Wrestlers sabotaging matches

Egg Shen

Dirt Bike Kid also comes to mind, unmasks himself during a MASKED tournament, no sells Sasuke, Sasuke nearly kills Dirty, Kid tries to shake Sasuke's hand... Utter train wreck!

Didn't another wrestler move out of the way when he was meant to catch Dirt Bike during a dive? Think he may have suffered an injury as a result.

Yeah, Karl Kramer. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread. Paul Roma vs Alex Wright is one of the best examples mentioned. This was the match I first thought about when I read the thread title. If I remember correctly, Roma was fired because of how weak he made Wright look. Shawn Michaels made fun of Hulk Hogan by over-selling in their match, but at least that made the match memorable.

Mick Foley vs Mil Mascaras? Not so much sabotaging but more clash of styles. Poor booking. If Mascaras was brought in as a special attraction, they should have booked him against someone who could do his style of match.

Regal vs Goldberg? Same. Clash of styles. Regal tried to work a technical match and gave Goldberg some opportunities to counter, but Goldberg was completely lost and did not have a clue how to reverse a single hold. If anything, this match exposed Goldberg's lack of technical skills and ability to work a match on the fly.

Both Dirtbike Kid (disrespectful) and Great Antonio (no-sold) sabotaged against Japanese main eventers. Although both matches are remembered for turning into shoots, sabotage was the reason for those matches turning into shoots.

• Paid Members

not exactly a sabotage of moves but Hogan - Rock at WM where Hogan just took the crowd away from Rocky and was over as anything for a heel

Yeah I wouldn't say a sabotage either, not from the wrestlers at least. Hogan did a steller job putting Rocky over there- especially at the end where he looked so old and helpless, clutching his ribs and holding out his hand. Great moment, especially when you compare it to the end of Mania 6 VS Ultimate Warrior. He didn't do a grand job of putting Woyah over after their match on that night.

• Moderators

It wasn't a case of being pissed off, it was more a case of making sure he was the thing everyone remembered and talked about when the match was over, making it his moment and not The Warrior's, so he sabotaged the reign from the get go really. Clever on his behalf.

• Paid Members

Both Dirtbike Kid (disrespectful) and Great Antonio (no-sold) sabotaged against Japanese main eventers. Although both matches are remembered for turning into shoots, sabotage was the reason for those matches turning into shoots.

Dirtbike Kid essentially tried to do the opposite, try and escalate the match above the opening round semi squash it was meant to be and make himself look as good as possible.

Unfortunately for him, Great Sasuke did not share his vision.

Great Antonio wasn't trying to deliberately have a bad match either. Inoki was in his "I'll wrestle legit guys to show how legit my worked wrestling is" phase and put himself against a guy that was legit strong but legit demented.

Antonio legit hurt Inoki from hitting him too hard, Inoki legit kicked his face off.

Legit shoot, but no sabotage in the sense of how HBK would purposefully spoil a match.

Found the Dirt Bike/Sasuke match, somebody posted an interview with Dirt Bike in the comments, trying to justify it all

• Paid Members

I think I've heard people mention Perfect v Luger at Mania 9. I don't know, but the rumour I've heard is Perfect sabotaged it to make Luger look like shite. Which I'm not quite getting cos literally have a passable match that made any sense and you got the best match on that card

In his 1993 KC timeline, Lex says that Perfect claimed to have forgotten the whole match just before it began. To this day he doesn't know if Henning was playing a rib or was serious. Mind you, Mr P had a few disappointing matches that year. Only the one vs Bret at King of the Ring do I remember as being pretty good.

I can see why Sasuke's was pissed off with Dirt Bike Kid after that. The match starts and Dirt Bike just hits move after move. No real cohesion behind it, just high spot after high spot like he's playing WWE 2k16 or whatever. I'd be a bit narked too. Was it too much? Probably but it's wrestling so apparently logic doesn't work. People have gotten worse for less, I suppose.

Brad Flash had one of these in WrestleMidlands according to his 2010 Shitlist write-up

EDIT - match is here although 'sabotage' might be a strong word considering the standard of the previous two minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH36EkqjNV4&feature=related

Another stroppy incident occurred in WrestleMidlands in a bout with Mikey Riot. Mikey made a tiny mistake at the start of the contest, which would have had no bearing on the rest of the match and forgotten about within seconds. Instead of getting on with it, Flash basically put himself down on the mat, and shouted "Just fucking pin me!!", proceeds to lose, and storms out.

Archived