UFC bans Helwani

jimufctna24

• Moderators

That was the same show as Berry vs Grove, Patiirc. A fine day for MMA. Gotta love a promotion that called its personality profile show Cagefighter to the dregs of UK hip hop and jungle as a theme.

Also had an alcoholic journalist train for like 10 weeks and get KTFO by tomato can Badarse Barrett. What the fuck was UK martial arts God and intelligent as hell man Gary "Smiler" Turner doing there?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i'd love for someone to write a warts n' all book about Cage Rage, i bet there's some crazy tales to tell. Legit world class fighters fighting against and next door a load of doormen and shady London characters, fronted by Dave O' Donnell's diamond geezer schtick. It was the UK's bargain basement production version of Pride.

• Paid Members

Also had an alcoholic journalist train for like 10 weeks and get KTFO by tomato can Badarse Barrett. What the fuck was UK martial arts God and intelligent as hell man Gary "Smiler" Turner doing there?

What's the Badarse Barrett/journalist thing all about Butch? i dont recall that?

I do regretfully remember the Badarse Barrett/Alex Reid debacle though. I actually bought the PPV, what a sucker i am.

Just been on the wiki, Barrett was jailed for 6 years in 2012 for supplying guns, i never knew that.

As for Gary Turner, i loved his little run. He got into MMA real late but he was a handy heavyweight, it's a shame he didn't get into the game a few years earlier he might have gone on to fight in the UFC...i was actually at two of Turner's fights. The mess against an ageing Julius Francis and then Turner's legit win against Edson Drago, who was a legit top heavyweight prospect at the time.

• Paid Members

Not to mention Dave Legeno's "winning streak" against legends of the game amd Herb Dean

the Legeno wins are supposed works, not sure about the Herb fight (i was there then too) but the Kimo and Severn fights apparently were. RIP big man.

Dave O'Donnell started one of their shows coming to the ring singing Sex is on fire proper cringeworthy

Richard Blackwood was on there for a while, he was big for a while on MTV and that, then he went on some celeb detox thing and got coffee or something poured up his arse and then seemed to vanish apart from doing Cage Rage shows, they dissapeared and a few years later he was in Eastenders, which I think he still is and probably more popular than ever.

• Moderators

I talk to Smilet on Twitter. Such a class act. He's so un MMA it's unreal. Check his website, man is a mental giant and the exact kind of man who would be a great ambassador for the sport. A male Rosi Sexton

I went to a couple of Cage Rage shows as they normally had a few decent fighters on there. Both shows had the moodiest crowds I have ever seen at any MMA or boxing event. Ringside was full of rich drug dealers and the cast of those straight to DVD football hooligan films. Rest of the crowd seemed to be up for fighting each other more than watching. After seeing some poor bloke sucker punched then 5 guys stamp on his head whilst the security did fuck all, we decided to leave and never go to another Cage Rage.

Dave O'donnell comes across as a total fucking idiot but UK fighters love him. I've never seen any of them say a bad word about him. I think its because he actually pays them on time and alot are used to being messed about by other UK MMA promoters

• Moderators

From fighters I know they couldn't get booked unless they could sell enough tickets to your friends to get on a card.

Which would explain the terrible quality of fighter. Local EAST END NAWTY BULLY (I'm looking at you Jamie Hearn's of the world) could sell them to people they had dealings with and or bullied, whereas an Ashley Pollard, who was 18 and trained himself with a heavy bag in his bedroom and tried, was thrown in the ring massively out of shape to be a jobber for a sted head like Ben Smith. Ashley kimuraed him. Awesome. Same show we're all taking the piss out of in fact. Pollard got treated by British mma like shit

• Paid Members

love the little anecdotes Butch :) maybe you should write the book!

The London MMA scene fascinates me, its full of criminals.

we might need to take this to the UK MMA thread :)

Dave O'Donnell started one of their shows coming to the ring singing Sex is on fire proper cringeworthy

I remember that. We had a good laugh about it on here. The video has since been removed.

Does anyone remember Cage Rage's version TUF that aired on Nuts TV? I never saw it myself, but the trailer was comedy gold. It was a bunch of Devvo's mouthing off and feebly trying to hit the heavy bag. 

I wouldn't be heartbroken if they fucked both Face The Pain and Bruce Buffer off, to be honest. I don't hate Bruce but he's got to be one of the most overrated ring announcers ever. Poor man's version of his brother.

That kind of shit saddens me, man.

Archived