What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

• Paid Members

Don't get me wrong. When I mentioned about their Youtube revenue before, I'm not claiming they are covering the costs of their shows purely from that. Far from it. I'm just saying they have a revenue source that every other promotion in this country doesn't. Someone like 1PW had to fill a room twice to cover the costs of their imports and just break even, WCPW will have a revenue stream regardless and is probably making more than most companies do from DVD sales or On Demand just by putting their stuff online for free. Factor in they are at the higher end of the Youtube pay scale (which is all very mysterious and vague) and they are also in a position to have paid sponsorship for their events and videos (not sure if they actually have or not) and seem to be at least splitting talent costs or trying to run Evening with events to re-coop the costs of travel and they aren't going to be hemorrhaging money as badly as some others.

Saying that if they are spunking that much on travel to bring in an announcer then they are asking to go out of business quickly. That's 'flying over a ref from the US' levels of stupid.

Oh and pay Astro for ripping off his stuff, you shits

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saying that if they are spunking that much on travel to bring in an announcer then they are asking to go out of business quickly. That's 'flying over a ref from the US' levels of stupid.

Not really.  if you're talking about 1PW, they flew an American ref in, who wouldn't have sold any tickets or merchandise, and nobody is going to buy a PPV/DVD to see a referee.  People might buy the PPV because they know JR and Cornette will be good, whereas who knows with unknown commentators.  They will have shared flight and hotel costs with whoever promoted the evening with JR and Cornette thing the other day, and I assume JR and Cornette sold a whole heap of merchandise and autographs at the show itself.  It's nowhere near the same as the referee at 1PW.  

• Paid Members

You're missing the 'paying that much money to bring them over' part of what I said. They are doing the only job in wrestling where talent don't have to be in the room to do it and they are paying 1st class travel to bring them over. My point was more about the amount they were paying for it. There is a finite amount of return you will get for having them there to do commentary. 1st class travel for either/ both exceeds that. Even if they went halves with the company that ran the q and a you are talking silly money.

You're missing the 'paying that much money to bring them over' part of what I said. They are doing the only job in wrestling where talent don't have to be in the room to do it and they are paying 1st class travel to bring them over. My point was more about the amount they were paying for it. There is a finite amount of return you will get for having them there to do commentary. 1st class travel for either/ both exceeds that. Even if they went halves with the company that ran the q and a you are talking silly money.

You do have to be there to do meet and greets, q&as, autograph signings etc.  Those things make good money, that's why there's so many of them around.  The fact that JR and Jim Cornette were there in person will have sold a fair amount of tickets.  Enough to cover their costs?  Unless you asked everyone there then you'll never know.  It probably was a deciding factor for some people watching on PPV.  You still cannot compare it to bringing over an unknown referee, or something else 1PW did, an unknown ring announcer/commentator.

• Paid Members

If I had 800k laying around (even if I had earned it ripping off other people's work and saturating Youtube with Top 10 clickbait) the last thing I'd do is spunk it up the wall on another flash in the pan Britwres company that haemorrhages money.

• 2 weeks later...

The term, fools and their money comes to mind. They're doing it on their own, when Rev Pro and Progress are with the cash-in conventions. After all, the local economic boost host cities get is akin to the Super Bowl or Final 4, can't blame them for getting a share. But the impression I get is they'll be dropping a lot of money shipping their stuff over which cannot be cheap at all. The wrestlers will be likely pulling double or triple duty with the aforementioned promotions. But question is, how much will they need for it to be viable?

Archived