What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I started watching episode one at the weekend - only made it midway through the first match (which came after THREE consecutive WhatCulture guys segments) before I gave up. I planned on giving it another go but don't know if I can be bothered.

The actual wrestling looks decent, with a lot of names that I rate and enjoy, and I like the look of the arena, but like so many other indie wrestling 'TV' shows it's everything except the in-ring product that lets it down. In a time where there is sooo much more readily available on-screen wrestling content around than ever before, you really do need something a bit special to make people want to bother.

As I said, I'll try to summon up the will to give it another go...

See I like the WhatCulture presenters but even I skipped the stuff with them in to get to the actual wrestling. I get that they'll be a draw for a lot of people but they need to take a step back and let the wrestling be the centre of attention.

• Moderators

I think they've grossly minsunderstood what's over. They aren't over to most people, their content on youtube is. IE: Wrestling.  If you ever sit through a What Culture video it's not because people think "Oooooh, I want to see that crown cunt!" or "That man with the goatee is fucking hilarious", it's because "The title to that video looks like that's an interesting subject" as it's inviting clickbait and so you watch it then.

They'll do well for a while as they've the reach on youtube and evidently at least some following due to those videos and so they can push it through, but I can soon see it getting old for people, as it looks like on here it got old for most after the first episode. I mean, so far the biggest fans of it have been Khemical and C-Rock. Hardly a glowing endorsement.

So yeah. Far less them. More focus on the wrestlers.

I don't mind the odd video from WC, Adam Blampiet I believe his name is, appears stand out from the rest of the presenters. This to show thing though was car crash at the very worst. Run-ins galore, horrible angles with all there presenters stinking it up every 5 seconds. It also further adds to my belief most the presenters buy into their own gimmicks.

I also think this will be short lived the actual loaded show thing, it must be expensive to run unless they lower the talent cost drastically going forward, combined with shooting and location costs. Reckon the audience will eventually stop turning up in droves.

Other than Simon Miller who did MOS for years, anyone else know if any of this lot have any background otherwise in wrestling over here?

I've seen folks say "well they have tons of subscribers they must be doing something right!"

But they are only two shows in and since when is something good just because lots of people watch it?

The second episode had a great match between El Ligero & Jay Lethal but again it was ruined by the so called 'personalities'

This really is terrible. Especially when you can see the talent perform at a variety of other promotions. Don't even think about watching it - just check out one of the many other UK promotions.

So I decided to watch the first episode last night. Wow. I was actually looking at getting to Newcastle for these next tapings, and would have had to stay over a night or 2 for it. Won't be bothering now. The guy aligned with Rampage Brown seems like the only one close enough to being good enough to be on shows like that. The commentator with the crown, "King Dickhead" I assume he's called was absolutely awful. Despite the talent that is on offer, I think I will pass in future

It is worth bearing in mind: the live shows follow a completely different format than what's been chopped and edited together for the YouTube show.

Probably not worth trains to and from Manchester and 2 nights in a hotel though

• Paid Members

From what I can conclude on social media, I've a feeling they've paid their talent extra to big up the promotion on their pages and in their tweets.

I'm dubious of your reasons for posting that, It's not clear why you did?  If its just an observation then fair enough, but I get the feeling you want us all to think 'what a set of underhand bastards!'

Firstly, so what if they have? Its as legitimate a marketing tool as any other and provided the workers aren't half arsing it in the ring, then I don't see the problem.  I'll be sure to block the likes of Dean Ambrose next time he tweets about that pesky title defence he's got coming up since I can't imagine he's doing so without financial remuneration.

Secondly, it's very clear from what I've seen of the product that WCPW have the benefit of production values on par with some of the best promotions in the country, so it's not beyond the realms of expectation that they've created a working environment (What Culture being a successful business first and foremost) that these guys are enjoying the opportunity to work their shows, and as such, more than happy to shout about them across social media.

Also WCPW have only been promoting for a short time and will no doubt have to find there feet going forward in regards to what works and what doesn't work. From refereeing the show and being around the What Culture team you could really tell that a lot of hard work went in to WCPW and everyone involved were very passionate about delivering the best possible product. I think in the not so distant future and at the next shows on 27th and 28th, WCPW will really deliver something pretty great. I think it's unfair to criticise the product after just one show.

Archived