UFC 201: Lawler vs Woodley

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What's the crack with Serrano? 36 years old and only 3-0, he was just 1-0 when he got in the UFC. Bit of a weird signing in hindsight, an MMA rookie in his mid 30s.

Predictions wise I'm having...

Lawler KO/TKO, round 3 or 4.

Kowalkiewicz by decision.

Brown by KO/TKO, round 2.

What a year 2016 has been for the UFC.

Woodley couldn't have had a more perfect fight. I'm gutted though because it killed an amazing Lawler vs. Wonderboy title fight, and I wanted to Lawler continue this run of crazy wars forever. And regardless of how the fight turned out, I still don't think Woodley deserved to leapfrog Wonderboy after 18 months on the shelf. Hopefully, Woodley fights more often now that he got what he waited for.

Crazy stuff from Ellenberger too. Big night for the underdogs.

That was just, somehow....obvious?

Given the year the UFC have had, and the way Lawler peaks late and Woodley starts strong, I just didn't find that at all surprising.

Though, fuck me, we have some strange champions at the minute.

Sad to see Tyron 'Hector Lombard? Nah, fuck that' Woodley be the one to topple Robbie. I hope Wonderboy kicks his head in to 2026.

I laughed at Tyron having his old dear in the cage. She was having the time of her life.

• Paid Members

Sadly, but also gladly, I had the main event result spoiled this morning. Softened the impact somewhat, but still a shitty way to start a Sunday. Lawler always has a pretty awful start and, as expected, if Woodley was winning it was early doors. Can't fuck with that punch, though, proper on point. Sad to see Lawler lose his belt like that and so quickly, but tis what we watch this stuff for. 

Naturally, I'm blaming herbie for forgetting this is MMA and putting the jinx on poor Lawler. Never ever forget, Bisping's Law!

#BROKEN ColinBollocks.

• Paid Members

Naturally, I'm blaming herbie for forgetting this is MMA and putting the jinx on poor Lawler. Never ever forget, Bisping's Law!

#BROKEN ColinBollocks.

I knew what I was at. I've gotten every result wrong for the last year, so figured I'd go all in....

Hope Wonderboy smashes Woodley before USADA get him.

Well I'm glad I didn't stick any money on Lawler even being confident he'd win. Woodley has ridiculous power, not that we didn't already know that, it's just been further confirmed. Fair play to him, stepped up and took home the gold when the opportunity came a calling. Lawlers team looked extremely confident and relaxed during the names being read to.

• Paid Members

I'll say it, that was a more entertaining show than 200.

But for fuck's sake. Tyron Woodley the cunt. That was the only thing I hated about the show. I didn't really think it would happen but I always knew the possibility was on the cards early in the fight. The Lawler slow start + Woodley's power + Woodley being a fast starter...we were saying it could happen and unfortunately it did.

I laughed at Tyron having his old dear in the cage. She was having the time of her life.

Woodley's old lady is brilliant. I remember her at a few of his Strikeforce fights. Tyron being such a charisma vacuum, he should take her everywhere with him, Mama Benjamin style, and let her do all his talking for him. Start calling himself 'The World's Most Dangerous Mama's Boy' and adopt/steal Ernest 'The Cat' Miller's old catchphrase - "Somebody betta call my Mama!". She's quality, like a real life character lifted straight from Sherman Klump's dinner table in The Nutty Professor.

Gutted. Woodley vs Wonderboy it is then. And when's Nick Diaz's suspension up again? Because if there's one silver lining to this result, it's that it clears the way for Lawler vs Diaz 2.

Thought Kowalkiewicz vs Namajunas was an excellent fight and I agreed with the decision. Thought that was the best Kowalkiewicz has looked so far. I don't see her beating Jedrzejczyk but I do like the fight a lot more after watching last night's fight. I thought after Jedrzejczyk went 2-0 over Claudia Gadelha that there were no interesting challengers left for her in the immediate future but I'm really looking forward to the all Polish title fight of JJ vs KK now. But yeah, this was my FOTN. Non-stop from bell-to-bell and never a dull moment. Namajunas just has that style where it's hard to have a boring fight with her in there.

Ellenberger vs Brown didn't go at all how I expected but, like with Woodley, we shouldn't be too surprised. Ellenberger has always had that power. Even though he's been in a massive slump recently, that power is always in there. I'm not sure Brown ever really recovered from that big right hand that dropped in seconds into the fight, to be honest. That was a hell of a shot. I'm surprised he survived that at all. It nearly knocked his shit Mohawk into the 18th row. That body kick was brutal stuff. Anyone fighting Matt Brown should be drilling the fuck out of body kicks. It's been a chink in his armour for years. Erick Silva nearly stopped him with a body kick, and Lawler hurt him with a few I think as well. Kings MMA and Rafael Cordeiro clearly did their homework.

I really enjoyed Perez vs Rivera as well. Perez fought a much more tactical and patient fight than I expected. Rivera just couldn't figure him out or get his timing down at all. I think Rivera might've had a leg injury of some sort as well, either from Perez's leg kicks or he came in with it, because he seemed to be moving really awkwardly at times to me. Like he couldn't post off it properly. The start of round three was just batshit insanity! Luckily for both, hardly anything landed in that 20 seconds of fury, because the haymakers they were throwing were ridiculous. Perez wisely went back to the gameplan. I hope they keep Rivera around.

I quite like this Fredy Serrano. Unique style and seems a bit of a weird little bastard. He reminds me a bit of a midget version of Yoel Romero.

Nikita Krylov's headkick!!. Jesus Fucking Christ. That was one of those moments when I genuinely thought we might be seeing the first death in the octagon. The way Herman went down he just looked like he'd left this life. Got to be up there for Knockout Of The Year. Krylov's no world beater but he's been pretty fun to watch lately.

Thought Masvidal vs Pearson was decent. No idea how Pearson got through that knockdown. The quick finishes for Wilson Reis and Anthony Hamilton were a nice way to kick the night off as well. Reis just made his case for the shot at Mighty Mouse that bit stronger. Yeah, Sandoval's not a big win but Reis looked impressive and he was already supposed to be getting the shot on this very show, so it makes sense to book that now, providing DJ is healthy.

So a really fun show, with a really deflating ending. Like someone else said though, 2016 is the year of the underdogs. Not since 2007 has there been a year in MMA with so many nutty results.

• Paid Members

Woodley is calling for a fight with Nick Diaz at UFC 202.

"I think Nick Diaz comes off suspension in two days," Woodley said. "I would love to fight him on 202. I know his brother is fighting. I think he deserves it. He's a guy that's been around the sport. He's put a lot of butts in the seats, sold a lot of pay-per-views. So why not put him on a big card with Conor and his brother? I know he's training already."

I'd love to see Nick on 202 along with Nate vs Conor 2. But I don't really want to see him get a title shot after how long he's been out/coming off losses. I'd much rather see Woodley vs Wonderboy for the title and Lawler vs Diaz 2.

Really doesn't sound like Woodley wants to fight Wonderboy though. He's suggesting either Nick Diaz or GSP as his first defence. I can't blame him being after the big paydays and usually I'm all for fighters calling out specific guys. But when you're the champion, especially when you've only just won the belt, I don't think you should get to choose your challengers. The champ is the only fighter in the division who I think should just 'fight whoever the UFC puts in front of them'.

Archived