Things that are overrated

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I woke up at a friends house this summer morn, where the bedroom wall is plastered from top to bottom in Bob Marley posters.

Now, like most of us, I'm partial to a bit O' Bob and all, but come on now? Does he really warrant a 29 year old man having a poster saying "when you smoke the herb it reveals you to yourself".

I find Bob Marley a bit overrated, but largely because of numptys treating him as patron saint of Reefer Madness, more than anything to do with his music.

What do you find overrated? The Beatles? Caviar? Sherbert Lemons? Sir Francis Bacon? Copulation?

TOO MUCH MARLEY! WP_20160709_09_37_13_Pro.jpg

The Beatles 100%. I never got it, and don't think I ever will. Lots of my friends growing up were brought up on them, and I never was (Dad was more Zeppelin, ACDC, Bowie, Eagles, T-Rex), maybe that's where the disconnect is.

But I think The Beatles are overrated. Don't get me wrong, I can see why they're revered and you'd have to be stupid not to but I don't like them.

• Paid Members

Abba and Elvis. I have specifically picked these two because although I appreciate how great he was as a performer and showman at the time, along with both groups being able to create very catchy and usually well written pop songs, the amount of people that go mental for them astonishes me.

I can understand the Beatles (to a point), but that's probably just bias. However, when I was a 12-15 year old, I was enthralled by nirvana and Metallica. Had the music, the shirts, the heavily poster clad walls, even the long dirty hair. That was as a young teen though.

The amount of adults who dress up as Elvis and go daft any time a song of either groups come on is staggering.

In fact due to the sheer scale of super fans and fringe fans, it's damaged their reputation in my eyes, as I can't see them for anything more than a cliche 'act'. As middle of the road as you can get, the music equivalent of Mrs Browns boys, or Peter Kay.

Nandos. Its very nice and all but nothing I've ever eaten there has been better than than just very nice. It's overpriced for what it is and I find it mental that people will wait an hour for a table at my local branch when there's loads of choice close by.

• Paid Members

100% behind Nandos in this thread. Its good, but no where near as good as people make out.

That said everyone I know who raves about it can't cook to save their life. I don't know if there is a connection there or not.

Yep Nandos is overrated bollocks, chips are rubbish. Add GBK, Five Guys, Starbucks, Caffe Nero to the list as well. All shit.

My mums girlfriend is absolutely obsessed with Bob. Wears shirts and jeans with his face on and all sorts.

Everything Ir(ie)oned? Sorry...

I like Good nandos, but it's not the super cuisine many would make you think. Good, but not great food. Wouldn't wait more than 5 mins for a table

• Paid Members

The finally tried 5 guys a couple of weeks back. The burger was great but the chips were shart. I've only heard them bigger up on here though, to put this into context.

• Paid Members

You see I really like Five Guys, but not for the prices they charge. They charge restaurant prices for what is essentially a glorified (albeit much nicer) fast food place. Patty & Bun is much nicer for the same sort of price and you feel like you're out having a meal more than if you go to Five Guys.

I've never been to a Byron's.

Yep Nandos is overrated bollocks, chips are rubbish. Add GBK, Five Guys, Starbucks, Caffe Nero to the list as well. All shit.

My mums girlfriend is absolutely obsessed with Bob. Wears shirts and jeans with his face on and all sorts.

Everything Ir(ie)oned? Sorry...

That was horrific... but I chuckled.

Add me to the Nando's list - Rooster's or Sam's chicken is cheaper and do all the same flavours/marinades. Plus, what's a good junk food pig out without the shame? It's socially acceptable to have a Nando's at 11:00 am.

Archived