The Gorilla

garynysmon

• Moderators

Vince was a great commentator until he became a parody of himself to be fair. My favourite commentator isn't Lance Russell though, it's Kal Rudman on the old Philly WWF house show cards. When I get home I'll upload some of him. He was no good but he was so damned fun. See also David Crockett although he is also responsible for one of the greatest calls ever - "The Russian Nightmare has come true".

Best commentary team ever - Lance Russell, Hayes and Garvin on Pro in 1990-91. Garvin is actually better than Hayes and Hayes is brilliant

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Solie, Russell and JR took up the crown from 81 all the way until 94. Then Dave's mates started taking over the awards (Styles, Tenay). Matt Striker is the biggest swore thumb entry you'll see. He won it in 2008. No idea how Monsoon won the 95 worst announcer. He was never on WWF back then. Only as Prez.

I watched the International Gladiators on youtube (its a mix of US and UK, with Fash and Adamle as the dream announce team) and Mike Adamle called Jet "THE JETTTTTTTERRRR!" He may have tried to be playful with the name, but I'm more on the side of "he's got that wrong as well, the thick cunt."

No idea how Monsoon won the 95 worst announcer. He was never on WWF back then. Only as Prez.

Monsoon called the first Raw in '95 with Shawn. It always looked shite on those early Raw episodes when they would be standing infront of the green screen at the start.

Monsoon and Heenan are my favourite commentary pairing ever.

Alfred Haynes was just the worst at everything.

Edit.

My favourite Vince moment was him not having a clue what The Jumping Bomb Angels names were at the 1988 Royal Rumble. Jesse was of course all over him.

No idea how Monsoon won the 95 worst announcer. He was never on WWF back then. Only as Prez.

Monsoon called the first Raw in '95 with Shawn. It always looked shite on those early Raw episodes when they would be standing infront of the green screen at the start.

He may also have been on Superstars or one of the C-shows that year, as I know he was still doing at least one of those while president.

Given how bad he was, yet how fond we are of him in a nostalgic way, are today's youngsters going to feel the same about Michael Cole in the future? What a harrowing thought. "I loved it when he use to say 'FOR THE WIN!' and how he used to invite us to use hashtags"

It's different now, because of the greater access to history and complaints -- and because of how little wrestling changes now. Most of us never heard about Gorilla being shit until years later, when we were already in (or past) the attitude era. That whole era where Gorilla commentated was antiquated, making it easier to enjoy again once we hit our nostalgia years.

Now, it's Michael Cole for years and years, wrestling doesn't change much, and any kid who has been a fan for two months has probably seen "Cole is shit JR was the best" type tweets and comments already. And if they haven't, they definitely will before Cole finishes.

• Paid Members

Gorilla was crap, but he was a perfect fit for the era. I wasn't a fan until 2000, but I love him because he's a bit shit but in an incredibly wonderful Hogan era WWF way where he just fits. If he was great at the job he wouldn't be as good somehow.

• Moderators

Solie, Russell and JR took up the crown from 81 all the way until 94. Then Dave's mates started taking over the awards (Styles, Tenay). Matt Striker is the biggest swore thumb entry you'll see. He won it in 2008. No idea how Monsoon won the 95 worst announcer. He was never on WWF back then. Only as Prez.

Favourite smark moment ever is Fin Martin giving MARK MADDEN his announcer of the half tear award in a summer 2000 issue of PS!

• Paid Members

Given how bad he was, yet how fond we are of him in a nostalgic way, are today's youngsters going to feel the same about Michael Cole in the future? What a harrowing thought. "I loved it when he use to say 'FOR THE WIN!' and how he used to invite us to use hashtags"

It's different now, because of the greater access to history and complaints -- and because of how little wrestling changes now. Most of us never heard about Gorilla being shit until years later, when we were already in (or past) the attitude era. That whole era where Gorilla commentated was antiquated, making it easier to enjoy again once we hit our nostalgia years.

Now, it's Michael Cole for years and years, wrestling doesn't change much, and any kid who has been a fan for two months has probably seen "Cole is shit JR was the best" type tweets and comments already. And if they haven't, they definitely will before Cole finishes.

And Cole isn't great either, of course.

Not as the presenter of Raw, he's exactly what they want and he's got it down. But as a commentator, he just lacks the warmth and the realism that Monsoon, McMahon and JR did. Everything sounds the same from Cole. Those guys added to everything but had a big match turbo boost that Cole just doesn't have.

In fairness to Cole, perhaps none of them would have been any good if their role was to be a parrot half the time.

Archived