What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

Good on em for listening to feedback, they're backed by the What Culture company who from my understanding employ a number of people, so if their raking in advertising revenue, plus tickets and March sales this is probably doing very well. Cornette and Ross seems steep to pay if true but they may well be tieing it in with other marketing opportunities such as meet and greets which will cover the expense all being well and boost the shows profile.

I'd keep Alex Shane and co well away from all of it though.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They've been involved in 'Audience with' events with Bischoff and others, wouldn't be surprised if they are organising events with both of them to off set the costs. If it works out it'll be a good way of getting some higher profile commentators.

Alex Shane needs to do one though, no one needs him near their product

• Paid Members

I imagine Alex is like the big lad in school with those What Culture geeks. Dave Bradshaw's the shittest man on earth. I dont think I've ever seen him outside a room Alex Shane is in. He must do a lot of work for no money.

Mind you, even I felt sorry for him when Raven for doing the verbal equivelant of "why are you hitting yourself?"

Cody rhodes vs kurt angle announced for october 8th in Altrincham. Random !!

is because its a part of Brit Wres Fest 2016 in association with NGW [who have thier weekly show on the WC YT page]

Where is the announcement for this? Really on the fence about going to the next Britwres Fest as I hadn't heard a single thing about it. Enjoyed last year's a lot.

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/761610761005363200

• 2 weeks later...

WCPW have released a promotional video saying Minoru Suzuki is coming in October - I don't know if that is their next set of shows from 4-6 October or later in the month.

He's in for 6th in Newcastle and 8th in Manchester area. Desperado on the 7th and 8th.

Sold me a ticket.

• Paid Members

As I'm sure many UKFFers have I've been aware of those What Culture vids for a while. Maybe watched a couple but by and large they really arn't for me. All the top 10 things you didn't know about type stuff or smarky recap videos.

However I went down a bit of a WCPW rabit hole today and I've gotta say as a promotion I really like it. I've watched every show from Built to Destroy onwards including the Live stream of Stacked tonight.

Now i should point out that I am a old school FWA fan from back in the day and as has been pointed out in this thread these shows reek of Alex Shane.

It certainly seems like I picked the right place to jump on board as the production was pretty good for a new indie and I didn't have to put up with the previous announce team. From reading this thread they sound like they would have been a deal breaker.

Genuinely not having the foggiest who the What Culture characters are hasn't been much of a problem. From where I started they are obviously front and centre in the angles but no more than any other usual GM/manager rivalry.

It's a very intriguing business model. Essentially using youtube as a global TV deal. Fair play to them as I really think they could have something here that could be very lucrative. My Wife watches an awful lot of youtube vloggers and some them have whole ranges of products in boots and superdrug and what not.

If they continue to essentially give away whole shows on youtube then I'll most certainly continue to follow them. I expect an awful lot of hardcore fans will as well and if thats all the need to make it a success then I'd say they are on to a winner.

I'm sure some of you are way more educated in the ways of Youtube than me. Just how successful could this be?

I'm no expert on it, but I know once you build a certain following (something they most definitely have), you paid for every google ad clicked on their video pages and they also get paid for every ad that's watched (you need to watch half of it or 30 seconds at least). Depending on the ad, depends on the return but it can vary from $1 onward.

A lot of their videos they easily reach 1 million views. Let' say 0.1% viewed the video, that's 1000. Some generic ad will pay out lets say $1.37. $1.37 x 1000 = $1,370. Google keeps 45%, so that's $753.50 right there. Some of their videos have reached 8 million, if 5% of the viewers watched that video or clicked on the link for the same above ad rate that's $548,000 before googles take.

Their doing just fine I think.    

• 2 weeks later...

Went to my first WCPW show last night, thoughts...

* With the talent on display the whole thing was meh. I think the venue doesn't help, a place more suited for bands than wrestling. Aside from Martin Kirby, there was little to no crowd interaction and not having a ring announcer present until the main event is also a negative so no one to engage with the crowd.

* Was very full maybe 400 people, I would say a good 80 - 100 of those left before the end, especially those with kids who mostly left after half time

* Show was barely two hours including interval but dragged like hell

* Everything is about the WCPW "personalities" there is not a match or storyline that doesn't involve them in some way. Most are harmless aside from Adam with the beard who is just the utter shits, and the lass with Jason Prime needs some basic acting lessons

* Crowd was pretty dead considering how many was in, again due to lack of interaction

* Main event was great, Kirby - Dunne was fun, nothing else was really memorable

I was also there last night and it was a noticeable step down from the last show a few weeks ago. There seemed to be a much bigger casual/student presence this time around which didn't help (and led to me being stuck next to a bunch of pricks shouting Harambe jokes all night). The show overall was a lot shorted and more focused on angles .

Can't really complain for £5.

• Paid Members

How was the ring announcer not present until the main event? Were the wrestlers just coming out for their matches to their music and no introductions?  :blink:

I had a ticket for the show but couldn’t make it due to double booking myself. Will pop along if they run the Academy again, though.

Archived