Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Are Christmas Cards dying off? We got the usual off the close family, but only one in ourĀ flats and she wasĀ about 85. Six flats here. We get on with everybody. So what about you guys huh? How many d'ya get?

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I really hope they are, Baz. They're a waste of postage in this day and age. Back in the day, before social media you'd have friends (and family) that you genuinely hadn't seen or spoken to for over a year and sending cards was a way of keeping that friendship intact. Nowadays, through Facebook you probably know what they had for dinner last night, so what's the point of cards.

When I get a card, I pretend to read them (I just skim to the end to see who it's from) and lay it on top of a pile of other cards that I'll never end up hanging or standing up. Obsolete, as Matt Hardy would say.

I reckon so. I got no cards except off my work and other half.Ā 

Even my parents didn't bother sending a card this year which has upset my fiancee because we went back to the UK last year and she got showered neither gifts etc and this year nothing. She doesnt quite grasp that it's about Ā£5 to send one card into here so without other mail my mum can't be arsed. Also anything valuable gets pinched en route.Ā 

Ā 

I'm glad if it's a dying form as apart from when I find comedy cards or to my 90 year old nan they seem like a east of fucking money

• Paid Members

Do you have a surname?

Do you want to know how many people share your surname and which country they come from?

Then check this out. Forebears have created a global heat map which shows you hope popular your surname is around the globe.

http://forebears.io/surnames

(Credit to Vice FB page)

For example:

2E2EFD2A-1F69-4EE0-B1AC-6D8268C2173A.jpeg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I love that website, it's fascinating to find out where certain names originate from.

It also proves that my surname is far more common than the misspelled version of my surname, SO WHY DOES EVERY COMPANY INSIST ON MISSPELLING IT WHEN I JOIN THEM

Edited by PunkStep

I went to Hobbycraft today and something was very odd. Ā Over the PA they had music playing, fair enough, however it was soundalikes of obscure hits. Ā First up was Clementine by Not Mark Owen, then Standing Still by Not Jewel. Ā All Outta Love by Not Anastasia followed, then Groovy Kind Of Love by Not Phil Collins. Then came the strangest one.

Falling In Love Again by Not Eagle Eye Cherry.

Now, if you were going to go for an EEC song, it would be Save Tonight, wouldn't it? Ā Then Not Elton John's I Want Love followed it.

I understand it's probably cheaper to have these instead of the real thing but the selection of songs sounds like a compendium of answers from Pointless. Ā I've been thinking about this since leaving the shop. Ā Do they have a committee to decide which songs to have? Ā Do they choose the unfamiliar ones in the hope nobody except a handsome midlander who loves Only Connect and wins the Fab Cafe quiz with regularity will notice? Ā Is there a Hobbycraft Stars In Their Eyes house band who record these?

Baffling.

• Paid Members

I actually love the idea of that. Shit covers of B sides. Poundland up here had a knock of Christmas music selection last week, silent night and rock and roll Christmas were the only two I heard. However, both were performed by the same over the top warbler,Ā over what sounded like Casio demo tracks.

• Paid Members

I worked in the newsagents' McColls which had it's own pretend radio station, McColls FM. We were never told how the music was playlisted, but Dreadlock Holiday by 10CC was played every single day without fail, even during Christmas when the only other songs were Christmas songs.Ā 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I worked in the newsagents' McColls which had it's own pretend radio station, McColls FM. We were never told how the music was playlisted, but Dreadlock Holiday by 10CC was played every single day

So not just one night?