What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

• Moderators

Why is it? The criticisms so far have been fair, and people explained what works for them and what doesn't, and they were criticisms people flagged up as ones they may well have before the show.

They have a rich talent roster, and wonderfully using very little in the way of imports relative to other UK companies, and fine production, but there's too much focus on the What Culture people who aren't of a great standard as personalities on a wrestling show. I think that's fair.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I can conclude on social media, I've a feeling they've paid their talent extra to big up the promotion on their pages and in their tweets.

I'm dubious of your reasons for posting that, It's not clear why you did?  If its just an observation then fair enough, but I get the feeling you want us all to think 'what a set of underhand bastards!'

Firstly, so what if they have? Its as legitimate a marketing tool as any other and provided the workers aren't half arsing it in the ring, then I don't see the problem.  I'll be sure to block the likes of Dean Ambrose next time he tweets about that pesky title defence he's got coming up since I can't imagine he's doing so without financial remuneration.

Secondly, it's very clear from what I've seen of the product that WCPW have the benefit of production values on par with some of the best promotions in the country, so it's not beyond the realms of expectation that they've created a working environment (What Culture being a successful business first and foremost) that these guys are enjoying the opportunity to work their shows, and as such, more than happy to shout about them across social media.

No it was just an observation as thats how I've come to hear about WCPW. Through talent's social media postings.

I haven't seen any of the shows and have no reason to dislike them - some workers I'd consider myself friendly with work for them - so just saying. i wasn't trying to get at anything.

I am sure that the production values were great (show looks decent) and the staff are hard working- to be honest neither of those would make me watch any TV show. There is a lot of content out there - a lot with the same wrestlers on, whereby I don't have 5 or 6 "personalities" forced upon me with their wackiness every 2 mins, never mind the horrendous commentary.

Surely, the UKFF (and other media platforms) who are all saying the same thing are the target market for this kind of venture - especially when they want me to shell out £20 to come to a show this really wasn't a great advert.

• Paid Members

No it was just an observation as thats how I've come to hear about WCPW. Through talent's social media postings.

I haven't seen any of the shows and have no reason to dislike them - some workers I'd consider myself friendly with work for them - so just saying. i wasn't trying to get at anything.

In which case, apologies.  I've been around this place too long, and read it as a bit of a loaded statement if you'll pardon the pun.

Ignore me, I've been in bell-end mode the past few days.

Surely, the UKFF (and other media platforms) who are all saying the same thing are the target market for this kind of venture - especially when they want me to shell out £20 to come to a show this really wasn't a great advert.

It's targeted at people who watch videos called "10 Reasons why Vince McMahon is the worst promoter in the history of pro wrestling"

Im not sure we are the target market now. In recent years I think there has been a rise in the young smart-casual fan so to speak. I know a number, ypu can talk a serious bit of weeks with them, the know a little bit about the Indies but that's it. Usually there historical knowledge is off a bit too. These are the the people I think wcpw is appealing too. I'm not sure on the average age of the ukff but it's got to be closer to 30 now surely?

For me I have to agree the personalities could overwhelm a wrestling show and extended out of 10 mind videos not work so well. I hope they reduce the number and tweak the stronger ones

Why is it? The criticisms so far have been fair, and people explained what works for them and what doesn't, and they were criticisms people flagged up as ones they may well have before the show.

They have a rich talent roster, and wonderfully using very little in the way of imports relative to other UK companies, and fine production, but there's too much focus on the What Culture people who aren't of a great standard as personalities on a wrestling show. I think that's fair.

Agree totally with this. The wrestling was fine. As a fan of UK Wrestling, the likes of El Ligero, Martin Kirby and Joe Coffey are guys I'm familiar with and am happy to watch. The production values were brilliant.

The What Culture guys being such a big part of the show is what is the problem. I could probably handle it a lot better if it wasn't for that awful awful commentator. If he improved by 100%, he would still be unwatchable and unlistenable. I can not put into words how awful he was

The what culture involvement is inevitable, people like the personalities and there own video storyline setup before WCPW became a thing is proof of that. The commentary needs an overhaul quickly as people have stated. And draw back on the use of the WhatCulture staff to perhaps just two storys a week. They can still be there, just draw back on them a little.

Why is it that wrestling should have a different barometer to everything else In the world.

You can't criticise because it's the first show? How is it any different to watching the pilot for a new comedy and not laughing once and deciding you aren't going to watch it again. Watching your team play terribly on the first day of the season and not buying a season ticket?

It brings me to the other argument you always hear that you can't critique wrestling if you have never laced up a pair of boots and taken a bump. You don't hear actors say you can't slag off my performance because you have never done a play or a Michelin starred chef say you can't say I burnt your steak because you have never worked in a kitchen!

The production values really were pretty terrible, outside of the excellent match graphics. The green screen stuff looks awful, the lighting setup is all wrong and there's a light right above the hard camera. Some of the zooming and framing would make Kevin Dunn wince. 

The what culture involvement is inevitable, people like the personalities and there own video storyline setup before WCPW became a thing is proof of that. The commentary needs an overhaul quickly as people have stated. And draw back on the use of the WhatCulture staff to perhaps just two storys a week. They can still be there, just draw back on them a little.

yeah, it may be a bit sad to say but a show with the Brit talent + these guys is gonna make more noise than if it was wholly focused on the wrestlers. and in my view, the two that happened to be named Adam have some great comedic timing and have potential in manager type roles. The trouble is the rest of the team add fuck all to the equation and aint cut out to be there, that and 'King' Ross needs to be brutally murdered. No remorse, no hesitation, slice and dice that man until the room is red.... seriously. I actually was subscribed to What Culture WWE for a few months and quite enjoyed the videos, even if they presented their videos with a kind of lame smarky narrative, there were at least a couple of gags that would get me in each vid and it was just good time filler to get my mind buzzing about things that have happened in wrestling, until that guy started to pop up more and more and I had to cut ties with the whole thing..fuck me what a cunt. 

yeah, it may be a bit sad to say but a show with the Brit talent + these guys is gonna make more noise than if it was wholly focused on the wrestlers. and in my view, the two that happened to be named Adam have some great comedic timing and have potential in manager type roles. The trouble is the rest of the team add fuck all to the equation and aint cut out to be there, that and 'King' Ross needs to be brutally murdered. No remorse, no hesitation, slice and dice that man until the room is red.... seriously. I actually was subscribed to What Culture WWE for a few months and quite enjoyed the videos, even if they presented their videos with a kind of lame smarky narrative, there were at least a couple of gags that would get me in each vid and it was just good time filler to get my mind buzzing about things that have happened in wrestling, until that guy started to pop up more and more and I had to cut ties with the whole thing..fuck me what a cunt. 

You're being too kind to him

• Paid Members

I get what people are saying about it being only the first show, especially as most creative endeavours such as TV shows and book series often take a little while to find their feet and establish things, but there is a massive difference between criticising a show and having patience with them. If anything, these shows need criticism, if they're ever going to iron out the creases and get good. They're not going to know what they're doing wrong if nobody says anything.

Archived