage the day before, during and after the event.

It was tweeted on their twitter account with links to their coverage over and over after Bisping won, more than any other story that day if I recall correctly. They also had their BBC 3 coverage of the event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/edhmbp/live/cr2mxj

Archived