Pokémon Go!

PunkStep

• Paid Members

Pokemon Go launched today on Android & iOS. Not officially in the UK, but it's obviously dead easy to get the apk file.

I haven't played it that much yet as I'm working from home today, but I caught a Zubat whilst sitting on the loo and when I went for a walk outside (it's augmented reality and uses local maps), the local community centre is a Pokemon Gym on my map and I can battle using the Pokemon I've caught!

This game is going to be the end of me. If it's picking up all kinds of local points of interest where I live, it's going to be mental when I go into work (City, London) tomorrow. I hope the Gherkin is a real badass gym.

• Paid Members

I don't know about iOS as I'm on Android,but it was a doddle for me. I just searched for Pokemon Go in Google and one of the first results was the apk file. I just downloaded it, it gave me the option to open once downloaded and then it installed the app instantly.

• Paid Members

There's a Kotaku article which gives you the link if that helps.

It really is great isn't it.

I've managed to catch a Pidgey and Ratata from my desk. I can see on the map that there are two gyms down the high street of the town I work in - one gold and one silver, not sure what that means, I can only assume level of difficulty. There is also a "Pokémon Stop" nearby but I cant get close enough at the moment to find out what that does.

I'm off for a walk along the canal tonight to see if a Gyarados pops up

• Paid Members

Yes, there are a few Pokemon stops nearby but likewise I haven't got close enough to see what they're about yet. One is the church attached to my son's preschool and another is the pub round the corner.

• Paid Members

Got it. It was just a case of changing my region settings on my iPhone and making a new, US based Apple ID.

Caught a couple on the way from work to the bus stop. Wonder what pokemons I catch in Asia.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Just found a Pokémon Stop and when you click on it you get some Pokeballs and other goodies! Its now purple on my map, so im guessing you can only use / find each stop once

Man, where I work it's mental around here- it's PokeStop city!! I can't move for finding little blue landmarks. I have Pokeballs (and the odd egg) coming out of my ears. Taking the train in was fun- when it slowed down, I could get some different Pokemon to those that are near where I live- such as a Krabbey and Drowzee. Tried to catch a Poliwag when the train sped past a lake, but I lose connection. Have seen the odd Squirtle and Pikachu appear on my 'nearby' list but I couldn't get to them.

After my wife went to work last night and the kids were in bed, I noticed a large unidentified bird was a short walk away (three footsteps on the 'nearby' chart). What if it was a legendary bird? I really wanted to find out and catch it, but I wasn't prepared to do a Kate & Gerry McCann. Hopefully it was just a fucking Fearow.