UFC on FOX: Holm vs Shevchenko - Jul 23rd

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I also forgot how out of shape Rousey looked. Granted, she got battered in the first, but her cardio was well suspect.

This is something which is not discussed enough. Ronda was clearly suffering from exhaustion that fight, in all the build up all she talked about was wanting to take a break after this fight (she said she was going to fight again at 200)., I think everything had become to much for her, bear in mind 3 years before she was struggling to pay her rent and now she was the biggest mma star on the planet. It was just one fight o many, it was like she wanted to clean out the division to set up a Cyborg fight at 200 (and then probably retire)

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Holm fight was only the second time in her career that Rousey has been taken out of the first round. It's hard to judge what her cardio was like on that night in comparison to normal because we'd basically never seen her cardio get tested.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

She did a McGregor and went full on in the first with the idea she'd get it done early doors. Of course, what she wasn't expecting (which is why I blame her coaches) was Holly being so good at countering and moving out of the way of someone charging forward with zero skill and intelligence, making Rousey look proper amateur. With all of that, she could only maintain such an approach for about half the first round before she looked proper knackered.

• Paid Members

She did a McGregor and went full on in the first with the idea she'd get it done early doors. Of course, what she wasn't expecting (which is why I blame her coaches) was Holly being so good at countering and moving out of the way of someone charging forward with zero skill and intelligence, making Rousey look proper amateur. With all of that, she could only maintain such an approach for about half the first round before she looked proper knackered.

I see where you're coming from CB, but Mcgregor was nothing like Rousey for me. There was no charging from Mcgregor, he just loaded up on too many shots. Mcgregor out struck and out landed Diaz and out moved him until he was fucked. 

He was just throwing shit too much and too much missed by being sloppy. Rousey on the other hand simply charged forward like a bull and got hit in the face repeatedly. 

• Paid Members

You're right and that wasn't what I was getting at, chief. McGregor clearly had a better first round and was bossing it before Nate caught him and his cardio gave out, but my point is purely on cardio rather than skill. They both approached it with the idea they were going 100% early doors, but once they couldn't end it after the first, both were pretty much buggered in the 2nd.

• Paid Members

there could be several factors that led to Ronda's loss, the main factor for me is that she simply had to deal with adversity and she could not adapt, she learned a lesson the hard way. The most worrying and disappointing thing about it all is how Ronda just disappeared from the public eye afterwards, she dealt with the loss in what appears to be the worst possible way.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think it was a mix of a lot of things.

Holm's style.

I know you were saying Holm could give her problems Ebb, and in hindsight it makes perfect sense, but I just didn't see it going in. Holm had looked very mediocre in her first two UFC fights and I didn't think she had the grappling or the power to keep Ronda at bay. She'd also not fought the level of opposition Ronda had and Ronda had still won her fights more impressively. I just didn't see Holm's counter style working with Ronda and I thought she'd get absolutely bulldozed. Looking back, I guess I'm guilty of drinking a bit of the Rousey Coolaid but I always knew Ronda would lose, I just never saw it being to Holly Holm.

Ronda's overconfidence/complacency.

I definitely think there was a bit of this. But I've seen people saying she 'chose' to stand with Holm. She really didn't. If you rewatch the fight, or any of Ronda's fights really, she gets that clinch sweet spot she likes by punching her way in. And she was trying to do that the same way with Holm as she did with her previous victims. Problem was Holm was way too experienced a striker to not exploit her coming in. Ronda wanted it on the ground but once her Plan A to get it on the ground failed, there was no Plan B. Which brings us to...

Ronda's piss poor corner.

Edmond Tarverdyan is a shitarse. I'm not saying he doesn't have some knowledge or whatever, but I think you have to judge a fighter's coach by how they handle things when it's all going tits up. It's all ice cream and cherries when your fighter's dominating. You don't have to do anything but say 'keep doing what you're doing'. It's when things are going wrong you see how good a coach is. And based on this fight, Edmond is as much use as a knitted condom. Just complete toilet water 'advice' in the corner. He was actually telling Ronda she was looking great after a disastrous first round. I get that some fighters need to be lied to to motivate them/keep them from losing their head. Nigel Benn's cornerman told him he had Gerald McClellan all fucked up after McClellan smashed Benn in the first round of their fight, and Benn came out like a madman in the 2nd. So I get it, telling her a white lie in itself isn't the problem I have. It's that he never had a Plan B. At all. If you're going to lie to your fighter, at least send them out with better tactics in the next round. He basically sent Ronda out for that second round for more punishment. So he's not just clueless, he's dangerous. Contrast this circus in Ronda's corner with Holm's corner. I've never liked Greg Jackson but credit due, he's an elite MMA coach. And between him and Mike Winkeljohn, Holm was getting clear, technical advice that she could actually apply when the next round started.

Ronda's distractions/schedule.

We were talking about Ronda's crazy schedule going in but we'd talked about that before other fights and she kept winning. Looking back on it now though, she seemed well frazzled in the run up to UFC 193. She was non-stop doing media, pissing about doing shit films and photoshoots and to top it off her personal life was dragged into it when it came out she was shagging Travis Browne. I wondered if it all might effect her but dismissed it. Then she was acting all weird at the weigh in where she got in Holm's face and was acting all offended when Holm retaliated. That whole thing was odd to me. People might say that Ronda always acts that way but that's a myth. She's only been like that when there's been a grudge with the opponent - Tate and Correia. With her other opponents like Zingano, McMann, Carmouche etc it was all business and actually respectful. Her acting overly aggressive with Holm was strange because there'd been no beef in the build up and, if anything, Holm couldn't have been nicer about Rousey in the media. I didn't think it at the time but in hindsight it does seem like a little tell tale sign that Rousey was rattled mentally coming in. Possibly as a result of having too much on her plate going into the fight. Which again leads me to the next point...

Ronda's conditioning.

A few people have mentioned it but I thought Ronda looked in the worst shape of her career in the Holm fight. She wasn't massively out of shape or anything but she was noticeably softer and seemed to be moving in slow motion. Again, this could've been partly down to other commitments meaning she wasn't training/dieting as she should. Maybe she was carrying an injury? Maybe she just got lazy? Fuck knows but she definitely didn't look to be in as good shape as she usually is on fight night.

And like Ebb's said there, the biggest worry since the loss is how she's reacted. Fair enough it was a bad loss. To suffer your first bubble bursting defeat in that way - getting dominated for a round then KO'd brutally by a headkick, in front of the biggest crowd in UFC history - it must be soul destroying. Especially when after the fight you're seeing celebratory tweets and photoshops of your 'KO face' everywhere you turn. But she's really seemed to take the loss harder than expected. Crying on the Ellen show and talking about feeling suicidal and stuff. It's been brutal. And she's barely talked about fighting again since really. The loss to Holm was what 8/9 months ago. I thought by now she'd be chomping at the bit to come back with a vengeance, but she just doesn't seem at the races. And if these recent pictures are to go by, she's got a fair bit of work to do even getting back into shape before even thinking of fighting...

r2AzK.jpg

kDSo1.jpg

Ronda Roundey.

Not massive but there's work to be done. She's probably going to need a training camp for her training camp. I'm actually half expecting her comeback to just never happen, to be honest. I know they're saying MSG in November but I can see it getting put off and put off and then one day Travis Browne will get her up the duff and that will be that.

• Paid Members

Ronda was simply too used to having things her own way, shes surrounded by yes men (including her corner), she believed she was untouchable and she was living the life of an A-lister. It's a terrible combination if you aint prepared to put the work in from the viewpoint of being a fighter. Not forgetting to mention that Ronda seems like a legit headcase.

I don't think she ever comes back.

• Paid Members

"It takes a lot of energy being a rockstar"...

what_a_face_joe_rogan_making_grimaces_at

Depends how life goes for her with her film career and kids etc. I guess.

What is interesting is the speculation a year ago that Rousey was probably only going to have a couple more fights before calling it a day.

Maybe its for a film role...doubtful though.

What is she filming atm ? I can't figure it out. Roadhouse remake still seems to be on hold. The one with Mark Walhberg seems on hold. Her IMDB has nothing 'filming or in production'. She does not seem in Hollywood shape. Its abit odd.

• Paid Members

Maybe its for a film role...doubtful though.

What is she filming atm ? I can't figure it out. Roadhouse remake still seems to be on hold. The one with Mark Walhberg seems on hold. Her IMDB has nothing 'filming or in production'. She does not seem in Hollywood shape. Its abit odd.

All the hype about her 'Hollywood career' was based on her role in Expendables 3 which was turd, as was she & a cameo in the Entourage movie which also tanked both critically & commercially. She was then cast in the Roadhouse remake that nobody wanted which quickly got put on hiatus as soon as Holm KO'd her.

The only people bigging up her burgeoning acting career were her fans & the UFC.

• Paid Members

Right after the Holm loss I suggested to a friend I work with that Ronda might just retire. She's got all these other opportunities to make money now, and her performance in that fight made it look like she'd need to take years off to ever catch up to Holly's skill level and ability to gameplan. He, having read Ronda's book, something I still haven't done, believed she was far too obsessive and competitive and that she'd be back within the year. I think the longer it takes for her to say anything, other than crying on Ellen, the more likely it is that my initial knee jerk reaction was correct. Everything she does suggests she's not coming back. It's probably for the best, anyway. I feel like her reign of dominance was partly due to her head-start in elite level combat sports, where the rest of her division was forever playing catch up. I worry that if she did come back she might discover that a lot of these women are now at a much higher level than they were when she left. I might even pick a handful of the top ten to beat her if she ever did make a return. Especially now the blueprint is there for all to follow.

Archived