UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm hoping that alot of the Punk news is just people shitting on him for no reason and they made there decision back in 2014 that he was gonna be shit and are'nt gonna change it.

The camp news is hard to gauge cos who's leaking the news? is it his team mates?

I'm a big Punk fan so I hope he wins and any fight can go either way, I arrived in Orlando the day before the fight so looking forward to watching it live in a sports bar. Cant wait

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The rest of the PPVs this year should all be great from here on in, barring any unforeseen disaster.

UFC 202 has the big Diaz vs McGregor rematch. Plus a strong undercard with Glover vs Rumble, Cowboy vs Story etc. UFC 203 has Miocic vs Overeem and the whole CM Punk thing. UFC 204 with the Bisping vs Hendo rematch and Belfort vs Mousasi. Then UFC 205 is supposed to be the MSG show so you know they'll load that up. The rumours were Ronda Rousey would return at that show but we'll see. Then UFC 206 should be the December PPV and they always stack the fuck out of that.

As it stands the rest of 2016 should be incredible. Potential for Ronda Rousey, Nick Diaz and maybe even GSP returns could give the PPVs a boost. Then you've got a bunch of names trying to rebound like Lawler, Anderson, Holm, Tate, Rockhold, RDA etc. Lots of interesting stuff ahead.

• Paid Members

The only advantage Punk might have is the experience of performing on a big stage, this obviously might be negated by the simple fact that this isn't pretend but I'm clutching at straws here.

Still seems a bit mad that someone without any actual competitive fights in any discipline anywhere is fighting in the UFC, regardless of how many less experienced guys they're signing these days.

CB Dollaway is on a must win here, he has lost his last three now. Its crazy he has been with the UFC since 2008. Always just about doing enough to keep his job.

I remember when he got an invite to the huge Time Is Now press conference and he sat there in his ill fitting suit and no one asked him a question. Poor bloke. He is now a second fight on the fight pass prelims type guy.

• Paid Members

Still seems a bit mad that someone without any actual competitive fights in any discipline anywhere is fighting in the UFC, regardless of how many less experienced guys they're signing these days.

It is, isn't it? However I try to rationalise it, when you take the blinkers off and forget the business and hype side of everything, it's crackers. At the time they signed him, Punk had about as much martial arts experience as me. I might actually have had more, to be honest. I'd done boxing and Muay Thai for a few years on and off. Just training, never had the balls to actually fight. And I've dabbled in judo and done BJJ for a couple of years. And I'm not saying this to big myself up. I'm not very good at any of it, I just did it as more of a hobby type thing. I'm under no illusions, I'd get fucking murderised in the UFC or really, by any MMA fighter, male or female.

Obviously, Punk has a couple of years at Roufusport under his belt now so he's way surpassed whatever minuscule bit of experience I've got. But trying to put myself in his position, I really can't see how I'd be ready for the UFC after just under 2 years at a top gym now. And I'm younger and have no history of injuries. I think you'd have to be a really special, freakish type of athlete with a strong background in...something to handle that.

I don't think his experience in front of big crowds in WWE is going to make a blind bit of difference either. Because he's not going out there to wrestle with a guy who's working with him. He's going in there to fight. To me that's a bit like saying a fighter would be OK doing standup comedy or any form of public performance because they're used to being in front of a crowd. There's way more to it. Wrestling and MMA are both in front of a crowd but they're completely different challenges. Both are physically demanding and take a lot of skill, but one is a performance and the other is a fight.

I do wonder though if Roufusport haven't been a bit crafty here. Like the test fights thing that came out that Bisping talked about. I suppose it's possible that the Roufus gym leaked that themselves to get people writing him off and knowing it would trickle back to Gall's camp. Also, all these delays to the fight happening could've been by design, I guess, to buy him more time and get more training in. Who knows? It's probably nothing of the sort and Punk really is struggling but this stuff has gone on in the fight business forever and Duke Roufus has been around the block and knows all the tricks. I wouldn't put it past him.

The back surgery thing was legit though, wasn't it? Was it? I mean, he had surgery in what, February or March? And he's back for September. That seems quick for back surgery. But I'm no doctor, maybe it's enough time for the procedure he had.

Archived