Is there a limit to free speech?

SpursRiot2012

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've not read Pats post because, well.....

Anyway from skimming it this may be semi on topic. I would say people's sexual preference seems to have no bearing on people in the social group and working world I've been in. I think I'm very lucky there, and it's not indicative of every where, but people were always very liberal and excepting of personal choice. They might not like it or want to hear about it in detail all the time, but then that's the same for any sexual preference and any topic really. Theres a limit to how much people want to hear or will tolerate droned on and on about for any one topic.

There did seem to be some class elitism from some though.

In the middle class populated white collar profession at one company many moons ago it did seem you can put your willy in, on or near who or what you like as long as you don't slum it on a council estate after 5:30.

• Paid Members

I've just read his comments on Anders Breivik. I have to say I don't agree with him there, multiculturalism is obviously not to blame for the actions of a lunatic. Where I do agree with him is usually in regards to free speech issues, an example being that free speech should be for everyone, not just those you agree with, even idiotic comments about Breivik.

Yep, totally. The thing with professional trolls is the majority are white and straight, then when they are called out on something they say for a reaction, they blame political correctness. Plus they tend to confuse the aforementioned no platforming and free speech.

I'm sure I say a lot of things that people find inflammatory and offensive to their ideals and beliefs, I'm not going to cry when called out on them. If I'm in the wrong, I'll learn from it. As much as I try, I am sometimes informed by people that something I said could be offensive to a minority group, so I take it on board.

EDIT. Recently I joked on Twitter that I wish Hitler HAD won if it meant people stopped idolising Churchill, who I despise. A friend who is Jewish pointed out that while the sentiment was ok, it was pretty offensive to European Jews. I took it on board and apologised.

• Paid Members

Churchill, who I despise

Good to hear someone else doesn't buy the bullshit about that cunt.

I agree that, in principle, people should have freedom of speech provided it doesn't give rise to people attacking or oppressing others, but it's difficult to know where to draw the lines. I've always had it as "my rights end where yours begin", but it requires a definition of what those rights are. If verbal discrimination starts having physical effects, there needs to be a distinctive recognition of that.

For example, under the whole "total freedom" model, an argument could be made that, in a workplace, one person could openly say something like "all black people are lazy", and face no consequences. But surely his/her colleagues have a right to work in a place without being insulted by that person? Or the employer has a right to not want someone like that working in his company, because it's not what he wants his company to be seen to approve of/stand for?

Under a "total freedom" model, there could be no legal framework to dismiss someone who makes racist, sexist or misogynist remarks, even if it affects their colleagues' peace of mind at work. That's why there's a very strong argument for laws that criminalise discrimination.

He was racist, when he was Home Secretary he wanted the army ordered to fire on striking workers. He was as much a populist politician as Blair, hence him starting as a liberal and finishing with the conservatives. And that's just for starters. Utter scumbag of a man.

I'll deffo echo the hate for Churchill, recognised as a complete cuntbag during his first term as first Lord of The Admiralty. The escapades included throwing one of his predecessors 'under a bus' over Dreadnoughts and then some small disaster at Gallipoli, which was his masterplan.

Archived