Podcast/Interview Thread (MMA/Boxing etc) 🎧

Egg Shen

On 5/23/2018 at 12:51 AM, Marshmallo said:

Sticking my hard hat on as I say this, but I really like Brendan Schaub's MMA podcast. The guy who produces it and has some input is an absolutely massive wetwipe and Schaub's opinions are always OTT, but fundamentally he knows his stuff and pays due attention to stuff I'd consider important in MMA. Two hours a week seems about right for my tastes as well. 

I like Schaub too. Sure, he looks like Emre Can on steroids and comes across thick as fuck sometimes, but generally I think his enthusiasm is great and he is likable. I understand he's apparently said some controversial shit. 

• Paid Members

On 6/22/2018 at 5:40 AM, wandshogun09 said:

No. 

I don't hate on Schaub as much as some here but how Schaub has blagged his way onto Showtime Boxings panels is just baffling. Schaub's MMA knowledge is limited but he knows fuck all about boxing. Seating him next to someone like Paulie Malignaggi (who's an encyclepedia of knowledge) and having him try to keep uo is strange to watch, he's a total blagger. I'm not quite sure how he's getting away with it.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I think it's an American thing. I'm never really exposed to American sports panel shows other than when there's a big Boxing match or something. But for some reason it seems they love paying pundits who shout the loudest but know fuck all. You only have to look at those fucking morons that pollute their airwaves over there like Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith. They are fucking awful. They were particularly unbearable during the Mayweather vs Pacquiao buildup a few years back. All they do is take a side and shout and scream about why their guy is better. Oh and there was that black ex-NFL player whose name I can't remember*** who shitted up loads of the Mayweather-McGregor buildup. Just terrible, the lot of them. ESPN pay these guys, for fuck's sake. It's not like it's some shitty little upstart channel. There seems to be an apetite for that kind of sports 'punditry' in the States. So as clueless and crap as Schaub is, he actually probably ticks all the boxes for the US TV execs. 

*** Shannon Sharpe is his name. I'd never heard of him until the Mayweather vs McGregor hype picked up steam last summer but he was absolutely rotten. 

Edited by wandshogun09

There is a difference between Bayless and Schuab. Skip doesn't mean a lot of what he says. He's playing a character. He's essentially a pundit version of Chael Sonnen circa 2012. In contrast, Schaub isn't playing a character. I don't think he's a particularly nasty individual. I just think he is a buffoon who often speaks without engaging his brain first. The comment about FOX using black pundits being the best example. 

I get the point though. Schuab does fit the profile for what US executives want from a TV pundit. He's just not for me. I am not interested in what he has to say. But a lot of people seemingly are. 

• Paid Members

I think Schaubs TV show type stuff is pretty good, his interractions with Wilder, the Charlo's etc have been good, and i see the value of him in that capacity. Its just the analysis side that he sucks at.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah they're not the same shade of shite, Bayless and Schaub, but both are shite nonetheless. Wasn't comparing them in that sense, just highlighting the type of personality that tends to clog up that type of sports TV platform in the US. 

• Paid Members

Forrest Griffin talking about Dan Severn;

"Fat Freddie Mercury". 

Listening to this, I had to look up Severn's record again. He officially retired in 2013 with a 101-19-7 record. 127 fucking fights! It's weird because he was kind of the anti-Shogun. I always say Shogun can realistically lay claim to having both the best UFC fight ever (vs Dan Henderson) and the best Pride fight ever (vs Little Nog). Whether you agree or disagree I think most would say both those fights are in the discussion. With Severn, he has the dubious honour of arguably having the worst UFC fight ever (second fight vs Ken Shamrock) and the worst Pride fight ever (vs Kimo). But I love Dan Severn. When I hear the name Dan Severn my first thought isn't those stinkers against Kenny and Kimo. I think of him suplexing Anthony Macias all over the cage at UFC 4 and this bizarre moment from UFC 12...

It's great seeing him pop up occasionally at UFC events these days and going in the Hall Of Fame. There's something really charming about him. Griffin is right as well. For someone who had the number of fights Severn did, the fact that he's in such good form these days and doesn't appear to show any signs of slurred speech or mobility issues, it's nice to see. I guess that's largely down Severn's fighting style meaning he took less damage in his fights and also, despite fighting so long and to an advanced age, he was sensible about who he fought in later years. Wasn't like he was flying out to Japan to get killed by Horsemeat Era Overeem in DREAM and stuff. 

• Paid Members

Dan Severn had about a 100 terrible fights, never someone who was interested in entertaining the fans. I went through a bit of a phase of watching Severn fights years back and there wasnt much fun to be had.

I'll check that interview out. Hannibal has done shoot style interviews with a few MMA fighters recently.

Oh, New York Ric has joined Ariel on the ESPN show. In that case, fuck that little weasel.  Just read the synopsis of the MMA Hour and it looks a much-changed format, good move IMO.  No point in trying to mimick the Ariel show.  

Severn was always very pragmatic. I remember him admitting that Coleman was a horrible match-up up for him.

His pragmatism and his fighting style contributed to his longevity. In 127 fights, he was only stopped 3 times due to strikes. Two of those stoppages came in his final three fights. If you look at the fighters he fought after he left the UFC for the final time in 2000, you will not see many household names on the list. Even the names he did fight were either rookies when he fought them (Griffin, Sims, Eilers, Christison), journeyman/has-been (Fulton, Villareal, Worsham), or possible works (Legeno, Bonello, Rich). The best fighters he fought post-2000 were James Thompson and Seth Petruzelli. 

He also had enough name value from his early UFC run and WWF run where there was usually demand for him. It didn't matter to a local promoter that he was a boring fighter. His name value alone would have put additional butts in the seats. I can imagine he was easy for promoters to deal with as well. He doesn't strike me as someone who would be particularly unprofessional. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

In 127 fights, he was only stopped 3 times due to strikes.

thats an incredible stat.

im gonna have to break out the Past Fight Discussion thread and binge on some Severn.

• Paid Members

Ha, I never thought I'd say it but I'm on Team Hearn. I'm off to twitter to watch him tie Schaub in knots. Seriously, this twatflap needs to fuck off. Proper ideas above his station and thinks he's a way bigger deal than he is. This was the div talking like McGregor had "way more power" than Canelo and Judah and now he's telling one of the most successful Boxing promoters in the world about Boxing. Jesus wept.