UFC 201: Lawler vs Woodley

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

couple of quick bits:

* I had a feeling Woodley would win the fight early on points wise, and knowing the power he possesses i guess a KO was always possible, i just didn't see it happening. Lawler was probably a little too patient, he was waiting for Woodley to initiate and he paid for it.

* So glad i read some previews beforehand as my Karolina pick won me some cash. Good scrap, Rose just lacks any kind of power standing to do damage, she was winning early but Karolina would just walk into that clinch and do serious damage with the knees. Not sure how one judge scored it for Rose.

* Jake Ellenburger winning is the perfect example of why you can never count anyone out in MMA. Crazy. Matt Browns biggest weakness is his body though, im sure hes been dropped several times from body strikes before.

* Freddy Serrano is just weird as fuck. You could feel Joe Rogan's disdain coming through on commntary, i thought he deserved the nod though.

* Nikita Krylov's KO of Ed Herman was a beauty. Krylov might turn out an unlikely sleeper at 205.

* Is it true that Wilson Reis won then called out Uncle Creepy? what are you doing Wilson?

• Paid Members

Nah, you're all crazy. Lawler beats him easily for me.

Based solely on Embedded, I think Rose convincing wins too. Seems too focused and determined to slip up.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

So that's 7 title changes in 7 months. This one felt a bit different to me. It's almost now like upsets are happening so often that they're no longer upsets. In a weird way it almost takes away from the champion a bit because it's sort of like the champion is just another guy in the top 10 that happens to have won his last fight against the person that held the belt. Does that make sense?

Mighty Mouse and Joanna are the only really truly dominant champions left for me. They're the only fighters that convincingly look better than everyone else in their division.

• Paid Members

That's the thing. It's not like Lawler was dominating his fights before this. Although he'd been a really good champion and had defended his belt a few times, he always seemed to hold onto it by the skin of his balls. The fights were great but he nearly lost every one of his title defences in one way or another.

I don't think this was that big an upset to be honest. It wasn't really expected but everyone knew that if Woodley was going to win, this was how it'd happen. Early and violently. It wasn't like a Bisping scoring a first round KO over Rockhold type of shock. It was just seeing Lawler put out inside a round like that that was jarring because we'd never seen it before. Well, unless you're going all the way back to Diaz knocking him out in 2004.

Benoit v Serrano was a great watch, it was like watching 2 amateurs at times but entertaining none the less. Benoit is such an unlikeable guy, he could be a big name in the future. Also really liked how he name dropped Ricky Lundell. He follows me on Instragram and we regularly discuss Womens MMA.

Fun show I thought, was shocked at the results of the 2 mains. Such a pity Lawler has lost the title, it was fun having a old school marque fighter as champ

• Paid Members

Benoit v Serrano was a great watch, it was like watching 2 amateurs at times but entertaining none the less. Benoit is such an unlikeable guy, he could be a big name in the future. Also really liked how he name dropped Ricky Lundell. He follows me on Instragram and we regularly discuss Womens MMA.

Fun show I thought, was shocked at the results of the 2 mains. Such a pity Lawler has lost the title, it was fun having a old school marque fighter as champ

agree about Serrano/Benoit. I'd much rather see a fight like that than two bog standard kickboxers trading for 3 rounds. Serrano is one of those stupidly athletic guys who hasn't learned how to put his techniques together yet.

• Paid Members

I'm glad I changed my prediction to a Woodley KO the day before the fight. Initially I had it by decision and then I changed it thinking that there's no way the fight was going 5 and that Lawler had just taken far too much damage in his previous fights.

Woodley also seemed so focused during his media interviews and Helwani interestingly before the fight said he got the same vibe that he got from Eddie Alvarez before he won the title.

I think Lawler deserves so much credit for a memorable reign. Absolutely punishing it was and also probably one of the most entertaining reigns in mma history.

One thing I noticed was that Lawler looked physically a lot smaller than he did in his previous fights. Whether that was USADA'so doing who knows?

Really enjoyed this show and all the fights apart from the main event, which deeply saddened me, so much so I can only now bring myself to write about it. 

I'm all for a new champion calling out GSP and the big money fighters but this is Tyrone Woodley. Just feed him to Wonderboy and we can all get on with enjoying the Welterweight division again. 

• Paid Members

You know that thing where people go 'Tyron Woodley is explosive early but fades as the fight goes on'?

Well, it's racist. According to Woodley.

Here a clip of him on the Matt Serra and Jim Norton podcast before UFC 201;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=eORFz-d_uME

Fucking ridiculous use of the race card there. The stupid thing is, I do actually think the 'Woodley fades' thing is a bit overdone. Yeah, he doesn't seem as dangerous as the fight goes on but I've never noticed him gas badly in fights. Not as bad as people make out anyway. So I understand why he might be sick of that particular criticism. But to try to attach racism to it is pathetic. At one point he even reels off a bunch of names of black sportsman and says 'you never heard that criticism about Mike Tyson or Walter Payton' etc which, doesn't that go against his whole argument? Surely if it was a race thing they'd have got the same thing.

• Paid Members

yeh, i'll admit i was on the Woodley-fades bandwagon, im not really sure why either, it's just one of those weird things attached to him.

There's been a few interesting things noted before and after the win about how people are completely underestimating how good a champion Woodley can be for the UFC. Not just in terms of fighting but his personality, he's a bit of a shit talker, he looks a million bucks, he's been in movies, he's good that good role model thing everyone likes to mention. For whatever reason he's one of those guys that the fans ain't latched onto.

• Paid Members

Hendo's a funny one. For a while in his Pride days people started calling him 'Decision Dan' because he had a bunch of fights go the distance and a few were questionably scored in his favour - I'm thinking Bustamante, Kondo and maybe Misaki.

But he has had some of the most dramatic finishes over the years. The Bisping KO is the biggie. That one is about as close to iconic as any KO in MMA history will ever get. But also the under the armpit uppercut that put Fedor away, the KO punch into slam on Shungo Oyama, the destruction of Shogun's nose in their rematch, the punch on the ground that knocked Renzo dead, and of course the double whammy of the unexpected Hendo headkick + unexpected Hendo back elbow on Hector Lombard this year. And I've still probably missed one or two good ones out.

Edit - of course, I missed out his left hook KO on Wanderlei Silva. Ending Wandy's 6 year title reign. I must've blocked that one out for some reason ;)

Archived