UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only advantage Punk might have is the experience of performing on a big stage, this obviously might be negated by the simple fact that this isn't pretend but I'm clutching at straws here.

I don't see it being a factor. That Gall lad looks like he's pretty well adjusted and confident in his abilities.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Do we reckon Punk comes out to 'Cult of Personality'? I think he does. I remember he was in the front row at whichever recent UFC was in Chicago (the Holm vs Shevchenko FOX card?) and after he appeared on screen and did the waving to camera bit, 'Cult of Personality' kicked in in the arena.

Remember when Chael Sonnen wanted Punk to walk him out for one of the Chicago shows he was fighting on a few years back? Why didn't they allow that, what's it matter? They let Nick Bastard Ring have Bret Hart walk him out on that shit PPV in Calgary.

• Paid Members

there was a reason why it wasn't allowed. Think Punk might have said why on one of those interviews he did with Helwani, i think it basically came down to the WWE not allowing it.

I'm actually really looking forward to the main event here. I know there's no such thing as a lucky punch, and to be fair it was a great punch landed while backing up, but I just don't see Miocic as someone who can successfully defend that belt. And I really like Overeem's redemption after those big KO losses.

I don't actually rate Miocic that highly. Two of his key victories have asterisks on them for me, the JDS fight- I just feel the wrong fighter was awarded the decision. And the Mark Hunt fight, he talks about a terrible weight cut for that one in his book and watching it back, Hunt was fucked, breathing heavy after a couple of minutes when he went 3 rounds with Ben Rothwell at altitude in Denver, and of course the 5 round classic in Brisbane with Bigfoot. (Side note, after the first Hunt vs. Bigfoot fight, I vowed to never again miss a east coast Australian UFC card again). But back to Miocic, yeah, he doesn't impress me that much. I don't have any dislike for him, seems like a bland personality apart from the time he yelled at Dana for a title shot. Just seems to benefit from heavyweight being a revolving door of champions and top contenders. And, unfairly, I hold the Stefan Struve KO against him- the only other people Struve has KOed in the UFC are scrubs (including a Bigfoot that should have retired as soon as TRT was taken away).

Me managing to talk about half the heavyweight division while slamming Miocic should indicate what I think will happen here- Reem by kicks and knees of doom, please and thank you.

• Paid Members

I don't actually rate Miocic that highly. Two of his key victories have asterisks on them for me, the JDS fight- I just feel the wrong fighter was awarded the decision.

I'm confused, Mr O'Mac Version 2. JDS got the decision that night.

I don't actually rate Miocic that highly. Two of his key victories have asterisks on them for me, the JDS fight- I just feel the wrong fighter was awarded the decision.

I'm confused, Mr O'Mac Version 2. JDS got the decision that night.

Got my wires crossed terribly with that one, didn't I? I must actually dislike him a good bit, inventing ways to discredit him that don't even work. Whoops.  :blush:

• Paid Members

Haha. It was a really close fight. I felt like JDS winning was the right call but there were a fair few crying robbery which I didn't get. I remember Noah Southworth (remember him?) on here being quite outraged at the decision, for example. I thought it was one of JDS's worst performances actually. He was coming off injuries and a year plus layoff after the brutal third Cain fight. He looked heavy, lethargic and far from sharp, and he still had enough to beat Miocic.

I don't see Miocic as some world beater either, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, he's very good. And he's improved over the last couple of years. His wins over Arlovski, Hunt and Werdum were good. But I don't see him being 'the man' at heavyweight like Cain was. I don't think he's that far improved from the man who got stopped by Struve in 2012. He's always dangerous though and one thing I like about him is he fights intelligently. He's not too proud to take the opponent down if he's struggling on the feet.

I think Overeem gets to him early though. You never know with heavyweights and Overeem's chin is still the x-factor here. But I think Overeem can blast him with enough shit early that it'll take Miocic out of the game for however long the rest of the fight lasts.

• Paid Members

That trailer looks brilliant. More than ever I can't understand how anyone can be annoyed or bothered by this Punk situation. We have about a million shows a year, and about a billion fights a year. Anything that gives one of those fight some type of context or story is a positive to me. I'd much rather have something like this, where I'm massively invested, taking up a spot on the card than anther random fight between two guys I've forgotten about before the decision is even announced.

• Paid Members

I'm not bothered or annoyed by the situation, I'm just at the point where I'm not that arsed anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm more arsed about this than I usually am about most prelims these days. But I've never been into Punk anyway and I think he seems a dick as a person, so he's not even someone I find it easy to root for. I just can't get massively excited about it.

It's better than 2014 but piles are better than 2014 was.

Archived