Your first wrestling tape? *Pics*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What was the first proper wrestling video tape you owned? Or DVD if you're a teeny bopper. First official one with a proper shiny case and lovely cover. No borrows, video shop loans or taping off the telly!

And where did you get it from.

ukrampage_zpshaev4p0m.jpg

Mine was UK Rampage. Bought it from Andy's Records. I got that and Home Alone on the same day. Best Day ever.

I watched it about a hundred times. Absolutely loved it. I was still a huge Hart Foundation fan so I've got a lot of time for the Anvil/Warlod opener and the later backstage scrap over a wicker garden chair or something. Always loved the Bulldog match where he gets his nose bloodied by The Barbarian (?). Jimmy Snuka's music became my favourite watching this show too. Still love it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40205525.jpg

Apologies for the shitty picture.  I got this beauty from Woolworths in Caerphilly.  I actually think I've still got it somewhere.  Watching the PPV on the Network doesn't have anywhere near the amount of allure as watching it, rewinding it and watching it all over again while trying to sort out the tracking.

• Paid Members

image.jpg

Can't recall much about it but I used to watch it an awful lot. I remember it had bits in it with them working out in the gym, I loved the Bulldogs. Pretty sure my Dad got it from a market.

That would be my brother's first tape. I remember him having it. Had singles matches on against the Hart Foundation that we watched over and over. In a really dark arena I seem to remember.

This beauty.

1_0615213202W58.jpg

I'd borrowed tapes before then but this was the first one I ever had bought for me. I still own it and put it on from time to time as some of the stuff from that video isn't on the version on the network for some reason.

The first tape I actually owned was Wrestlemania 8. I have such fond memories of that event. The huge crowd, Shawn Michaels looking cool as fuck, Macho Man vs Flair, all of it blew my tiny mind.

I had no idea who the Ultimate Warrior was at the time so his return was totally lost on me.

wwf-wrestlemania-viii-classic-cover_0.jp

• Paid Members

"Wrestlemania 3" for me. I remember it was a choice between that and the "Best of Saturday Nights Main Event" vid. I picked the weaker one. :(

I got it from the old Virgin Records shop in Union Street in Glasgow. I remember it was packed with grappling stuff around 1992.

WRESTLEMANIA-3.jpg

don't know how to add the pics but my first was the very first wrestling tapes - Ringmasters - The great American bash / Lords of the ring - superstars and superbouts.

Produced by PWI and bought for my by future father in law. The bash was fantastic for the time and Lords was a highlight tape but had the dog collar piper/valentine cage match and randy savage putting ricky Morton through the table with a piledriver.

still have them around in the loft

My mum got me a VHS player for my room for Christmas.   I spent my Christmas money on this at Woolworths, whereas my brother went for a Bulldogs tape: 

Survivors 88:

https://ringthedamnbell.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/survivor_series_1988_dvd.jpg  

Loved the opening tag team match (I don't think it was the opener on the actual transmission for some reason).   I also loved how the seeds of Savage's turn were planted, particularly in the interview with Jesse Ventura.      

I was really starting to get into pro wrestling in the summer of 97, and when I found out the second hand shop near me were selling old WWF and WCW tapes, I was thrilled.

So I saved up my pocket money, and got myself this bad boy

9680_original.jpg

Royal Rumble 1991! This was going to be the first time I watched The Ultimate Warrior wrestle, and I was more pumped than he would have been caining it on a night of roids and cocaine. I got myself a Yazoo Banana Milkshake and some McCain's Micro Chips for the big occasion.

Going in,I had no idea what happened on this show. When Ultimate Warrior vs Sgt Slaughter occured, I thought "Well, Warrior is definitely beating that fat baldie Commissioner (he was the WWF commissioner on TV at the time)". When Sarge beat him for the title, I was flabbergasted! "How the fuck did that sweaty mess pin the muscular and powerful man?" I thought.

The Royal Rumble rolled around after Dibiase and Virgil beat Dusty and Dustin (who I had no idea was currently portraying Goldust), and it was the first time I had watched such a match.

I thought it would just be a huge 30 man battle royal clusterfuck, instead of two men starting, then another one comes out at two minute intervals. That shocked me. What didn't shock me was Hulk Hogan going over. When he was in there with bums like Shane Douglas and Dino Bravo, I knew he'd win it piece of piss.

That video would go on to be my most watched wrestling tape. The Rockers vs Orient Express still remains one of my favourite WWF PPV openers ever.

Nan and Grandad bought me Survivor Series 1990 for my 11th birthday and my mum bought me Pro Wrestling for the Sega Master System.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLaVPZOnumFzDc4MDL_qVa7nP1A_aqwEgW8BYv6hff-lhcnhixuw

Hopefully the image works.

The tape is overly watched obviously but it started my love for Survivor Series elimination matches.

It still works well enough and still has some stickers from the WWF bubblegum on it. It takes its place in my old room at my mum's on shelves full of WWF, ECW and WCW tapes which will all me moved to my new house when the rooms are sorted. Just got to convince the missus to let me put shelves up for them. She wants them all in the loft.

Survivor Series 1988.

51mIxJw8M%2BL._AC_UL320_SR184,320_.jpg

I never knew until I just did the Google image search that America got a crappier VHS cover than we did. With the crappy old 'Survivor Series' logo instead of the proper colourful one on the UK version above.

hqdefault.jpg

My Mum bought me it from ASDA when I started watching Wrestling in 1991.

It's strange in 2016 to think that events from almost two years earlier were on sale in supermarkets, but at the time I remember events were being released on video long after being on TV. 6 months or so as I recall.

• Paid Members

Survivor Series 1988.

51mIxJw8M%2BL._AC_UL320_SR184,320_.jpg

I never knew until I just did the Google image search that America got a crappier VHS cover than we did. With the crappy old 'Survivor Series' logo instead of the proper colourful one on the UK version above.

This was mine as well. My brother is older than me by a few years, so he had a job at the time and bought me this and this:

SummerSlam_1990_DVD.jpg

I'd been a regular WWF viewer through the TV shows and from the video shop, who had loads of wrestling videos in, that I'd rent nightly. Early 90s was so great to be a wrestling fan. I remember porking out of everything wrestling. These images instantly take me back to when I first became a fan. I used to buy all this shit regularly. Bit of a culture shock in around 94, when you couldnt see the WWF logo anywhere without drawing it yourself.

zswr37.jpg

wwfsnacks02.jpg

WWF-Magazine-January-1993-Nailz-Undertak

afarn4.jpg

Archived