The Most Useless Tag Team or Stable Ever?

Liam O'Rourke

I can;t recall anything of note that they achieved as a group, aside from filling out the tedious 'gang war' storyline that WWE had had going in late 1997. Abysmal.

I must have been the only person to enjoy the gang wars stuff :(

It served a purpose and filled lower tier TV time and B-PPV match cards in an era where depth was rotten to the core, a lot of the stuff was still growing up and you couldn't exactly put Bret or Austin out every ten minutes. It didn't set the world alight but it's nowhere near as offensive as people made it out to be.

Plus Truth Commision fucking rule.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll share the hatred for the Million Dollar Corporation, it could've, should've been good having a stable managed by the Million Dollar Man who IMO could've been a heel manager as good as Booby Heenan, sadly by the time it rolled round Ted was even more cartoony and there wasn't much to choose from in the Federation to make his stable up.

In terms of tag teams - Techno Team 2000. Eric Watts and the other one - utter shite!

• Paid Members

Million Dollar Corp. get my vote if this is a WWF question but as it's industry wide, I'm going to have to go for the cheapest of all the cheap imitations - Sports Entertainment Xtreme. You have to spell Xtreme without an E on the front of course, because then the acronym is SEX. Get it? It's edgy. Like TNA, it appeals to the cool kids because it's a rude word. Or something.

So SEX is the worst nWo rip off imaginable. Headed by Vince Russo, because killing one company wasn't enough, and featuring such utter fucktards as the Harris Boys (if this is the only mention they get on this podcast, I'll buy Karl's beer for a month), Stone Cold Glenn Gilberti, Mike Sanders, that fat Elvis dude, Erik Watts for fuck sake and a handful of up and comers whose career's were set back ten years and a smaller handful of actual talents like the Road Dogg and Grandmaster Sexay who could give a fuck at this point because they were in TNA.

Not a chance in hell should Russo have been on TNA, let alone trying to recreate an angle everyone vividly rememembered but with talents who wouldn't get in the nWo B team's second reserve squad. And poor old AJ Styles played second fiddle to this shit. One and only redeeming feature was the one shots who came in during this stuff - notably Tony Schiavone.

Million Dollar Corp. get my vote if this is a WWF question but as it's industry wide, I'm going to have to go for the cheapest of all the cheap imitations - Sports Entertainment Xtreme. You have to spell Xtreme without an E on the front of course, because then the acronym is SEX. Get it? It's edgy. Like TNA, it appeals to the cool kids because it's a rude word. Or something.

So SEX is the worst nWo rip off imaginable. Headed by Vince Russo, because killing one company wasn't enough, and featuring such utter fucktards as the Harris Boys (if this is the only mention they get on this podcast, I'll buy Karl's beer for a month), Stone Cold Glenn Gilberti, Mike Sanders, that fat Elvis dude, Erik Watts for fuck sake and a handful of up and comers whose career's were set back ten years and a smaller handful of actual talents like the Road Dogg and Grandmaster Sexay who could give a fuck at this point because they were in TNA.

Not a chance in hell should Russo have been on TNA, let alone trying to recreate an angle everyone vividly rememembered but with talents who wouldn't get in the nWo B team's second reserve squad. And poor old AJ Styles played second fiddle to this shit. One and only redeeming feature was the one shots who came in during this stuff - notably Tony Schiavone.

Speaking of TNA nWo rip-offs, remember the Kings of Wrestling? Ah yes, Nash, Hall and... Jarrett. The company had not long come out of the weekly PPV stage and was starting to look really hot. Cue this for the main events, Nash couldn't have sounded less interested "so we're the Kings of Wrestling, and uh, we'll be uhh taking over I guess", THEN cue them turning what could/should have been THEIR break-out star, not from WWE, not from the indies, Monty Brown - was a hot face with a cracking promo on him, catchphrases, decent power-worker and a finisher that was over as hell. Him tearing down a main event heel faction is basic logic, instead they made the cunt turn heel on DDP for whatever barmy reason and align with the KoW and that was more or less that. 

• Awards Moderator

My first thought has to be The Cabinet. JBL and his cavalcade of useless nobodies: the Basham Brothers, Orlando FUCKING Jordan, Amy Weber, and ... was there another woman in there? Anyway, I'm sure they must have been the absolute worst but because everything they did was so utterly forgettable, I can't really remember.

So my nomination is for all those teams, especially in the early and mid-2000s, who were so blatantly two singles guys thrown together into a non-team because there was nothing for them to do, and that you could tell watching that the attitude was the lazy 'we've got nothing, so we'll just make you a tag team' that made the tag division so crap for most of that decade.

I make exceptions for the teams that managed to rise above that attitude - Guerrero & Tajiri, London & Kidman, Haas & Rico, Spike & Tazz etc. It's the ones where absolutely no effort has been put into making them look or feel like an actual team by anyone involved - no team name, no combined music or entrance, no matching or complementary gear, no double team moves, just no shits given at any stage. I'm thinking Carlito & Chris Masters, Billy Gunn & Hardcore Holly, Chief Morley and Lance Storm, Rene Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki, and so many more. Even The Show-Gunns had a team name, it's not hard for fuck's sake! And if a proper tag team ever managed to sneak past this barrier of shite, they'd inevitably do a break-up angle with them within months, or draft them to different shows for the hell of it.

I'm so pleased we've moved past that thinking to a time where there are actual teams in WWE again - I just hope this new draft doesn't make history repeat itself.

• Paid Members

See, I actually dont think the Harris Boys were that offensive - in SMW and ECW they had some decent brawls with the Heavenly Bodies and Public Enemy.

Plus, with their long hair they did look like they meant business. I wouldn't say they were 'useless' from at least a minor league promotion standpoint.

Somebody prod Butch...

• Paid Members

See, I actually dont think the Harris Boys were that offensive - in SMW and ECW they had some decent brawls with the Heavenly Bodies and Public Enemy.

Plus, with their long hair they did look like they meant business. I wouldn't say they were 'useless' from at least a minor league promotion standpoint.

Somebody prod Butch...

I've never seen somebody be so wrong.

There's some real lower card teams that were awful. Some have been mentioned like Well Dunn and Tekno Team 2000.

But there's always:

The Ding Dongs

The Master Blasters

The Super Destroyers

Disorderly Conduct

State Patrol

But I always couldn't stand The Bolsheviks. Volkoff's awful punches and kicks and Zhukov's giant head. Can't believe they put them over the Bulldogs when the Bulldogs were in their way out. Surely there was a better team to give that rub to. And why put Slick with them?

Spirit Squad - they were just bollocks

Not sure they were the most useless, thought they were good entertainment value myself. 

Nod also must go to X-Factor, who were almost as shit as their ITV namesake, - XPac, Albert and Justin Credible. Has there ever been WORSE entrance music in the history of the business, ever?

Say what you like about the stable, but how can you say the music is the worst ever? So not cool man.

Going to go with League of Nations. Four guys that were fairly over on their own but the crowd could not care less when they were out there together.

You know your foreign heel stable is failing when you have Wrestlemania in Texas and not a single USA chant could be found anywhere in that crowd...in TEXAS.

This one sticks out to me, as four decent individuals they were somehow made to look worse when put together, no chemistry, no unity, no reactions from the crowd. Nothing. 

I think they were only put together so they could fit onto the WrestleMania card. Awful decision. I actually think this one wins the discussion. 

Head Cheese - even though i loved the gimmick, Al Snow and Steve Blackman just couldn't do it for anyone. 

Fuck you!!!! Head Cheese had some really entertaining moments . . . sorry about the 'Fuck You!' that was uncalled for . . . 

Head Cheese - even though i loved the gimmick, Al Snow and Steve Blackman just couldn't do it for anyone.

Fuck you!!!! Head Cheese had some really entertaining moments . . . sorry about the 'Fuck You!' that was uncalled for . . .

16 years on and head cheese still remembered fondly, no place in a list like this

Archived