Help Tracking down results of British Wrestling event in 2001

Hail

s-l1600.jpg

Random i know, but i came across this poster on ebay and realised it was the same poster used to advertise a wrestling event i went to in 2001. It was in Belfast at the Maysfield Leisure Centre and thankfully, no it did not feature either that fake Undertaker nor "Kane" - in fact none of those pictured were there, i have no idea why this advertising was used! The weird thing is they had booked some great american indy talent for the event that would have sold the event to me way more, but i guess they figured plopping Kane and Taker on the poster at the height of wrestling fame might get the casuals in. ...would have loved to have seen Big Barbarian though...the poster seems to indicate it was an All Star Wrestling event. 

My only real memories of the event are being over the moon that Michael Modest and Christopher Daniels were there as i had seen them only months prior being beat up by Scott Steiner on Nitro (they were clearly "thrilled" when i brought this up and tried to sell me a glossy photo of Steiner trying to break their leg with a lead pipe #Merch). Daniels was super nice and had a great chat with me and my mates about taka michinoku's wonky tooth amongst other things, I still have the autographs. My only other lasting memory is my mate Sean totally crushing the "Ice Pick" Vic Capri (standing behind modest and daniels at the time) by asking "and so who are you?" - i think he'd just won the super 8 or some other prestigious indy tournament at the time so he was kind of considered a blue chipper at this point.

There was also an american indy wrestler who i remember them really hyping as some major champion they'd booked but my lasting memory of him was that his title was basically a toy WCW US championship. I think he won the rumble at the end aswell much to my chagrin. 

As for the british talent i don't really recall but from some digging on the internet there was an article in local newspaper that confirms the date as May 14th 2001 and that Jake "The Ripper" Damien fought Doug Williams - https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-74504036.html 

All in all it was a great night out to be honest and some quality wrestlers on show - i'm surprised in hindsight that ASW ran here as i always assumed they ran England only and don't recall them ever coming back over - at least not that i was aware.

Anyway, after much digging on the web for results to no avail, i was hoping either someone else was there and can remember at least some of the matches or other names that were on the card. If not - hey let's not waste a thread - post your 90's/Early 2000's british wrestling house show memories, was a great time for the indy scene in my opinion and love hearing peoples stories. 

• Paid Members

I'd say it's unlikely it was All Star, despite the poster. Irish Whip Wrestling definately had Mike Modest on shows but they weren't around in 2002 and doubt they'd have used that poster anyway.

It says ‘All Star Wrestling - Birkenhead, Merseyside’ at the top, and has an All-Star website address. Or were promoters putting others’ details on their posters back in 2001 or something?

It wasnt All Star.

If you use www.archive.org and enter a web address that can help. I know wrestlingobserver used to do 'international results' as did 1wrestling.com.

I seem to recall (freaky memory) reading about the cards and some had Modest v Doug and Daniels v Flatliner. It was a tour in Ireland but Im buggered if I can remember the name of the company.

I'd say it's unlikely it was All Star, despite the poster. Irish Whip Wrestling definately had Mike Modest on shows but they weren't around in 2002 and doubt they'd have used that poster anyway.

It says ‘All Star Wrestling - Birkenhead, Merseyside’ at the top, and has an All-Star website address. Or were promoters putting others’ details on their posters back in 2001 or something?

No, not putting other promotions details on their posters, but what I thought I said was quite clear, using a different promotions posters.  And that was quite common back then yes.  If all you wanted was a poster saying "live wrestling" why pay to design and print thousands of your own when you can buy (or steal) thousands that another promoter has spare.  It'd be much harder to get away with these days, but I'm sure it still happens.  I'm not sure if All Star ever ran Northern Ireland or not, but if they did they definately didn't have Mike Modest, Chris Daniels and Vic Capri on the shows.

It wasnt All Star.

If you use www.archive.org and enter a web address that can help. I know wrestlingobserver used to do 'international results' as did 1wrestling.com.

I seem to recall (freaky memory) reading about the cards and some had Modest v Doug and Daniels v Flatliner. It was a tour in Ireland but Im buggered if I can remember the name of the company.

Good shout. I tried 1wrestling and the observer which both had cached sites for around that time but didnt find mention. Tried the Big Time Wrestling site but it only started in 2002 so its not mentioned there either. I know we bought tickets from SS Moores sports shop in Belfast as it was advertised in the paper but both the shop and the paper (Newsletter) don't appear to have websites in 2001 - its crazy to think how little the web seemed to matter for major companies just 15 years ago, seems like everything is just a google search away these days by comparison. 

i didn't notice that web address at the top before, i was searching the wayback for the current ASW address but having checked the wayback i'm almost certain now this WAS an all-star event - http://web.archive.org/web/20010331141224/http://www.allstarwrestling.ndo.co.uk/as it states :

Giant Summer Spectacular

Top American Superstar lineup

VS

Best of British

Frustratingly there's no lineup on the site so i suppose "Top American Superstar Lineup" could equally mean Tatanka and Earthquake rather than Daniels and Modest - and the calendar of events goes from Jan to April and then the next stored calendar page from May 31st onwards - literally everything but the week rang i'm looking!!

I did however find mention ironically on UKFF in the Indy Wank thread - https://ukff.com/topic/130145-indy-wank-from-the-late-90searly-2000s/page-4

Anyone know Bring Back Minipops and whether he's still an active poster here?

i didn't notice that web address at the top before, i was searching the wayback for the current ASW address but having checked the wayback i'm almost certain now this WAS an all-star event - http://web.archive.org/web/20010331141224/http://www.allstarwrestling.ndo.co.uk/as it states :

Giant Summer Spectacular

Top American Superstar lineup

VS

Best of British

Frustratingly there's no lineup on the site so i suppose "Top American Superstar Lineup" could equally mean Tatanka and Earthquake rather than Daniels and Modest - and the calendar of events goes from Jan to April and then the next stored calendar page from May 31st onwards - literally everything but the week rang i'm looking!!

I'm sure Modest and Daniels have never worked for Brian Dixon. It might have been All Star under a different promoter - Orig Williams used to run All-Star-esque shows in Wales at one point. I know Scott Conway's Wrestling Alliance used Daniels on a show in Margate once as well as Earthquake etc, regularly so maybe it was him? Sadly, don't know what the wrestling alliance's website was though.

Have managed to find tour dates but not who ran them.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020924142312/http://doug-williams.co.uk/

Cheers for that Snitsky, i never thought about Doug's site - he has a report of the event listed in the reports section - 

14-05-01: Belfast, Northern Ireland

vs. Jake "The Ripper" Damien

Jake Damien pinned Doug Williams with a Huracanrana. 

All pages  © 1999 The Anarchist. Any problems? Contact the Webmaster.

Only mentions his match though - a loss to Jake Damien via huricanrana. A start anyway :)

Pretty sure I was at the Belfast show you are talking about but unfortunately not going to be any help with the card. Had gotten back into wrestling around Royal Rumble 99 and my parents must have bought me tickets for this. Thought at least either Underfaker or Kane had been there but maybe it is just vague memories of being disappointed that none of the people on the poster showed up.

Pretty sure I was at the Belfast show you are talking about but unfortunately not going to be any help with the card. Had gotten back into wrestling around Royal Rumble 99 and my parents must have bought me tickets for this. Thought at least either Underfaker or Kane had been there but maybe it is just vague memories of being disappointed that none of the people on the poster showed up.

Cheers Burchy, i was in my early teens at the time so clearly wasn't expecting Taker to rock up maysfield leisure centre lol but i do remember a lot of kids and their parents being bitterly disappointed. To make matters worse there was one competitor who came out to Limp bizkits Rollin', of course this was undertakers theme at the time as he was rocking the biker gimmick - so of course this caused a stampede of kids to rush to the barriers screaming "UNDERTAKER, its Undertaker!!" only for some generic indy guy to come out lol 

I was talking to my mate tonight who attended with me to see if he could remember any other wrestlers that were there but he named the same guys i did but did say there was a "Big Bearded Scottish Guy" - Drew McDonald maybe? and also there was a guy dressed like a soldier or at least had army trousers on who sat at the same merch stand as the other british wrestlers - any idea who this was? Did they have a fake sgt slaughter aswell? lol

I was talking to my mate tonight who attended with me to see if he could remember any other wrestlers that were there but he named the same guys i did but did say there was a "Big Bearded Scottish Guy" - Drew McDonald maybe? and also there was a guy dressed like a soldier or at least had army trousers on who sat at the same merch stand as the other british wrestlers - any idea who this was? Did they have a fake sgt slaughter aswell? lol

Jace the Ace used to wear combats for a time I think. Of course there was 'Soldier Boy' Steve Prince but I don't know if he was still wrestling at the time.

• Paid Members

Cheers Burchy, i was in my early teens at the time so clearly wasn't expecting Taker to rock up maysfield leisure centre lol but i do remember a lot of kids and their parents being bitterly disappointed. To make matters worse there was one competitor who came out to Limp bizkits Rollin', of course this was undertakers theme at the time as he was rocking the biker gimmick - so of course this caused a stampede of kids to rush to the barriers screaming "UNDERTAKER, its Undertaker!!" only for some generic indy guy to come out lol

I remember a tribute show from the time that had a "Corporal Punishment" gimmick.

This is a good idea for a thread, with the internet these days you can usually find most results but some shows have gone unnoticed.

For example I saw a show in Portsmouth with Billy Gunn and steel cage about 2010-11 (VPW I think was the promotion), can't find the results anywhere online.

Archived