UFC bans Helwani

jimufctna24

Those guys (not sure who they are) are stood behind them, not between them. The way I see it, in Dana's mind he IS UFC, so his self promotion is to benefit his promotion.

Dana's main aim, and most likely the reason why he's butted heads with Conor a few times lately, is to have the UFC as the focal point rather than the fighters.

The day people started tuning in to see McGregor rather than to see a UFC event was the day he got pissed off probably.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Those guys (not sure who they are) are stood behind them, not between them. The way I see it, in Dana's mind he IS UFC, so his self promotion is to benefit his promotion.

steady on Keith, you're looking into this too much. It's common practice for a promoter to stand between fighters during a face off/weigh in. Dana has only ever got between them if it's got physical. It's not some kind of ego play (though he probably does love it)

maxresdefault.jpg

20160116034030_069A2073.JPG

job has its perks...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators

It is an ego play when he tries to split them. How could he, a teacher of boxercise to bored housewives with a beer gut and a massive resemblance to Minty off Eastenders, ever actually be able to come between two proper fighters if it ever actually got heated.

• Paid Members

Dana White turns my stomach sometimes. He's got few redeeming qualities like Vince has (Vince is a dick, but he's quite funny and probably brain damaged). I just want to go up to him and say "you've worked yourself into a shoot, brother" before bidding him good day.

Of course it's an ego play.  As I said, he loves being the centre of attention as it puts eyes on his promotion.  Couple this with his very large media presence as mentioned, it's all about him which makes it all about his company.  After all, he does own, what 10% of it so he has a vested interest.

When people think UFC, they think Dana White.  And fair play.  I just think the way he conducts himself isn't the way forward to the next level is all.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm 100% behind UFC taking a more "sports" feel. They can start by fucking off Face the Pain straight away. Isn't this one just far fucking better?

Stop promoting to meatheads and people with bad tattoos and go for the mainstream money. NASCAR changed it's demo and it's worth an absolute fucking shitload now.

• Paid Members

Of course it's an ego play. As I said, he loves being the centre of attention as it puts eyes on his promotion. Couple this with his very large media presence as mentioned, it's all about him which makes it all about his company. After all, he does own, what 10% of it so he has a vested interest.

ok it may be an ego play to an extent, but its very much standard practice to be stood there when that shit happens.

If Dana's presence brings eyes to the promotion and creates hype then he'd be stupid not to promote and do media, its all about eyes on the product. He's simply doing his job.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm 100% behind UFC taking a more "sports" feel. They can start by fucking off Face the Pain straight away. Isn't this one just far fucking better?

Stop promoting to meatheads and people with bad tattoos and go for the mainstream money. NASCAR changed it's demo and it's worth an absolute fucking shitload now.

Face the pain is plain embarrassing these days.

It's a perfect example of White being a stubborn cunt. I've lost count of how many times I've read fans screaming their wish for a change of an opening theme.

Yet White openly came out stating it would remain. They tried a shambolic remix and it was even fucking worse. They've now gone back to the original.

God knows why he persists with it?

• Paid Members

That's not what people are criticising though, Yolks. Nobody doubts Dana's a good businessman and has helped greatly to get the UFC to where they are. But his behaviour is going to lose them a lot of good will, and, by extension, customers (directly or indirectly), if he carries on the way he does.

Basically, he's done a good job so far, but he needs to start doing things differently if he's going to at best build on it, and at worst not set them back. Behaving like a petulant man-child every time someone doesn't make things easy for him isn't going to help.

EDIT: Sorry, that was to Egg.

Of course it's an ego play. As I said, he loves being the centre of attention as it puts eyes on his promotion. Couple this with his very large media presence as mentioned, it's all about him which makes it all about his company. After all, he does own, what 10% of it so he has a vested interest.

ok it may be an ego play to an extent, but its very much standard practice to be stood there when that shit happens.

If Dana's presence brings eyes to the promotion and creates hype then he'd be stupid not to promote and do media, its all about eyes on the product. He's simply doing his job.

Totally agree.  As I've said, repeatedly, I just don't think he is the guy to take it to the next level.  Butch's NASCAR comparison is spot on.  White is a meathead who appeals to meatheads.

Nevada requires at least one person between fighters at weigh ins, otherwise you get guys like Riddick Bowe punching his opponent or some stupid shit, the UFC usually follow Nevada's lead everywhere around the world because of Marc Ratner.

The reason Bob Arum doesn't stand between Mayweather and Pacqiao is because Floyd isn't promoted by Arum and actually hates his guts.

Archived