UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Meltzer reckons this show did 1.65M buys, which makes it their most purchased PPV ever (100 did 1.6M).

It was actually ufc 196 (Mcgregor Diaz 1) that did 1.6m buys and also broke UFC 100's record of 1.5m.

Mcgregor really is a phenomenon. Diaz obviously has to receive props too as they really caught lightning in a bottle with the pair of them.

• Paid Members

Yeah, my bad. I misread the article on MMA Fighting (I thought 100 and Diaz/McGregor 1 did the same number).

You wonder if they can break their record again for the rubber match?

Pretty incredible run of buy rates McGregor is on. Since the Aldo fight he's handily drawn over 1M.

I have no idea what did what, Conar said his was the biggest but even if it sold less than 100, the PPVs are now $5 dearer, so 196 would have made more money and a much higher hate. Then you have people watching online, you can watch Fight Pass, Fox Sports Go (like Sky Sports Go) for the main prelims and then order it from the UFC online, those things wouldn't have been so easy in 2009 or whenever 100 was and the UFC don't have to pay the cable companies half.

202 went up against the Olympics, which says a lot, I thought it would hurt it but most of the popular sports had happened and they were nearly wrapping up the event for the next days closing ceremony.

I'm getting that he was utterly convinced McGregor had no chance, but acknowledged he had a perfect plan for victory and stuck to it. He was hoping for a barn burner and was personally disappointed he didn't get one. That's my take on it.

I assumed he had no chance because I bought into the notion that he was coming to throw down, the way that he's been doing since he arrived in the UFC, and the way that Diaz probably expected him to. If I'd thought for a second that he'd use a gamplan that he borrowed from Carlos Condit and later passed on to Alistair Overeem then I'd have thought differently.

I give him massive credit for fighting smart, massive credit. I'm actually glad to see that he's not buying into his own hype, and realises that keeping the on-screen chat that is designed to separate the marks from their money distinctly separate from what he actually does and thinks is the way to go.

He's went up in my estimation after that fight, but it doesn't stop me from being a bit disappointed when I was expecting a war. I guess his banter is so good that it actually had me sucked in as well to a degree!

So yeah, excellent gameplan, he went in, stayed on his toes, engaged as little as possible and escaped with the points win.

I simply couldn't see him being able to avoid Diaz for 25 minutes, but I was wrong. It doesn't happen often Keith, so let the lads have their moment  :smug:  

In fact, if you go through this thread in its entirety, the most mentioned person in it is McGregor.

The 2nd most mentioned person? Well, that's not for me to say really.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived