What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

I'm working my way through the youtube channel watching bits and bobs from the WCPW era. I could totally see this product on a proper tv channel as it looks very good from a production point of view. Seems to have the talent mixed in that would gain attention too.

Are people still watching in the Defiant era though? Doesn't seem to be too much chat here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, Philjax said:

I'm working my way through the youtube channel watching bits and bobs from the WCPW era. I could totally see this product on a proper tv channel as it looks very good from a production point of view. Seems to have the talent mixed in that would gain attention too.

Are people still watching in the Defiant era though? Doesn't seem to be too much chat here.

I think WCPW/Defiant has created its own distinct fanbase, via its Youtube channels, which for "reasons" has alienated some of the hardcore British Indy fans.

I think a lot of people got wound up by the presence of the What Culture presenters in on-screen roles and the amount of imports that WCPW seemed to rely on. Rather different now as aside from Austin Aries and David Starr (does he even count as an import these days?) the card for the upcoming Manchester shows are all British and getting British stars out there on free Youtube channels, rather than behind paywall pivotshare promotions can only do good for their talent.

Just ordered two second-row seats for the Manchester Sunday show.

• 3 weeks later...

From memory:

Gibson bt. Rampage - ended when a 'Fighting Spirit jumper wearing 'fan' jumped the guardrail to distract Rampage leading to a tight roll-up. It did seem legit at first as two security held him down, but then Rampage pulled him into the ring for two piledrivers. Good match, naff ending.

HT. Drake bt. Amir Jordan - Drake came out first time around, only for the power to completely cut out. Had to wait about 20 minutes for them to re-start everything. He brought out his gimmick killer gimmick and asked Defiant to send out a gimmick. Quick match, probably due to the time lost, rope supported pin.

Gabriel Kidd bt. Jurn Simmons - interference from Prince Ameen who tripped Simmons with the 'flying carpet'. Simmons very annoyed afterwards at the lack of DQ. Dull.

Joe Hendry came out for The Joe Hendry Show with his guest Stu Bennett. A very amusing spot where Hendry tried to convince Bennett to let him be the final member of team Definant, so Bennett made Hendry tear up his restraining order on Travis Banks, which he duly did, only for Bennett to say no anyway. Hendry gathered up the pieces of the document and came to ringside to commentate on:

David Starr & El Ligero bt. Mike Bailey and Chris Brookes. Match of the night by far, as excellent as you would expect from these four, some good comedy and technical spots. Ended with Starr getting the cover and celebrating around the ring while Joe Hendry stood awaiting his thanks for the Prestige's help. Hendry hits Starr with a DDT. Travis Banks comes out and Hendry flees.

Banks, Starr, Bailey and Brookes end up in the ring - Bennett comes out and announces these four will challenge for the internet title on Monday.

SCC bt. Hunter Brothers - meant to be a ladder match, but ended up being No DQ. A few brutal ladder spots, ended with a strong table bump, otherwise dull. Crowd utterly dead.

After this match, a backstage segment played where Bennett revealed the fifth man for Team Defiant is Rampage Brown, to a poor audience reaction.

Millie McKenzie bt. Kay Lee Ray and new Women's Champion - a solid match, second best of the night. McKenzie has enormous potential.

Team Defiant (Rampage Brown, Martin Kirby, BT Gunn, Travis Banks and Primate) bt. Team IPW (Austin Aries, Mark Haskins, Aussie Open and No Fun Dunne). An overlong comedy opener where everyone kept tagging in and out, then Team IPW got bored and went backstage, followed by Defiant, leading to a big brawl across the arena for about 5 minutes, with plenty of chaos. After a few eliminations, Aries ended up tapping to Kirby, who was made to tap by Haskins. Ended with Haskins eating a piledriver from Rampage for the win.

Team Defiant celebrated in the ring. There was a post-show Stunner Party on Prince Ameen, but we had left by this point.

Not a great show. The tag and women's matches were good, but the crowd was smallish and pretty dead throughout. The venue was insanely cold.

The whole ending to the Invasion angle fell completely flat. There was no 'edge', no surprises, just Team Defiant winning clean and standing tall. I was expecting Hendry and Defiant to play a big part, but they never appeared. Everyone was expecting a big surprise for the 5th member of Team Defiant, so a lot of disappointment when it turned out to be Rampage and not much interest when it was just him left as it was clear he was going to dominate. I would much rather have seen Kirby, who is still massively over, take the win.

I'd be surprised if Defiant keeps going to be fair.

After the Cultaholics breakaway they lost 3 of their main guys on the games and film channels as well, who've since set up their own channel, Vidiots.

Add to that, their own content producers are now openly snarky about all the lists they're expected to compile, it's becoming more and more obvious how miserable a place it is.

Unless they can hold on to their youtube numbers and core producers I can see Defiant being a luxury they can't afford before too long.

I was at the show, and although it didn’t look great on paper it was better than I expected. Not a patch on the shows wcpw were running last summer though.

sad to say I don’t see defiant lasting much longer, especially with a large part of it’s talent being lured away to 5*

Archived