UFC bans Helwani

jimufctna24

• Paid Members

ok i hear you, my point was that Dana has always gone against the grain and its worked out pretty well for him.

He's rarely the center of attention when it comes to the promotion of an actual fight though, its the stuff beyond the actual fighting that Dana gets involved in and that's his job.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Centre stage Egg, and you know that's what I was referring to. When have you ever seen Dana sitting in the equivalent of Bob's seat?

Promoters are always on stage with their fighters. 

I can only ever recall Mcgregor getting centre stage, and that was after his win against Aldo and Dana wasn't around. 

But was he taking questions unrelated to the fight? I thought that was his point. When it comes to Dana, he makes himself the centre of attention as he is the figurehead of the UFC. Boxing is different due to the alphabet soup belts.

• Paid Members

I just feel people like to make out that Dana is some kind of unique case that puts himself in front of the media to field questions and address issues. He's not, every promoter does that.

• Paid Members

I just feel people like to make out that Dana is some kind of unique case that puts himself in front of the media to field questions and address issues. He's not, every promoter does that.

I understand that there's obviously differences when comparing Boxing. As Houchen mentioned above, boxing is different with all the bodies involved etc.

Perhaps White being in the middle has made it stand out from Boxing too? Who knows. But when it comes down the core point in all of this, and elaborating from what David was saying, I think White really has taken his role (at least if it remains as it is), as far as he possibly can.

There are simply too many eyeballs now on the sport to allow White to continue to do the shit he does. You can't possibly have a figurehead behave in the way he does if they want to be taken seriously by major sports broadcasters. 

Going back to his treatment of Helwani over the weekend, it's made White look like a complete tit. For me, the nature of his position and what is required in today's market has out grown him.

Given the nature of UFC, it makes sense for him to be a figurehead, after all a lot of casual viewers call MMA either cage fighting or they call it UFC regardless of the promotion.

But yeah, him acting like an arsehole isn't really the way to take the sport, or mainly the promotion, to the next level.

The answer to this problem is, sell the UFC to Floyd Mayweather and stick Leonard Ellerbe into the Dana White job;

Leonard+Ellerbe+Floyd+Mayweather+Jr+v+Ro

We'd still have the baldness and the jacked up appearance, with oodles more cool and a splash of racial equality thrown in for good measure.

I doubt he'd take any of Helwani's pish either.

Floyd+Mayweather+Jr+v+Marcos+Maidana+Con

"Sit the fuck down Ariel, you know what happened to Tupac round these parts? That shit can happen to anyone, you feel me?"

• Paid Members

You can't possibly have a figurehead behave in the way he does if they want to be taken seriously by major sports broadcasters.

the same guy that secured and locked down a deal with one of the biggest sports networks on the planet?

Archived