Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members
Just now, simonworden said:

Think we'll have to disagree on that one then. Could I know where this corner shop is as if no one is buying it I might pop by one day and pick it up!

Edinburgh. So probably a bit of a trek. I was very excitied to try but was left disappointed.

I have to prepare three questions about Fishing for a quiz, and wondered if anyone here could come up with something that isn't ridiculously easy but the average person with decent general knowledge might have a clue about?

All I have so far (obtained from various google searches) are:

1. Which government department issues Fishing licenses in the UK? (Environment agency)

2. What is the most common carp found in British waters? (Mirror)

I'm not particularly happy with either of those but still need a third, and all I have right now is who wrote the "Fly Fishing" book in an old Yellow Pages advert?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, dopper said:

I have to prepare three questions about Fishing for a quiz, and wondered if anyone here could come up with something that isn't ridiculously easy but the average person with decent general knowledge might have a clue about?

All I have so far (obtained from various google searches) are:

1. Which government department issues Fishing licenses in the UK? (Environment agency)

2. What is the most common carp found in British waters? (Mirror)

I'm not particularly happy with either of those but still need a third, and all I have right now is who wrote the "Fly Fishing" book in an old Yellow Pages advert?

Does it have to be about sport fishing? The Cod Wars is a pretty interesting little period of history that caused some significant international changes to come about. Quite scan through Wikipedia could give you plenty of potential questions?

The mention of a new Charlie Brooker show has jogged my memory about an incident that tickles me still.

I saw him once on my way to work, standing underneath the destination boards at Waterloo looking lost, and being a big fan, went up to him and told him I liked his column in the Guardian (yes, that is incredibly middle class). He was very polite and said he was glad and that was that.

Went to work and told a colleague who was also a big fan, and one of the secretaries overheard me and went a bit over the top with her reaction: "OH MY GOD! I can't believe you met Charlie Brooker!" over and over, to the point where I thought it was a bit weird. To be honest, I was surprised she knew of him; this was some years ago.

She then proceeds to throughout the day look at me, and every time I catch her eye, she gives a little "tsk" and a chuckle and says to herself "Charlie Brooker" and I think well this is strange, and at nearly home time, I hear her on her mobile to HER MUM IN AUSTRALIA telling her she's ringing to tell her that "Garry met Janine Butcher this morning".

It still makes me smile.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, dopper said:

I though, and a quick Google confused me so I'm hopeful of the UKFF brainboxs, that DEFRA was the government department and that department oversees government sanctioned & funded agencies like EA. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I though, and a quick Google confused me so I'm hopeful of the UKFF brainboxs, that DEFRA was the government department and that department oversees government sanctioned & funded agencies like EA. 

Defra are also responsible for this tremendous advert.