UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah. People go on about McGregor's conditioning and that, but what's also important to remember is that Nate ate McGregor's best shots for a round and a bit, walked through them and ended up winning. Against another fighter McGregor was probably winning by TKO in the first, but Nate has an incredible chin. We learned from the first fight that Nate can take McGregor's best and that McGregor got rocked badly when he caught Nate's baddest.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There seems to be a lot of discussion (rightly) about McGregor being more prepared this time round but none of this takes into account how little preparation Diaz had in the first fight. The fact Nate came in at the very last minute last time hasn't been mentioned much in the discussion which is a bit odd as that was the biggest thing I took away from the first outing.

I still think this fight is a close one but I think that a full camp Nate is going to be a far trickier prospect than many Connor fans are expecting.  

The reason why I'm not making much of it is due to a few reasons. Firstly Nate is rarely out of shape and whilst I'm not stupid enough to say he won't be coming in sharper, in terms of striking, he wasn't close to Mcgregor in that first fight, even though I thought Mcgregor himself was sloppy. Diaz has no kicks so it's boxing what he's bringing to the table.

Furthermore, just look at this guy!

Michael-Bisping-677316.jpg

I remember looking at the stats for outcomes of opponents stepping in on short notice and it was really surprising how many of those fighters won. Bisping himself said he felt fresher without the fatigue of a gruelling fight camp. 

I don't think Mcgregor wins by a straight knockout, but as mentioned earlier, similar to how he beat Siver.

• Paid Members

agree about the shape thing Lamby, Diaz may sharpen up but i just feel if McGregor can maintain a decent pace over 5 he can outland Diaz based on movement. The Diaz bro's do well when guys stand in close and trade with with them, a guy with superior footwork can give them trouble...and unless Diaz drops McGregor or there's some mental repeat of the first fight, i dont see Nate even attempting a takedown.

If it goes to a decision I can see it being razor close, possibly very controversial one way or the other. I think Conor will start strong again but more measured than last time. Then around round 3 he will slow down and Nate will out land him down the stretch. Then Conor gets the nod from the judges and the boo's ring out.

If it goes to a decision I can see it being razor close, possibly very controversial one way or the other. I think Conor will start strong again but more measured than last time. Then around round 3 he will slow down and Nate will out land him down the stretch. Then Conor gets the nod from the judges and the boo's ring out.

I said something familiar to my mate the other day, the hype will be so big and you have 2 loose canons. I can see 'something' happening that will be the talking point for all the wrong reasons.

• Paid Members

Fighters predict Diaz vs McGregor 2;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=vkSpjoGeCMo

Man, an 8+ minute video and not one person picked McGregor! Even his own teammate Neil Seery swerved making a prediction and fence sat.

It's undeniably a hard fight for McGregor but I still think he can win this rematch. I expected a lot more people would be picking Diaz this time but I didn't think it'd be this one sided. McGregor was battering him early on last time. After how the fight went in the second with him fading, yeah, I have my doubts he'll last again but it's not like he just got destroyed and didn't have any success in the first fight. There are tweaks he can make that he can improve on from the first fight. He'll never catch up to Nate's grappling, forget that. But if he's in better shape cardio-wise, trains specifically for Nate's style and body type this time, is less cocky in the fight (I think this is a big one, he seemed to expect to be able to blow Nate away with one shot after the Aldo KO) and, maybe the biggest one, is more patient, then it'll help. It's not like Nate's a takedown artist either. The fight only went to the ground last time because Nate hurt Conor on the feet. What if that just doesn't happen this time? If Conor is more selective with his striking offence and careful with his defence and Nate can't land that damaging blow to daze him, what happens then? Nate's never had a great takedown game and him being taller than Conor actually works against that.

It's a lot more of an interesting fight than people are making out IMO. Don't get me wrong, I totally get the arguments for Diaz winning again and I won't be surprised (motherfuckers) if it happens again. But the way some are completely dismissing Conor's chances this time is a bit silly, I think.

• Paid Members

This is still the same Nate Diaz who is 8-6 since 2010. People are overrating him I feel. Conor should be smart enough to fight his fight this time around, as long as he sticks to the game plan and controls himself he should win. If he gets emotional and starts trading shots he's going to either knacker himself out again or get dropped, but I'm hoping he won't. There's much more to gain from a McGregor victory here.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if Nate wins then Conor's going back down to 145 having been told 'CONOR, KNOW YOUR LIMITS!' by Nate Diaz and Chums. The Aldo unification rematch would be the only big fight on the immediate horizon for him then and it's a rematch of a 13 second knockout. Not ideal. As much as I want to see McGregor vs Aldo 2, not ideal.

If McGregor wins this rematch with Diaz though that opens up McGregor vs Diaz 3 which will be huge. Plus you've still got the Aldo rematch at 145. Possible fights at 155 and maybe even more fights at 170 (although I still think 170 is a step too far for him when it comes to the top welterweights). I'd still be well on board for that McGregor vs Cerrone fight at 170 though, for example.

So yeah, a McGregor win makes things more fun. If only for the rubber match with Diaz. Seems like ages since we had a proper good competitive trilogy.

• Paid Members

I watched that video earlier and it cemented the feeling I've had since the first fight. There is a really dismissive attitude to Conor as MMA fighter just because his not balls deep into wanksu. Joe Rogan is the worse for it and i don't mind Rogan usually. That's not just from that video but the vibe i've been seeing. 

I'd prefer Conor stopping Nate with strikes than finishing him with a omoplata just to fuck them off. 

I need to rewatch but wasn't the fight looking close to being over towards the end of the first round? I seem to remember thinking to myself another 30 seconds and McGregor would have won by stoppage?

I can't remember the last time I kept changing predictions in my head so much for a fight, almost every drive to work now I come up with a different scenario. Last week I was adamant Diaz had it but this morning I'm thinking McGregor, this fight can just go so many ways. The biggest question mark for me is what will Conner look like come the 4/5th rounds? He looked knackered at the end of the fight with Mendes and that was 2 rounds.

• Paid Members

Yeah, regardless of the weight class, McGregor has never gone into the championship rounds. He's never gone past three rounds and his longest fight was the Holloway one.

You just never know how a fighter's going to do in those 4th and 5th rounds until he's in there. Maybe him fading a bit in the Diaz fight was because he was carrying a bit too much muscle, maybe it was because he'd blown his wad and punched himself out in the first. Maybe a bit of both. He could be the same at 145 or 155 for all we know. He always said 'I can go all day, I never get tired' and stuff like that and I think people just bought into that. But everyone's got a limit to their cardio and conditioning and I don't care how hard you've worked in the gym, if you go in throwing 100% power shots trying to blow your opponent away in a round and he's still there after taking your best, you're probably going to start gassing. It happened to McGregor against Diaz, it happened to Carwin against Lesnar and it happened to Cardio Cain against Werdum.

Posted this in the Random Photos thread but might as well whack it in here as well.

Conor McGregor vs Cristiano Ronaldo;

xwmMg.jpg

Archived