What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

I was there and this was enormously disappointing.

It took over an hour for them to get the queue in. (This was after not opening the doors at the time they'd stated on the tickets)

The sound was largely inaudible all night.

You needed beer tokens to buy beer at some bars but not others which was just odd. 

One large section where we were couldn't see the screens (which was hilarious as they'd cordoned off one area on the opposite side assumedly for the same reason, so seems like they'd oversold the show)

The two pre show matches were just sort of there. (not a problem with that it's to be expected)

Ospreay Riccohet did a great job in the circumstances with the broken rope. But they went to the outside for a long period of time but the ring crew really didn't jump on top of this. It took them about a minute to repair the rope between the matches. This could have easily been done whilst the action was on the outside. It ruined what could have potentially been an amazing match. Christ knows why this was the opener (the order of the card was pretty baffling at times)

Plodding I Quit Match that never got going.

With no Pentagon Jr there we were left watching one of the worst Lucha matches that's ever taken place on planet earth. Seriously, botchy and featuring what looked like an overweight Max Moon cosplayer. 

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Travis Banks was good. But after watching two duds of matches it was odd to throw out an (admittedly well done) slow burn technical match here.

Women's title match was OK but short. (And if Nixon doesn't come out to bewitched what's the point eh?)

The ladder match was fun spot fest so no issues there. The finish from Ospreay was a thing of beauty.

World title match just proved that Joe Hendry isn't much more than a flashy entrance when it comes to match time. I love Drew though so got some joy out of that.

It was great to see Angle and he did all the signature stuff. As said before it felt a bit house showy but it was all about the chance to watch Kurt wrestle one more time and that delivered. He really is on a different plane tin terms of presence and star power. Paige slowly disappearing behind the barricade when the crowd started chanting for her was a genuine LOL moment. 

Overall - nothing about this show made me want to go to a WCPW show again (save the Bullet club being advertised for an upcoming show). It was badly paced, very little delivered and the shows are nothing without relying on star power.

Really good review.

I was there too and agree with most of what you said. Some people were acting like this was the greatest event to take place in the UK !!! It wasn't. WCPW may have the money but their fanboy attitude means it is not producing a good show. I suspect they will be done in a year or so.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ospreay Riccohet did a great job in the circumstances with the broken rope. But they went to the outside for a long period of time but the ring crew really didn't jump on top of this. It took them about a minute to repair the rope between the matches. This could have easily been done whilst the action was on the outside. It ruined what could have potentially been an amazing match. Christ knows why this was the opener (the order of the card was pretty baffling at times)

Well Will was pulling double duty (after wrestling Shibata and flying from Japan), so made sense in hindsight. Even at the time I liked it as an idea, to get things going.

I paid the £15 for the iPPV and generally enjoyed the show. I liked the Ricochet-Ospreay match, the top rope breaking forced them into something a bit different at least. Rampage-Primate was fine. ZSJ-Banks was very good, and the Ladder match was good, albeit I felt it peaked 5 minutes before the finish. The main event was both longer and better than I expected.

Actually that's a fair point on the double duty thing. 

You really felt Rampage vs Primate was fine? I usually love Rampage but that match lacked any real intensity and just never got going. The live crowd was so quiet you could have heard a small cat do a discrete fart. 

You really felt Rampage vs Primate was fine? I usually love Rampage but that match lacked any real intensity and just never got going. The live crowd was so quiet you could have heard a small cat do a discrete fart. 

Well I might backtrack slightly, and say I was prepping dinner at the time so was only half-watching. The stuff I saw was OK, and it was early enough in the show I probably cut it more slack than say Hendry-Galloway which probably was a better definition of "fine" but I thought exposed Hendry's in ring limitations a bit.

• Paid Members

I got a press ticket & so got in free but I'm also a cynical bastard, so the 2 things should cancel each other out: I thought the show was fine. There was one TERRIBLE match - and that's not the first time I've seen Drago stink the place out, although el Hijo del Dos Caras must take most of the blame for this one - and two GREAT matches, and the rest was average to fine. I imagine the I Quit match came across better on TV, and it probably helped that I was sat with somebody who could explain the storylines to me. Angle was a sad sight but he popped the crowd. I won't become a regular but I might go to a show again, maybe in a smaller building, though.

I got a press ticket & so got in free but I'm also a cynical bastard, so the 2 things should cancel each other out: I thought the show was fine. There was one TERRIBLE match - and that's not the first time I've seen Drago stink the place out, although el Hijo del Dos Caras must take most of the blame for this one - and two GREAT matches, and the rest was average to fine. I imagine the I Quit match came across better on TV, and it probably helped that I was sat with somebody who could explain the storylines to me. Angle was a sad sight but he popped the crowd. I won't become a regular but I might go to a show again, maybe in a smaller building, though.

The I quit match came across terrible online.

The match itself was nothing to shout about, very plodding indeed not much excitement at all. 

I went too and although there were some dodgy moments I felt the good outweighed the bad. The decision to go was a bit last minute as I happened to be in the area so I didn't go in with any expectations really. The queue was a bit mental but we got in fairly quickly and in time for the first match but we ended up standing because there were posts in the way of the remaining seats (a venue issue, not the promotions fault). In terms of matches I felt the majority were good but the Drago/El Hijo de Dos Caras was one of the worst I've seen. I can only assume that it was very last minute and El Hijo was used as a convenience booking as he was already in the country, but he certainly seemed to be totally off the pace and the two simply didn't gel. This was even more disappointing as one of the things that had swayed me to come was the original Pentagon/Drago match but these things happen. The I Quit match was a let down too, BUT will have probably looked better on TV which I presume it was probably booked for anyway. Other than that, I felt it was a decent event. The rope break actually added something to the Ricochet/Ospreay match and forced them to change things up a bit, the ladder match was a brilliant spot-fest and Angle vs El Patron was just pure emotion as far as I'm concerned. A good event from what is still a company learning the ropes.

• Paid Members

I went too and although there were some dodgy moments I felt the good outweighed the bad. The decision to go was a bit last minute as I happened to be in the area so I didn't go in with any expectations really. The queue was a bit mental but we got in fairly quickly and in time for the first match but we ended up standing because there were posts in the way of the remaining seats (a venue issue, not the promotions fault). In terms of matches I felt the majority were good but the Drago/El Hijo de Dos Caras was one of the worst I've seen. I can only assume that it was very last minute and El Hijo was used as a convenience booking as he was already in the country, but he certainly seemed to be totally off the pace and the two simply didn't gel. This was even more disappointing as one of the things that had swayed me to come was the original Pentagon/Drago match but these things happen. The I Quit match was a let down too, BUT will have probably looked better on TV which I presume it was probably booked for anyway. Other than that, I felt it was a decent event. The rope break actually added something to the Ricochet/Ospreay match and forced them to change things up a bit, the ladder match was a brilliant spot-fest and Angle vs El Patron was just pure emotion as far as I'm concerned. A good event from what is still a company learning the ropes.

Well they aren't doing well so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah Coventry, with its Formule 1 Hotel where the room is cheaper than the cheap seats to the show

I once stayed in the Formula 1 Hotel in liverpool....3 to a room, £11 pound each, with a room so small the door hits the bed on the way open. 1 double bed and a single top bunk. Best part is on the way in the electric ran out in the building. And I mean ran out, not "there was a power cut". The power went off, only for the desk bloke to go running off with a leccy key and stick the emergancy on.

Anyway, whats the card for this skydome show? I haven't been since British Uprising 3

Archived