The "Jon Jones gone screwed up again" thread

ColinBollocks

27 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

At least you're learning the power of brevity, David. Ha.

Anyway, Jones posted on twitter

"Dude the truth is I would never do steroids, I put that on my children and I put that on my Heavenly Father"

Children and God. Aw shit.

Yeah, I have absolutely no doubt that Jones knew what he was doing this time around. That can't be disputed, as this particular drug isn't the kind that you find trace elements of in supplements and so on. To have this in your system you actively need to be taking it.

• Paid Members

Not to drag this directly back to everything that has been discussed this past few pages, but what do people feel is to blame for the seemingly high drug test failures in the UFC as compared to some other fight leagues/sports/organisations etc?

Is it that the USADA testing is better than that being used in other sports/companies? 

Is the sport just that rampant with PED use?

Does the amount of weight cutting somehow play a part? For example, would certain drugs that may not show up in your system throughout camp, normally due to masking agents or timing of the usage, suddenly start to get harder to mask around weigh-ins due to dehydration?

I heard Luke Thomas earlier on the MMA Beat mention an article in The Guardian about a 2011 study conducted by WADA. This study claims to have been conducted anonymously. In it, it states that of the athletes tested that year by WADA, 4% were found to fail a test. When the athletes were polled secretly, 57% actually admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs at the time. 

I've long found it difficult to balance my feelings on PED usage, as I feel in my personal opinion that the level of drug use in professional sports is extremely high, and I also think way more people get away with taking things than get caught for doing so. However I've often wondered to what degrees sports may vary in this regard, and the reasons why. Football for instance - does it have the worst drug testing system known to man, is it the cleanest major sport out there, or do the athletes feel that there is no need for the PED's as compard with other sports?

Edited by WeeAl

Not to drag this directly back to everything that has been discussed this past few pages, but what do people feel is to blame for the seemingly high drug test failures in the UFC as compared to some other fight leagues/sports/organisations etc?

Is it that the USADA testing is better than that being used in other sports/companies? 

Is the sport just that rampant with PED use?

If you look on the USADA website on any given day you'll see loads of athletes from all different sports who've been popped for something. We only notice how many UFC fighters have been hammered because we take an active interest in it.

Does the amount of weight cutting somehow play a part? For example, would certain drugs that may not show up in your system throughout camp, normally due to masking agents or timing of the usage, suddenly start to get harder to mask around weigh-ins due to dehydration?

Almost definitely weight cutting plays a part, but not so much in the way you mention.

Fighters are feeling that they have to take PED's to assist in weight cutting for one reason or another, especially with the removal of IV from legal use. It's all too easy to say "fight at a weight you can make", but when you're talking about weight divisions that are 15lbs - 20lbs apart you're asking guys to make a big jump.

For example, a guy who finds it hard to make 155lbs but could make 162lbs makes the jump to 170lbs, but finds himself coming in on fight night at 172lbs against guys who can just about cut down to 170lbs but who come in on fight night upwards of 180lbs or so. It's crazy, and it's no wonder fighters aren't keen on it.

I know it dilutes the titles a bit, but weight classes need to be closer together for safety reasons. There shouldn't be a jump from 155lbs to 170lbs, it should be 155lbs to something like 162lbs.

If they introduce more staggered weight classes you'll see less guys using PED's for weight control and weight cutting, which is where the majority of PED use is when it comes to MMA.

• Paid Members

One thing I've often wondered about is why WW is at 170, when every other division is at "--5" - seems a bit of an irregular jump. To get into the WW division, you have to either drop or gain 15lbs, whereas everyone else (except HW) has to gain or lose 10lbs.

105 - AW

115 - SW

125 - FLW

135 - BW

145 - FW

155 - LW

170 - WW

185 - MW

205 - LHW

Very strange. What's the minimum for HW?

It's % of body weight in Boxing it goes up as little as 3lbs in the smaller weight classes but 175lb is LHW and 200 is Cruiserweight and Heavyweight doesn't have a limit.

10lbs for someone like DJ is a lot while guys like Jon Jones 10lbs is easy to lose especially just water weight

I do think a 165lb title wouldn't hurt as they have 100s of fighters at 155 & 170 just in the UFC (145-170  have the most fighters for a reason and not just in the UFC) because there's more in shape humans in the western world at those weights but 195lb would just destroy half the already weak 205 division.

205 was great in Pride & The UFC when nobody really tested but now they do including the commissions, UFC fighters did get tested but it was usually just before they fought.

I do find it hard to believe that no Footballers or Basketballers ever fail yet they spend so much on sports nutrition, it won't make you better with a ball but it will help recovery and fitness

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Surely he would have been flagged for cocaine use as well as the steroid they found unless I've completely misunderstood the process?

Aren't they saying that the cocaine leaves your system quickly but the steroid (that's contaminated the creatine that your cocaine was cut with) doesn't?

So the cocaine would be out of your system before you're tested but the steroid wouldn't be.

I also remember there being talk at the time that Jones was busted for cocaine that USADA shouldn't be testing for cocaine anyway because it's not on the banned substance list as a performance enhancer.