Learning to Drive

WWFChilli

My wife takes her test on Friday this week and she was terrified when she started her lessons. Granted she's shitting herself now but mainly because she doesn't want to fail. Her confidence increased each week and I was taking her out in our car aswell as her weekly lessons to give her as much time on the road as possible and to practice things like bay parking. If you've got someone who can take you out in their car after a good few weeks of lessons and getting used to the basics with an instructor it'll help you massively.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife takes her test on Friday this week and she was terrified when she started her lessons. Granted she's shitting herself now but mainly because she doesn't want to fail. Her confidence increased each week and I was taking her out in our car aswell as her weekly lessons to give her as much time on the road as possible and to practice things like bay parking. If you've got someone who can take you out in their car after a good few weeks of lessons and getting used to the basics with an instructor it'll help you massively.

How'd the wife's test go cobra?

I passed my test last month and I'm going out to look at some cars for the first time tomorrow. Anyone got any tips for a first time car buyer/dealing with dealerships?

• Paid Members

Depends on the dealer set up, but in my experience, you're less likely to be successful knocking the price down and more likely to make a deal to pay the sticker price but get 'extras' included free of charge. Obviously make sure there ones you'd use like extended warranty, roadside cover, etc, and go in with a wish list of stuff you are looking for.

Also, don't be tempted to just try to get the best/most expensive car for your money, but take into account the running costs. We got a great price on a Mazda, which was a really good car for the money, put paid for it in the long run because the parts for repairs were so expensive.

• 1 month later...

How'd the wife's test go cobra?

Only just seen this. It didn't quite go to plan- she had no idea that she needed her driving licence and I'd forgotten she'd need it as my test was so long ago. Her instructor only asked for it after they got to the test centre and it turned out it was in my wallet all along and I was at work an hours drive away. They turned her away and she lost the test fee. She took it again two weeks ago though, remembered her licence this time, and passed with 6 minors.

• Paid Members

Don't be afraid to learn in an auto if you're having issues with manual. I was learning in manual for a year and I hated it; my concentration was all over place and multi lane roundabouts were horrifying. I switched to an auto in late July and it's bloody fantastic! Those issues are gone. Only failed my test in August because I drove in a bus lane, but I only had 5 minors. Next test is in a few weeks and I'm supremely confident.

• Paid Members

Passed on my third attempt. First time failed for speeding, coming back into a suburban area from the countryside, at about 55mph in a 30. That one's on me. Second time, the fool of a tester made me do a three point turn, in front of a school, at 9am. Got two thirds through it and then a woman in a people carrier decided she didn't want to wait anymore and shot out in front of me. Tester slapped on the breaks, then failed me. Fuck that woman. Ironically, the time I passed I ballsed up my parallel park, but because I was saying each step out loud as I did it, the tester said that I obviously understood the concept and passed me regardless. Tip there for you. My instructor and I then had a pint of milk each in celebration. She was an odd one.

Archived