What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

Apparently he has been pulled from a show in Dundee, according to a report I read. Is it that one?

That was the 5 Star Wrestling TV show next week. Was due to be a commentator (I imagine with physical run-in/angle).

With the E pulling wrestlers left and right 'off the air' I don't know if the rules apply to those going into the Hall Of Fame. If not, then it lends itself to the suggestion there is more to his return than just the induction.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like Tessa Blanchard might be off this Sundays card. Whilst WCPW haven't announced anything themselves, Eventbrite have refunded me my Tessa meet & greet ticket saying she's no longer appearing. It's a bit poor, if true, that I've got to hear the news from the Eventbrite and not WCPW itself.  

Isn't she alleged to be a bit of a shithouse? Something about bullying other lasses on a Japanese tour.

Yes, she has that reputation. In this instance though I doubt that would be an issue if they still want to keep booking Ricochet. She is off Wrestlecircus next weekend (19th) due to "Tessa working on exciting new project".

It looks like Tessa Blanchard might be off this Sundays card. Whilst WCPW haven't announced anything themselves, Eventbrite have refunded me my Tessa meet & greet ticket saying she's no longer appearing. It's a bit poor, if true, that I've got to hear the news from the Eventbrite and not WCPW itself.

@whatculturepw

Due to an unscheduled commitment, @teamTblanchard will unfortunately not be part of #TrueDestiny tomorrow. @BeaPriestley will still compete.

9:14 PM · Feb 11, 2017

Average show.

Any results?

Dark Match - Prince Ameen beats Drake

Pre-Show - Bad Bones beats Doug WIlliams

Main Show

Ricochet beats Will Ospreay

Rampage beats Primate in I Quit Match

Drago beats El Hijo Dos Caras

Zac Sabre Jr beats Travis Banks

Swords of Essex (Ospreay & Wainwright) win Tag Titles over Moss & Slater, Gracie & Prospect, Ligero & Kidd in Ladder Match

Nixon Newell wins Womens Title over Bea Priestley

Drew Galloway Retains over Joe Hendry

Kurt Angle beats El Patron

After the match Hendry comes out and low blows Angle and Patron makes the save

Generally an average show and although I quite liked the venue and despite going thinking I would dislike the WCPW crowd it was decent evening.

Although having 10 matches non stop was a bit much especially with no breaks between matches or anything to break up the action most of the crowd only really woke up for the main event. 

I doubt it made the iPPV but Paige was front row for the main event, Del Rio even got a kiss mid match.

It should also be noted that the queue to get in was horrible as it was freezing outside and it took about an hour from doors opening to everyone getting inside.

I'd go with the average show assessment above. A few good matches that were cancelled out by some poor ones and a bit of disappointment.

Didn't like

​

The top rope - Gutted the top rope broke so early in the Ricochet/Osprey match. Both guys worked really hard to make something of it though and fair play to them as it was one of the better things on the show. Just unfortunate that the break happened during a match that needed it.

No Pentagon Jr - A real shame that Pentagon wasn't there. Made even worse by his replacement El Hijo de Dos Caras who looked knackered after 3 minutes and botched a load of stuff. Should've found a British replacement to work with Drago - this was just awful.

The "I Quit" match - A dull, plodding affair. Lacked the intensity that this kind of match requires. Rampage always looked pretty decent in the past, less so here.

Also disliked - The women's title match (Short and messy) and the video packages/backstage promos (either inaudible or horrible bassy/feedback).

Liked

Ladder match - Lots of fun with some really nice spots. Thought Osprey was the man of the moment here and the cutter from the top was great.

Sabre Jr/Banks - Not everyones cup of tea but I thought it was cracking.

Galloway/Hendry - A good if unspectacular match. A decent showing from Galloway but I'm not too sure about Hendry.

Kurt/Alberto - Kurt got a great reaction. Felt like a WWE house show main event which is hardly surprising given the circumstances.

I had previously seen snippets of WCPW's output via Youtube and struggled to see its appeal but due to the allure of Kurt Angle I decided to give this event a go.  Have to say it was one of the worst live shows I have ever attended,  the bouts ranged from mediocre to utterly abysmal.  I still have no idea what WCPW is and who in the current environment it is trying to appeal to?

The Drago/Dos Caras bout was just purely unacceptable and I've never seen anything so dire before in my 30 years of attendng live events.  I actually have no idea how Jim Ross on commentary was able to put anything over on the card with any kind of enthusiasm because it was all quite painfull to watch.

I was there and this was enormously disappointing.

It took over an hour for them to get the queue in. (This was after not opening the doors at the time they'd stated on the tickets)

The sound was largely inaudible all night.

You needed beer tokens to buy beer at some bars but not others which was just odd. 

One large section where we were couldn't see the screens (which was hilarious as they'd cordoned off one area on the opposite side assumedly for the same reason, so seems like they'd oversold the show)

The two pre show matches were just sort of there. (not a problem with that it's to be expected)

Ospreay Riccohet did a great job in the circumstances with the broken rope. But they went to the outside for a long period of time but the ring crew really didn't jump on top of this. It took them about a minute to repair the rope between the matches. This could have easily been done whilst the action was on the outside. It ruined what could have potentially been an amazing match. Christ knows why this was the opener (the order of the card was pretty baffling at times)

Plodding I Quit Match that never got going.

With no Pentagon Jr there we were left watching one of the worst Lucha matches that's ever taken place on planet earth. Seriously, botchy and featuring what looked like an overweight Max Moon cosplayer. 

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Travis Banks was good. But after watching two duds of matches it was odd to throw out an (admittedly well done) slow burn technical match here.

Women's title match was OK but short. (And if Nixon doesn't come out to bewitched what's the point eh?)

The ladder match was fun spot fest so no issues there. The finish from Ospreay was a thing of beauty.

World title match just proved that Joe Hendry isn't much more than a flashy entrance when it comes to match time. I love Drew though so got some joy out of that.

It was great to see Angle and he did all the signature stuff. As said before it felt a bit house showy but it was all about the chance to watch Kurt wrestle one more time and that delivered. He really is on a different plane tin terms of presence and star power. Paige slowly disappearing behind the barricade when the crowd started chanting for her was a genuine LOL moment. 

Overall - nothing about this show made me want to go to a WCPW show again (save the Bullet club being advertised for an upcoming show). It was badly paced, very little delivered and the shows are nothing without relying on star power.

Archived