Your first wrestling tape? *Pics*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

220px-WWF_Battle_Royal_at_the_Albert_Hal

I remember picking this one out in Boots (yes they used to sell videos) after mithering my mum to be allowed to buy a wrestling video because my mate had some. I don't think she was keen on me wanting to watch such rubbish and I'm pretty sure these were actually pretty expensive for their time. For years it was the only WWF video I had. My favourite memory of watching it was having it on while my Grandad was round and him popping huge for Davey Boy delivering a picture-perfect dropkick.

"Bejesus! Did you see that? The size of that fella- getting his legs right up in the air like that!"

My mum has since told me that he used to love watching WoS back in the day, I can imagine that seeing all the neon colours and coked-up steroid monsters on this video would have been a bit shocking to him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Mine was 2nd Annual Survivor Series too.

With regards blue border cards, I completed the set and still have every card, the No. 1 card was Hogan (pictured in Ian's post) and is raggedy as fuck from how they were stored now, but the rest are pretty much mint condition.

I initially thought Davey Boy and Steamboat must be shite as they had no logos or finishers on the back and were used as 'index cards'

There was one particular Hogan card where it had a black background, he was ripped to fuck draped in a massive Stars and Stripes, Hogan has never looked better than in that picture.

I need to get them out my folks' loft and scan them all in, some of the Sherri cards had her looking mint too.

Macho Man's finisher will always be the 'Super G Elbow Drop' to me because of those cards.

I've looked for my pencil case on google but can't find it, it was early 90s white with three guys on each side hand drawn. My cards are still stored in that case.

My duvet set is nowhere to be found either.

wwfsummerslam19886mxvw5.jpg

Got it for Christmas, me and my brother watched it to death (later on uk rampage 91 too) Harts vs Demolition and Powers vs Bucks are still nostalga greatness, Beefcake getting cut open was a scary angle for a kid to see especially the big censored x aswell, Warrior became my favorite after the honky squash, Bulldogs vs Roguoes is better than I remember, Powers of Pain, BossMan, Jake The Snake...so many names so many memories

Those blue cards had the spaces for autographs, did they not? Seem to remember a lad at school rocking up with a bunch 'signed' by Earthquake, Hulk and the like, who they'd presumably bumped into on their travels in early 1990s suburban South Wales.

• Paid Members

Wrestlemania 16

0USPc84.jpg

We went to WH Smiths for Foley's first book and they didn't have it. My mom got me that instead. I was disappointed with the lack of the book but over the moon to finally own and watch a PPV.

I got Foley's book for my Birthday (possibly Christmas) but what I defiantly got for my Birthday was the Rumble 2000.

xd9GNLi.jpg

I was so happy on a Friday night back then, one of those two one the telly and a Saturday playing Smackdown on the playstation. There was a point I knew every moment of those two shows from watching them so often. Now I've got hundred's of tapes and never feel like watching any of them.

Pretty sure my first wrestling tape was one of the Hogan ones, being a big Hulkamaniac back then (and still now i might add). As far as memories of buying tapes, it was always a worthwhile trip going into town with my mum and sister knowing 1) we'd be going to my favorite toy shop to see what the latest figures were out and 2) we'd go into HMV at some point (back when it was located where the main entrance into Liverpool One is now, next to River Island when that used to be a WHSmith) and as soon as I'd come off the escalator I would zero in on the wrestling section while mum would take my sister to get a Tots TV or Barney video

Another memory of buying tapes was getting knocked back in Asda when I was 15 while trying to buy Starrcade 99, not realising it was rated 18 and having to get my dad to come back over to the entertainment counter with me so I could finally get it. I still have bags full of my wrestling VHS tapes in the loft and have often considered bringing some down to sell on Ebay whenever I browse that site and see listings for tapes

Wrestlemania 16

0USPc84.jpg

We went to WH Smiths for Foley's first book and they didn't have it. My mom got me that instead. I was disappointed with the lack of the book but over the moon to finally own and watch a PPV.

I got Foley's book for my Birthday (possibly Christmas) but what I defiantly got for my Birthday was the Rumble 2000.

xd9GNLi.jpg

I was so happy on a Friday night back then, one of those two one the telly and a Saturday playing Smackdown on the playstation. There was a point I knew every moment of those two shows from watching them so often. Now I've got hundred's of tapes and never feel like watching any of them.

That really does look like "Cactus Jack Big Boy".

Wrestlemania 16

0USPc84.jpg

xd9GNLi.jpg

Yess I had wrestlemainia 16. Is that the one with val venis is refereeing the kat and Terri in a bikini match??

Odd that is the match i remember. but I just remember watching that fight over over again, soo hilarious.

• Paid Members

I spent the rest of that day looking at it every 30 minutes or so and just being so confused. There's a photo of me meeting someone else with a perturbed look on my face where going through my mind clearly is "why has Foley called my big boy? I, I just don't get it"

Did anyone ever won the monthly Silvervision competitions?

I won one and got No Way Out '02 (NWO return) not sure if it was VHS or DVD mind.

I won one. Got the first cage matches dvd, the 2 disc set with the blue cover. I still have it but haven't watched it in years. It was the first time I entered too, I had a go regular after that but once was my lot.

It has a fantastic Magnum TA vs Tully match in full on disc 2 if I remember right. I quit in a cage, TA uses a splinter of wooden chair to the face.

MASSIVE pic under here of 'WCW Best Matches of the 90's':

gGepLV5.jpggGepLV5.jpg

My Dad bought this for my Christmas in 2001, albeit with a different cover to that seen here. I'd never seen any of WCW until this point. It all looked pretty good, considering every match was edited down to five minutes. Amusing that on this video, Flair talks about how great WCW will be in 2000, 2001, 2002...

Oops.

Also amuses me that it says on here 'Not sold in stores', which is exactly what it must've been for my old man to get it. I reckon he got it from Woolworths.

• Paid Members

51A%2BLAJwgYL.jpg

A compilation of the big racist himself.

07/30/88 Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant (steel cage match)

10/03/85 Hulk Hogan vs. Nikolai Volkoff (flag match)

10/25/88 Hulk Hogan vs. King Haku

11/87 Hulk Hogan vs. Ted DiBiase

Like many on here, I wore this out by playing it every day after school, obviously fast forwarding the shit second match.

This tape became valuable currency to a 10 year old wrestling fan with little pocket money but with friends who possesed such tapes as High Flyers, Best of Saturday Night's Main Event, WWF greatest hits, WrestleMania's greatest matches, Ultimate Warrior, then later on the best of hulkamania, summerslam 88 and various wrestlemanias and survivor series tapes.

I'm sure I still have a few in the loft that survived my vhs cull.

• Paid Members

Also amuses me that it says on here 'Not sold in stores', which is exactly what it must've been for my old man to get it. I reckon he got it from Woolworths.

It was originally a video you got if you ordered a WCW Magazine sub, and then it arrived in stores in early 2001. Probably the last WCW video on the market. I still have it for some reason. Got rid of most of my VHS tapes, but that remains.

Archived