Learning to Drive

WWFChilli

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never taken a lesson, due to the sole reason that I don't think I'd be very good at it. All I envision is losing concentration for a few seconds and something extremely bad happening.

In my younger days it wasn't an issue but I always said when my wife got pregnant I would learn in order to look after her and the kid.

Said child is now 14 months old and I'm looking more and more like a twat with each passing day.

I begin driving lessons next week. Help, god help. I'm absolutely terrified of it for some reason. I just fear panicking and wiping out people. Madness. Advice?

Are you doing an intensive course of some type? Or just standard lessons?

If you're just doing normal lessons week by week or what you choose, you're first lesson is going to be the absolute basics, so the chances of recreating Carmaggedon are pretty much nil. Chances are your first lesson will be learning what everything in the car is and you'll just get the car moving a few times to get down the concept of finding the biting point.

Just relax and remember that everyone has to start somewhere. Some pick it up dead quick, others need a little more but that doesn't mean that one is a better driver than the other

• Paid Members

Regardless of how scared you are, remember that your instructor has pedals themselves, so you should be fine with regards to crashing or taking anyone out!

I hated my driving lessons - I always felt so under pressure even though my instructor was lovely. Just make sure you are 100% aware of everything around you - don't zone out. 

Try not to worry. I was a hopeless learner, took me a lotta lessons, and when I passed second time I got 14 minor fails, one more and I would have been a full fail. But now been driving 15 years and I think I am a good driver. Never had any speeding points or caused any accidents ,and I think that comes down to it being a bit of a struggle at the start. Made me more aware and I will verge on the cautious side, but keeps me and others safe.

• Paid Members

I'm going to give you some sage words of wisdom from my instructor Bill Fricker, which will guarantee a first time pass:

"Mate, remember. Everyone else on the road is a fucking shit driver who will try and crash into you so that you fail your test".

"Have you ever had two girlfriends? Well, I have and it's a lot like the mirrors in your car. The middle mirror, is your main girlfriend. You look at her first. But your wing mirror see. She's your second girlfriend and you have to look at her too. But after you've looked after her, you got to look back at your main girlfriend again".

"Never forget the 'three F's' for women and rental cars mate. Find 'em, fuck 'em, forget 'em".

"Disabled drivers are generally pretty good because they have had a lot of practice driving their wheelchairs around".

• Paid Members

I had two or three lessons before stopping to wait for this insurance court thing to happen (which I'm still waiting to hear back about.) I wasn't great. But my instructor was a panicky motherfucker and that didn't help. I'm going to get back to it sometime soon and change instructors. I found even going at like 25mph distressing like, "shit this is fast."

Archived