'Interesting' subcultures

Social media might be what you make of it but there is a definite Tumblr stereotype people are most likely referring to when they mention it disparagingly. Highly sensitive to social justice topics, hobbies that dwell in fantasy realms, nerdy but image conscious and a high propensity for product fetishism. The spine of Tumblr is caked in saccharine with some other shit happening around it. You can't really boil down Twitter and Facebook nearly as easily.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats true I'm fairly familiar with the stereotype and criticism of the particularly more-moralistic-than-thou types and the fandom pillocks do my nut in 9 times out of 10, but in my experience the bloggers spreading around issues of social justice happen to be Actual people with a passion or concern on an issue/s, and I see a hell of a lot of people who obviously signed up to tumblr for totally reactionary reasons, cos they heard its the hangout of dem Ess Jay Dubs and they want a platform to express their bigotry to people who will get mad about it, getting some kinda mad ego kick out of it that I doubt some harrowed teenager reblogging Black Lives Matter posts gets

Edited by sj5522

I saw an account the other day that had thousands of tweets directed at woman asking if they'd like to be gunged in jeans for charity.

Yeah, I've seen that episode of Dave Gorman's Modern Life is Goodish too.

Never seen it, just the twitter account. Maybe that's why people were talking about it again though. But I remember seeing the same guy at it at least 3 years ago, so his quest for jeans gunging is pretty unrelenting.

Fair enough. Although that episode is already on the repeats loop on Dave, it's definitely not more than 3 years old. I guess mentioning all those other fetishes (plus your reputation) suggests original research. A recent book of his is full of a similar morbid fascination with the modern phenomenon of social media and its consequences.

He peaked early at 'Are You Dave Gorman?' and then sold out with 'Important Astrology Experiment' (whose title I had to look up – I only remember it as the one about horoscopes). The TV version of 'Genius' wasn't that great but his show on Dave is an enlightening way to pass a spare hour.

The other two Butch mentioned do seem to have disappeared, but a lot later than 15 years ago. I quite enjoyed 'How to Start You Own Country' and even School's Out. Well, a bit.

• Awards Moderator

Hawks has a new book out this month. Wallace never needs to do anything else after selling the script to Carrey vehicle Yes Man.

Won't hear a word against Gorman. Fricking clever guy, one of the best stand ups around.

I guess mentioning all those other fetishes (plus your reputation) suggests original research.

How very magnanimous of you.

Yeah but it was all on DVD and shit. Sell out.

I meant that 'Are You Dave Gorman?' was his own idea, whereas the Astrological Experiment was apparently just something the BBC asked him to do based on the success of the former.

How very magnanimous of you.

Yeah, I didn't phrase that well. All of us here know Woyz is exactly the kind of person who would've stumbled upon a gunging-in-jeans fetish independently of seeing it on a TV show. I think that's intended as a compliment?

• Paid Members

Not as obscure as most of this thread but I've always been fascinated by the bdsm scene. It's one of those things which has entered the main stream enough to be well known of but is still taboo enough to hold a certain mystery.

• Paid Members

I thought Googlewhack and America Unchanged were both far better than his Astrological Experiment.

Yeah, I loved that America Unchained thing. Googlewhack was really good, as was the other standup DVD he released a few years back (in fact I think I'm going to watch it again in a bit, there's bit on Alice Cooper/Ringo Starr and stage names which I love).

He still tours now. We went to see his 'Dave Gorman Gets Straight To The (Power) Point' show in 2013/14 I think and it was great. I was disappointed that it never got a DVD release because it's all a blur now and I can't remember most of it.

• Awards Moderator

He still tours now. We went to see his 'Dave Gorman Gets Straight To The (Power) Point' show in 2013/14 I think and it was great. I was disappointed that it never got a DVD release because it's all a blur now and I can't remember most of it.

While it didn't make it to DVD (think of the horrendous licensing costs!) the best skits made it to Modern Life Is Goodish which is on permanent Dave rotation.

I find the whole thing around people dressing as dolls rather unique. I remember watching a Channel 4 program (obviously) about guys who bought plastic/rubber 'doll' masks and would go out with other people dressed as dolls. I don't quite remember what the interest was but certainly interesting!

Also on the sex front I never really understood the whole 'getting smacked about in bed' thing that some guys like... 

Edited by Michael_3165