Your first wrestling tape? *Pics*

tiger_rick

• Moderators

Best of WCW? I remember it being 2.49 in MVC for some reason. Then someone off here (Brownie or Magnum Milano?) sent it to me a few years ago and I festooned my pants with Jitler

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I picked it up for about £3 in Woolies.

My first tape was Survivors 1989 which I bought from John Menzies after getting mental excited over a lend of my mates Mania VI and Survivors 90. I thought it was awesome and hearing the pops for Jake, Demolition and Hogan in succession made me dry-jizz my 10 year old's Y-fronts.

My next tape was Rumble 93, also from John Menzies, then for my 12th birthday I was blessed with SummerSlam 88, Rumble 91, SummerSlam 93, WrestleMania The Greatest Hits (Soverign Series one), WrestleFest 93 and Invasion Of The Bodyslammers. I got told "choose 6" and that's what I went with. No idea what my rationale was, but Rumble 91 is probably my most-watched tape to this day.

That Best of WCW tape was given to Silver Vision by WWE when they bought WCW. With no more WCW there was obviously no more WCW Magazine, but they had thousands of those videos, so we released them under the Wrestle Vision label, which never got used again.

My first wrestling video was Survivor Series 1988, which I ordered from a catalogue my mate had brought into an A-Level maths lesson. He took the request from me and his Mum ordered it - never have I watched a video so many times as that first gem.

Mine was either the tape in the top right hand side of this pic:

$_1.JPG

Or it was this one:

61CYv5iB0bL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

The USA Championship wrestling tape was matches from one of the territories I think, probably Dallas or Mid-South.  Greg Valentine was on it as was a young Brett (sic) Hart.  The Von Erich tape was weird because he lost the biggest match on the tape and my 6/7 year old self was really confused by why a 'best of' tape had the guy losing.

Greg Valentine was on it as was a young Brett (sic) Hart. 

This could be old age playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember Brett Hart was actually someone like Barry Horowitz using the name, rather than it being Bret Hart from Calgary.

Someone please confirm I haven't lost the plot on this one.

This could be old age playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember Brett Hart was actually someone like Barry Horowitz using the name, rather than it being Bret Hart from Calgary.

Actually, you might be right. I think I've gone back and forth over whether it was 'the' Bret Hart. Don't think the tape is still at my mums or I'd have checked.

"Wrestlemania 3" for me. I remember it was a choice between that and the "Best of Saturday Nights Main Event" vid. I picked the weaker one. :(

I got it from the old Virgin Records shop in Union Street in Glasgow. I remember it was packed with grappling stuff around 1992.

WRESTLEMANIA-3.jpg

This was my first. Bought about 1991 from Woolworths. It was £14.99. Not a lot of money now but was then. I didn't have sky and only got into it because everyone else was.

Watching it as a 10 year old I had no idea who a lot were (no web back then) but what an event. Fab value as well as 3 he's long

think mine was wrestlemania 4 double vhs which if i recall cost my dad just over 20 quid from john menzies then a few weeks later uk rampage 91

in the early 90's i was given two full boxes of unopened wcw cards and a vhs tape of europe vs usa? i think the last match on the tape was some sort of steel cage match involving fit finaly and st clare

Actually, you might be right. I think I've gone back and forth over whether it was 'the' Bret Hart. Don't think the tape is still at my mums or I'd have checked.

I thought so. Something in the back of my brain just remembered reading it years ago somewhere.

Anyway, these were my first official tapes, ordered from Silver Vision for Christmas 1990....

hulkamania_zpsmaffgfwc.jpg

summerslam%2088_zpsyjgdq624.jpg

• Moderators

I had a "Lords of the ring" or "Kings of the ring" tape, which had amatuer boxing, kickboxing, and 1983 or 4 JCP on it. If you love The Assassins and King Kong Mosca that was the tape for you. Mosca and his fucking son all over it.

• Moderators

Mine was either the tape in the top right hand side of this pic:

$_1.JPG

Or it was this one:

61CYv5iB0bL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

The USA Championship wrestling tape was matches from one of the territories I think, probably Dallas or Mid-South.  Greg Valentine was on it as was a young Brett (sic) Hart.  The Von Erich tape was weird because he lost the biggest match on the tape and my 6/7 year old self was really confused by why a 'best of' tape had the guy losing.

Going by the pictures of Wahoo McDaniel and Ivan Koloff on the covers, and the mention of Greg Valentine being on it, I'm led to believe it might well have been JCP you were watching on it. 

Archived