Your first wrestling tape? *Pics*

tiger_rick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Boesch was Houston promoter IIRC and it seems to be TV matches and squashes too. Not sure if they are under the Pro Wrestling USA banner when some promoters teamed up to run shows against Vince.

Also anyone remember the International Wrestling tapes? One I had featured Mil Mascaras, Andre, Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Frenchy Martin, Rick Martel, had a blue cover IIRC.

I had/have that many vids I can't remember. Judging by the state of the cases the oldest looking one is this one:

Survivor_Series_1989_DVD.jpg

Some amount of ruddy talent on that sleeve. I remember snippets of things from that show. Bossman gave Dusty a right good beating with the nightstick, Piper and Co cut a good mad promo whilst eating chicken, Jake The Snake took a good pasting in his match. The Powers of Pain did a spike piledriver on Hogan, I think, which was good.

Oh, and 'card subject to change' applied here. Despite the back of the box, I'm sure at least Akeem, Barry Windham and Tully Blachard are replaced on the card.

• Awards Moderator

Vdi8PPW.jpg

My first, brought home by my brother from Pitsea market. Funny what qualified as a high flyer back then.

I remember watching Dynamite do that snap suplex a hundred times, I had no idea someone could do the move that fast.

Mine was either the tape in the top right hand side of this pic:

$_1.JPG

Or it was this one:

61CYv5iB0bL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

The USA Championship wrestling tape was matches from one of the territories I think, probably Dallas or Mid-South. Greg Valentine was on it as was a young Brett (sic) Hart. The Von Erich tape was weird because he lost the biggest match on the tape and my 6/7 year old self was really confused by why a 'best of' tape had the guy losing.

Going by the pictures of Wahoo McDaniel and Ivan Koloff on the covers, and the mention of Greg Valentine being on it, I'm led to believe it might well have been JCP you were watching on it.

I believe that USA Championship Wrestling was one of the last territories ran by Ron Fuller after he sold off part of Continental Championship Wrestling and turned the part he kept in to USA Championship Wrestling but then again that was the very late 80s and looking at those covers they seem much earlier but then again those wrestlers could have been the left overs of WWEs take over of the territories which is why Fullers promotion was short lived.

• Paid Members

i has a USA Championship Wrestling tape (the green one, bottom left). Im pretty sure i bought it in Bewise when i was with my parents (i was 10ish), im sure my dad tried to talk me out of it saying something like "its not what you watch on tv, its crap like you see down the leisure center", i didnt care and got it anyway, only to be utterly confused by what i saw. To go from the WWF to low budget territory stuff at a young age was a bit much. I even remember thinking the Bret Hart on the tape was a fake because he looked nothing like he did in the WWF. Id to watch it now.

• Paid Members

Also amuses me that it says on here 'Not sold in stores', which is exactly what it must've been for my old man to get it. I reckon he got it from Woolworths.

It was originally a video you got if you ordered a WCW Magazine sub, and then it arrived in stores in early 2001. Probably the last WCW video on the market. I still have it for some reason. Got rid of most of my VHS tapes, but that remains.

WWE released it when WCW went bust for some bizarre reason. It was very cheap. £2.99 or something.

You used to find all of those "USA Championship Wrestling" videos in car-boot sales around here. I've got a few. I've got a blue sleeved version too.

• Paid Members

Superstar USA Championship Wrestling was just a marketing title over here and nothing to do with the source of the footage. It was Jim Crockett Promotions/Mid Atlantic stuff from around 1983. As best I can tell, the tapes (some of which have commentary, some don't) are made up of matches taped for World Wide Wrestling but without any of the interviews or show openings/closings. That's why most of the matches are squashes.

• Paid Members

This was mine:

SC89.jpg

'Starrcade '89: Future Shock'.  Bought it from WHSmiths in Middlesbrough.  I'd been impressed by all the colours and characters on the WWF tapes, and did just have Sky by this point to be watching WWE regularly on weekly TV, but when it came to the point of actually handing-over my saved-up pocket money and selecting my first ever wrestling tape, I went with one featuring all the top WCW stars that had been my first actual exposure to wrestling on Yorkshire Television in the middle of the night.  I think there were only 4 WCW videos available in the shops at first, and this was going to be mine.  Sting... Ric Flair... Lex Luger... all in a tournament?  That sounds great!  And that Great Muta bloke that I thought looked awesome in that George Neopolitano photo book I'd spent hours gazing over the pages of?  Amazing!  And a tag tournament too?  With my absolute favourites the Steiner Brothers?  Cool.  And Legion of Doom, who were my favourites in WWF at this point (so much so they became my first ever wrestling t-shirt)... IN WCW?!?  This had to be it.

The show itself didn't let me down, even though it took me years to work out it had been clipped for home video.  I loved the Sting vs. Ric Flair match, especially the finish where Sting turned the figure four into a cradle.

It didn't take me long to get others, like Capital Combat 90, Great American Bash 90, Halloween Havoc 90, Superbrawl I and Halloween Havoc 91, then later others like Halloween Havoc 92, Great American Bash 92 and Beach Blast 93.  See the little sticker on the case?  You could save them up, send off and get a £2 voucher off a future WCW tape, which I did.  I'm sure there was also another promotion where you could send off for a Sting t-shirt, which I know I did.

Depsite watching WWF all the time on the telly, and it being the sight of WWF tapes on the shelves of Woolies, Smith's and John Menzie's (as well as wrestling figures in the Argos and Index catalogues) that first attracted me to wrestling in the first place, I never did bother with WWF tapes at all until Silvervision closed down and I bought some dirt cheap in the final sale.  I think that was because I just used to tape all my WWF stuff myself straight off the telly, including two 2-hour specials on Hulk Hogan and the History of WrestleMania that showed me what I thought were all the main, important, historic WWF matches anyway.

Starrcade 89, as well as all my other wrestling VHS tapes, went to the tip about 3 years ago...

Archived