All Purpose Weather Moaning Thread

Gus Mears

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Last night we had the craziest thunderstorm I’ve ever seen. It was about 45 minutes of constant non-stop rumbling and lightening flashes every 10 seconds or so. I’ve never experienced anything like it. 
You could apparently see it from 100 miles away. 

Are you based in the east of Scotland by any chance? We had that too, and I would agree, I’d never seen anything like it in this country. It was as terrifying as it was stunning.

• Awards Moderator
46 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Are you based in the east of Scotland by any chance? We had that too, and I would agree, I’d never seen anything like it in this country. It was as terrifying as it was stunning.

Us too, although I’d veer closer to terrifying. It lasted ages!

2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Us too, although I’d veer closer to terrifying. It lasted ages!

Oh don’t get me wrong, I was absolutely shitting it. I live in a top floor flat and I was seriously paranoid about our building getting struck, as silly as it sounds. Then I realised how fast the rain was falling and given how close I am, I realised the real danger for us at least was flooding in our car park. Thankfully for us, we were OK. I really feel for the people who were not, and frankly, the knock-on situation near Stonehaven has put all of my worries into perspective.

14 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

A tree was struck here this afternoon and on fire for a bit. All over local FB which is a private group unfortunately.

Bit mad, I've never seen that happen before where I live.

A house was struck near where I used to live in Falkirk, causing it to burn down. 

I hope the occupants are OK, certainly, j haven’t heard otherwise. But to lose your home after a lightning strike in the middle of an economy squeezing pandemic and Brexit is incredibly rough.

• Paid Members

The temperature drop has only just hit here in north London. Think/hope the thunderstorm's on the way too, sky's getting grey. Really need it to take the heaviness out of the air.

• 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

Wind’s a bit mad isn’t it? We got one of those plastic greenhouses for our veg only two days ago. Last night before bed, despite being pegged and bricked down it blew over and all our plants destroyed.

We put extra bricks down and left it til morning but it turns out morning is 3.30am when the dog woke us up because it had became airborne and flew over our house into the front garden. It wouldn’t fit through the front door so we were stood on the front dismantling it.

If this is as good as it gets then I might just stand outside and see if the wind takes me.