Your first wrestling tape? *Pics*

tiger_rick

EDC0802F-A999-4352-9F46-7FF247B7BDB7_zps

Watched this so many times it's unreal. Had it at my grandma's house and she will have seen The Mountie vs. Tito Santana more times than she'd ever wanted to.

I seem to recall that Bulldog v Warlord was heavily edited down and SilverCision cut the spot where Sherri and Earl Hebner get knocked down.

Got it from WH Smiths in Hull Prospect Centre, my mum tried to get me WWF's Funniest Moments as it was cheaper, but just looking at The Bushwackers made me plead my case for a full show

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

afarn4.jpg

Bloody loved the chewy with the stickers wrapped around it. Bought millions of them from our local shop.

Someone on the recent SCG radio mentioned the cards with the blue border. Memories came flooding back. I was so into these things. I had tons. Them and the pro-star football cards around the same time.

cards.jpg

Some of me earliest wrestling memories are being at a friends house and his brother having a ton of those cars with the blue border and the info on the back about height, weight, finishing move, etc. I need to find more.

wblue4.jpg

Summerslam 90 was the first video purchase as showcased above. Power and Glory, who I knew little about, made a huge impression on me destroying the Rockers, who I knew and loved. Hart Foundation being great. Big sympathy for Dusty as his Sweet Sapphire went missing. General disinterest in Brother Love/Slaughter. My jaw dropping at this cool guy blitzing Perfect for the IC title in a couple of minutes. And the double main event that convinced me this tape was a hell of a deal.

My Godfather got me this one

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f0/51/29/f05129acfce136e8388880459a9fe39f.jpg

Not too shabby for a first WrestleMania. Not my first PPV. That honour goes to Vengence 2001 which my Dad taped for me, so that doesn't count. I must've watched The Rock's interview 1000 times and the Hardcore Title segments through the night were great fun. Enjoyed this show a lot.

This was my first one:

big.jpg

I don't remember much about this one, but great nostalgia in this thread! My uncle was my dealer - he'd pop up every now and again and pass on his tapes to me. It feels now like this happened over a period of weeks but I remember still getting tapes from him up to Summerslam 92, so god knows. I also got the aforementioned Bulldogs video, UK Rampage, Royal Albert Hall show, the early Survivor Series PPVs, an Ultimate Warrior compilation, and a "comedy" video (was it WWF's Funniest Moments or something?)

Great stuff :)

The thing I loved the most about getting my first proper tape in a proper box was looking at the pictures of all the other covers of the other available tapes on the inside cover. The bright orange Summerslam and Survivor Series ones in particular sent my tiny 7 year old mind crazy wanting to own them all.

• Paid Members

The thing I loved the most about getting my first proper tape in a proper box was looking at the pictures of all the other covers of the other available tapes on the inside cover. The bright orange Summerslam and Survivor Series ones in particular sent my tiny 7 year old mind crazy wanting to own them all.

Yeah, I remember that feeling. I had some BBC footy videos and they'd have the same. Looked at those things for so long, I even wanted to own 101 great tries and all the other rubbish!

I remember WH Smiths in Hull having a cabinet fitted that had buttons you could press and it would show a couple of minutes of clips from their latest video releases. Not wrestling, sadly, but stuff like Only Fools, Harry Enfield and Chums, etc. All stuff I couldn't afford. I'd watch the clips over and over and that feeling when you finally got the tape was out of this world.

Kids today will be able to just find everything online or subscribe to WWE Network or whatever. Instant gratification. I know I sound like an old bastard, but the beauty is in the anticipation. The reward is much sweeter that way.

• Paid Members

I remember WH Smiths in Hull having a cabinet fitted that had buttons you could press and it would show a couple of minutes of clips from their latest video releases. Not wrestling, sadly, but stuff like Only Fools, Harry Enfield and Chums, etc. All stuff I couldn't afford. I'd watch the clips over and over and that feeling when you finally got the tape was out of this world.

I swear, as someone from Sunderland that sounds like you had a fucking time machine fitted in Hull's WHSmiths. My mind would have been blown if I could watch 30 seconds of the "Only MEEE!" bloke in the store itself. All we got was a free football echo if you spent over 15 quid of Friends videos.

This was my first one:

big.jpg

I don't remember much about this one, but great nostalgia in this thread! My uncle was my dealer - he'd pop up every now and again and pass on his tapes to me. It feels now like this happened over a period of weeks but I remember still getting tapes from him up to Summerslam 92, so god knows. I also got the aforementioned Bulldogs video, UK Rampage, Royal Albert Hall show, the early Survivor Series PPVs, an Ultimate Warrior compilation, and a "comedy" video (was it WWF's Funniest Moments or something?)

That World Tour video was the one I was looking for, after seeing the cover in a magazine, when I ended up getting Summerslam 90. Never did see that tape in Woolworths....

• Paid Members

I swear, as someone from Sunderland that sounds like you had a fucking time machine fitted in Hull's WHSmiths. My mind would have been blown if I could watch 30 seconds of the "Only MEEE!" bloke in the store itself. All we got was a free football echo if you spent over 15 quid of Friends videos.

I can't remember what the other clips where but I vividly remember the Only Fools one was the scene where Delboy is trying to sell Mike the Landlord a mobile phone while Boycie is watching the horse racing. Every time Del presses a button on the phone, the telly turns over. Then when he pushes the aerial down on the phone, the TV picture disappears. Loved that at the time.

Wrestlemania 4 and Beach Blast 1992 were the first ones I bought.  Rented (!) or borrowed before that.  Bought them both at the same time in Woolworths.  Can't remember where it was, I just know it wasn't in the town I lived in.  Imagine by today's standards they were ridiculously expensive.  Still got them both, along with all my other WWE and WCW and a few others videos in a box in my garage that I just can't bring to myself to throw away.

This was my first one:

big.jpg

God - I hated that tape, just because of that fucking bore of a match between Bret and Dino Bravo.

Archived