Brock Lesnar Returns To UFC.

Haku was offered a chance in UFC in 1995, and he went "fuck that." Bischoff thought Haku could go into the UFC and bring back a collection of body parts which they would hang on the Power Plant wall. Haku was smarter, though

When he was negotiating with WCW, Don Frye and Ernest Miller almost came to blows, when The Cat said he'd beat anyone in UFC because he's a 3 time Karate champion, to which Don replied anyone in UFC would put him on the mat and his karate would be useless. Thus we were robbed of Goldberg vs Don Frye. Imagine how great Frye would have been in pro wrestling?

I haven't seen him wrestling but apparently he was a great heel for New Japan in the late 90's and a big draw, which probably got Pride more interested in the early 2000's

Obviously in the States with more promo time and character work he could have probably managed that but by the time he was doing Pro Wrestling, WCW was a mad house.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone who doesn't watch MMA but wants to know who Lesnar is fighting, it's this guy;

Mark%2BHunt%2BKnockouts%2BRoy%2BNelson%2

hunt-kongo-2.gif

tumblr_mx95cvo3bY1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

14G44ZZ.gif

15cyjaa.gif

I actually think Brock could win the fight if he fights smart and avoids a stand-up confrontation, but if he gets hit he's done. Lesnar doesn't like getting hit, and reacts badly;

2jcedcp1.gif

cain-lesnar24uq4.gif

It's bizarre to think that something as inconsequential looking as some of those strikes could knock someone down, let alone out.

I've been hit in the head on a number of occasions (obviously not by trained MMA fighters) and just gone, 'yeah, what of it?'  At primary school, I smashed my head into a brick wall whilst playing football for example.  Just carried on the day.

• Paid Members

It's bizarre to think that something as inconsequential looking as some of those strikes could knock someone down, let alone out.

I've been hit in the head on a number of occasions (obviously not by trained MMA fighters) and just gone, 'yeah, what of it?'  At primary school, I smashed my head into a brick wall whilst playing football for example.  Just carried on the day.

There we go.

The 19 odd stone behind it helps too, I guess.

• Paid Members

There we go.

He's being a bit simplistic but the last gif David posted before the two Brock ones, I've watched a hundred times and I still can't see how he does so much damage. It's obviously a case of timing, catching him on a sweet spot and when he wasn't defending it but it doesn't look like much.

I watch loads of boxing and it's amazing how often someone appears to eat up big, clean shots and then gets caught with a glancing blow and knocked silly.

• Paid Members

There we go.

He's being a bit simplistic but the last gif David posted before the two Brock ones, I've watched a hundred times and I still can't see how he does so much damage. It's obviously a case of timing, catching him on a sweet spot and when he wasn't defending it but it doesn't look like much.

I think you've nailed it there, to be honest.

Hunt has impeccable timing and is a decorated K1 level striker wearing 4oz gloves. The GIF's do kinda downplay the shots though, I'll admit.

• Paid Members

That shot Rick mentions actually was a perfectly timed uppercut, made all the more devastating by the opponent Chris Tuchscherer ducking into it. I haven't seen the fight in years but I'm sure a couple of different angles on the replays showed it landed clean. It was a short punch so it doesn't look that powerful but coming from someone as seasoned and accurate as Hunt, it was enough. Worth considering as well that Tuchscherer was already groggy and beaten up before that punch landed, to the point his eyelid was ripped open and pretty much hanging into his eye. He was on his last legs then got hit with that uppercut.

I'm no hard man but I used to do a bit of boxing and Muay Thai training in my younger days and I took some fairly flush punches back then. Some I felt fine, some fucked me right up to the point I'd have headaches for a couple of days after. So much more of it is about timing and placement than actual power. The thing with a fighter like Hunt is, he's got the timing, placement and raw power.

• Paid Members

The knockout punch is a weird thing, there's been several occasions over the years where a punch KO's someone that looks like nothing, you usually hear cries of 'fix' but sometimes someone just hits the off-switch.

Classic example, Travis Lutter/Marvin Eastman back in the day. On first glance it looked devastating, but replays showed Lutter barely touched Eastman. Regardless, it knocked him dead.

Travis-Lutter-vs-Marvin-Eastman-UFC-50-O

Yeah I wasn't trying to act the hard man in the slightest.  

It's just I've been hit numerous times, but never knocked out.  And as Rick says (paraphrasing) the skill required to knock some of these big buggers out is admirable.

^^^^

Almost definitely never fought anyone . . . probably cries after stubbing his toe on the skirting board. 

Also, I'm not sure if this is keyboard warrioring or anti-keyboard warrioring, or anti anti-keyboard warrioring.  Or if it's any of those things at all.

Fact of the matter is, I've been hit before, it didn't knock me out.  I've been in fights with rapscallions and vagabonds, I've fought with bouncers and on one unfortunate occasion the police.  I've won some, I've lost some, but I've fought some.  

• Paid Members

Brock used to use Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' as his walkout music most of the time in the UFC. That's the one I associate mostly with his UFC run anyway. He did use other songs as well though.

Archived