What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

• Paid Members

It's always good news when more British wrestlers you see week-in and week-out in halls in this country start to get exposure overseas and more opportunities - everyone likes a success story.  British wrestling as a 'brand' is hot at the moment, it's got a buzz about it in terms of independent wrestling and our guys are in high demand in promotions across the world.

WCPW isn't my kind of graps, but I am realising that I don't think it's supposed to be.  It's supposed to be entry-level British wrestling for casual WWE fans brought in by their list-based, fantasy booking YouTube videos, generating revenue from the 'views'.  If you're already following PROGRESS, or ICW, or RevPro, or PCW, or NGW, or Southside, or TIDAL or whatever, then it's not going to do much for you.  In fact, unless you're someone of the mindset that their website/lists/articles resonates with, you probably aren't their target audience.

What they have to hope longer term is that there is enough of those fans out there, those who eat up all of their WC content, who want to come along and play at being the 'fun wrestling crowd' they see on TV to make it worthwhile. Given the number of views their vids get and the crowds at their shows so far, there probably is enough interest for now to keep something going for a while.

I quickly dismissed the 'TV' after the first couple of episodes, but was convinced to give it another go due to the attention they were getting.  It's fair to say the first 4 episodes were cack, but the first 'special' was actually fairly decent.  Then, the stuff from the 2nd set of tapings in the bigger Academy building was actually better, as if they'd taken feedback from the first tapings into account.  I only got as far as the 2nd episode of the 2nd 'batch' ('Loaded' episode 6?) and haven't bothered any further yet.  It's not bad, and it's getting better, but when there's loads of other wrestling content available to me onscreen and live it's just nothing I need to see.  Like I said, not my kind of graps.

What is interesting about WhatCulture running WrestleMania weekend shows over in Orlando is the sheer amount of British talent that's going to be over there at the time.  When you take into account WCPW, PROGRESS and RevPro running shows there, as well as EVOLVE and WrestleCon and Chikara and every other bugger, you have to think it's fairly likely that Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, Mark Haskins, Pete Dunne, Mark Andrews, Zack Sabre Jr, Jimmy Havoc, El Ligero, Martin Kirby, Joseph Conners, Rampage Brown, Jason Prime, Trent Seven, Joe Coffey and Joe Hendry, possibly Dave Mastiff, Zack Gibson Nathan Cruz and even Josh Bodom (bro) will all be out there at that time.

Given it's become 'a thing' for UK companies to like to put their own shows on on WrestleMania night, usually tied-in to a live screening of the big show itself (and this is a model that everyone all the way from ICW to PCW to ATTACK! to GRAPPLE and more like to do), you have to wonder just how much 'name' talent they will have at their disposal, especially when the likes of Noam Dar, Jack Gallagher, Tommy End and Big Damo are not available this time either.  There's plenty of others (and talented others too), but there will be nowhere near the depth of 'names' we have become used to having on big shows over here.  For instance, PCW have booked a 3-day, 4-show weekender over that weekend, with ICW and Southside also having shows then too.  While I haven't listed people like Bubblegum, T-Bone, Ashton Smith, Charlie Garrett, Chris Ridgeway etc. above, they can easily top out a card but I wonder what's left for underneath.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great point. I imagine Lionheart & quite a few of the ICW regulars will be available but other than that the majority of British wrestlers will all be stateside.

Can't even imagine what imports anyone could bring in since most Americans will be at Wrestlecon or one of the other shows.

Have just got tickets for November the 30th in Nottingham as the stepson wants to see Matt Hardy. Looking forward to showing him some of the British wrestlers I've enjoyed watching the last few years.

Then Del Rio is announced. Oh joy.

Still looks like it'll be a good show.

Can see this Impacting ICW's barramania show that's usually held same night as mania given how much uk talent will be stateside that weekend. Date hasn't been announced yet so may get moved away from that weekend which would make sense rather than run a weaker line up at a bigger venue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought tickets for this last night after seeing the match announcements. Ligero vs Rhodes has the potential to be really good, Hardy vs Bully Ray should be fun especially if we get full on dickhead Bully Ray. Just hope that the Whatculture guys don't hog the show too much.

Archived