The Most Useless Tag Team or Stable Ever?

Liam O'Rourke

Kronik ruled, also. Quality dying days WCW baddies. They were even kind of funny in their backstage segments. Giant, sleek APA.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say the Union were pretty useless as a stable. A stable with major stars at the time (Mankind, Shamrock, Test, Big Show) that was ultimately forgettable and didn't last the course at all. This could also apply to the Dudes with Attitude in 1990 NWA

I would say the Union were pretty useless as a stable. A stable with major stars at the time (Mankind, Shamrock, Test, Big Show) that was ultimately forgettable and didn't last the course at all. This could also apply to the Dudes with Attitude in 1990 NWA

The execution of the Truth Commission gimmick was naff, the idea was there though. The ring gear/outfits for a start were ridiculous (the names didn't help either), I don't understand why they didn't go with some sort of 'mercenary' style gear, similar to the Attitude era Boss Man/Shield stuff. Jackyl was originally meant to be wearing the same sort of getup as well until he apparently turned up to TV one day in the leather jacket, jeans and shades and went out there under his own volition and once Vince saw it he told him to bin off the army outfit. Could have done promos similar to the Wyatt stuff on location, at a compound with the Jackyl leading and brainwashing/preaching to them and stuff, I think a whole lot more could have been done with that but they just couldn't be bothered and it probably wasn't considered worth it back then. I always wondered whether ECW had any plans to pick up the Jackyl character, maybe under a different name or something, because when he first turned up as a commentator he was wearing the Jackyl outfit and the tinted shades and jewel on the forehead. I think it was only toward the end of '99 he turned into the Cyrus character, so he'd been around for about 6 to 8 months commentating and stuff.

• Moderators

Hovels and significant others are safe. I think that's the first unanimous decision isn't it? 

Old Man Jones is well wrong about the Magnificent Seven though, and '01 WCW. Mind, he's always wrong about Luger.

I'm not sure I'd go as far to say they were useless but I was never a fan of the Bushwackers. I know they come from a period of wrestling were a wrestler or tag team did not have to perform the most spectacular moves or have the greatest array of offence but for me the Bushwackers were pretty crappy in the ring. It's obvious fans back then loved them and they were over strong at one point with there licking and march to the ring but even as a kid I struggled to buy in to them.

• Paid Members

It really has to be The Corre, hasn't it? Most of the other shit factions named, you can find even a thin silver lining and justification for their existence, but I can't think of anything for The Corre.

The way I saw it, the New Nexus was the next logical step - the Nexus had already served its purpose, which was to give the fans a surprise flashpoint and stick a load of young guys in the limelight briefly, to show that "anything can happen in WWE". Those lads did pretty much everything they could at their level with the stable they had, so Creative just did the next thing they could with it, which was basically to turn it from an autonomous stable into a vehicle for Punk.

The Cabinet was actually perfect for what it was meant to do, i.e. get JBL established as an undeserving, chickenshit heel who was punching way above his weight, and to keep him around as champion long enough so that Cena would be ready to make the decisive step up to the main, in front of a crowd that would be braying for him to do it. That the Cabinet was made up completely of shite was a big part of the point of it, i.e. that not only was JBL undeserving, but also that his stable were a bunch of cowards who used gang tactics to take out legitimate main-eventers that everyone knew they couldn't beat in a fair fight.

The Union were less a stable and more a plot device for the main-eventers, I felt. In this regard, it did what it was supposed to.

The Truth Commission was a novel gimmick that was at least quite creative and intriguing, if not particularly well executed.

The Corre have absolutely none of this. It didn't really accomplish anything, there was nothing new about it, it had a shit name, nobody cared about anything it did, and even as a vehicle for Wade Barrett, it couldn't even get that done. The only way people (barely) remember it is to talk about how they'd forgotten it until someone else brought it back up.

Cosmic Wasteland.

Cody Rhodes/Stardust turned up one day with the Ascension then creative seemed to forget that they were a stable for weeks on end until again randomly throwing them together for another week, then forgetting all about it. They had end goal as a stable, no agenda, nothing.

Saddling Cody with the Stardust gimmick was bad enough but then having him lead the Ascension on top of it was a criminal way to use one of their best prospects.

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/rck6cq/SCG_Radio_92_-_The_Most_Useless_Tag_Team_or_Stable_Ever.mp3

Join us as we debate the Most Useless Tag Team or Stable Ever! Taking your nominations, we look at the utter dross that has stunk up rings, such as stables like The Cabinet, The League of Nations, The Million Dollar Corporation, S.E.X, The Truth Commission, D.O.A, The First Family, The Union, The Mean Street Posse, X-Factor and The No Limit Soldiers, and tag teams such as the Harris Boys, The Bolsheviks, The Bushwhackers, The New Blackjacks, The Young Stallions, Lo Down, The Brothers of Destruction and yes, Viscera and Charlie Haas. Listen in as we engage in a race to the bottom, and decide who deserves this thorny crown!

Archived